Where To Get New PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kevstarkie, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kevstarkie

kevstarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Think it might be time to upgrade my Pc. Its about 5 years old and from Time. It makes a bit of noise so ideally would want a much quieter PC.

Where would the best place to get one to what I want but still to a smallish budget. Don't know much about PC's but do know what I want from it. Want it to be quiet fast. Mainly use PC for internet, a bit of music and maybe some films and games. Also would like it to have HDMI so I can connect it to my TV that way.

Thinking if it is not too expensive would like a blu ray drive but also still would like a dvd writer.

So before I go on and on, can anyone recommend what i'm describing, the likely cost and where it is best to get it from, cheers.

2. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like you'll be best off taking a trip to your nearest PC World if you want to browse and try out some different machines. Once you know, or are more sure, of the spec you want and your budget then you can buy pick one up from there or come home and browse the internet to compare prices from other suppliers. There are many to choose from and you will probably get a better deal online than buying from a store. Hope that helps.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I would rather set my money on fire than give it to PC world for a PC.

The people in the store are your absolute best friend prior to buying. But then when you have a problem, which with PC's you invariably will at some point. They become the most difficult people to even communicate to.

Personally if you want to buy a ready made PC the front runners a Dell.

You can also haggle with them on the telephone as the cost they list isn't necessarily the cost they will sell it to you for. Make sure though you ask them about putting a good PSU into your PC if your going for a top of the range Dual/Quad core setup.

I personally would buy the PC parts yourself from Ebuyer and then go to a local reliable PC store to have them fit it up for you.

It would cost about £25-40 for them to fit it all up but you are getting a bargain as the parts are usually cheaper separate than they are ready made. Plus if you buy separates you will be getting much better quality hardware than whats inside ready made PCs and to your exact specifications that suite you.

Plus you can use your current Windows CD from your current PC in your new PC (as quite a bit of the cost of prebuilt PC's goes to the Windows licence).

Finally if you buy a new PC prebuilt today you are almost always now forced to buy into Vista.

If you want some suggestions.

Buy an Asus Intel ATX Socket 775 Motherboard. (~£70)
    A Socket 775 Dual or Quad Core Duo processor. (£100-£150)
    2 Sticks of 1GB DDR2 Ram (£30).
    Seagate SataII Hard Drive (£50)
    ATI HD 3850 Graphics Card (£100)
    Premium PSU 650W - at least for this setup (~£70) (Corsair PSU's are most recommended and by far quitest)
    PC Case (£50)
    SataII DVD Burner (£20)

Thats, if my maths is ok, £560 for a high top of the range PC. Another say £40 max for someone to fix it all up, that is a super high spec PC for £600.

You can also add a Pioneer Blu-Ray BD Rom drive for £95 making £695 total.

(Or conversly an LG Blu-Ray burner for £160 making it £760 total)

4. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I wanted the benefit of picking my own parts but have someone else build it for me thereby providing a warranty on the build.

I went to CCL Online for this and have been very pleased.

If I remember the build cost was between about £40-£80 depending on whether it was a straight XP build or a Media Centre one with tv cards ets that needed setting up.

5. kevstarkie

kevstarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That is what I would like to do but have no idea what is needed to make a fully working PC or what parts are good when I do know. Like anthony gave a few suggestions, is that all that is needed. Can anyone if I tell them exactly what I need come up with the parts that will best suit my needs?

6. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The best piece of advice i've heard on here for a long time!! :clap:

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Its not that complicated to build up your own PC (especially if you are getting a professional to actually fix up the parts).

All you need is a:-

1. PC Case (Decide if its Micro ATX or Full ATX (if you decide MicroATX this will usually mean you must continue with all of the other parts at MicroATX too).

2. ATX/MicroATX Motherboard (Asus would be the best to go for in this regard IMHO). Likely a Socket 775 Intel Motherboard is what you will want.

3. Processor (CPU), make sure its the same socket as the motherboard. So what you likely will be wanting is a Retail (not OEM) Socket 775 Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad Processor for an Asus Socket 775 Intel Motherboard.

4. Graphics Card, Not essential but if you want to play games or watch Blu-Ray it will be. 16x PCI express is the type of Graphics card you will likely need. (ATI HD 3850 Pro or Nvidia 8800GT are the two front runners for either manufacturer).

5. Memory - Check the specs for your motherboard to see what speed it will take, e.g PC6400, PC4200 etc. Then buy two 1Gig sticks of that exact same speed memory. Corsair, Crucial, Ocz are the top three memory brands.

6. Power Supply. I would suggest a Corsair HX 620w for your needs.

7. Hard Drive, either SATAII or IDE. - SATAII is the future and also due to them having much smaller cables will allow better airflow inside your PC. The two front runners for decent Hard Drives are Seagate (which I would say are the best) or Western Digital.

8. DVD Burner, same applies to Hard Drive. Pioneer, Samsung, LG, NEC. I would say are the top burners.

9. OEM Pioneer Blu-Ray BD-Rom drive

That is your PC built there. The only other thing you need is a Windows Installation CD. But if you already own a PC then likely you will already have this (or at least the licence serial to register which is all you really pay for when buying windows)

8. Sy4

Sy4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anthony :-

Agreed with the burning money theory ;)

All in, I would say either A) Buy components and build - really isn't that hard! - Anthony has answered the hard part ;) or B) as Anthony also suggested, get the component company to build and ship to you (a better option for a technically challenged person like my Mum :))

However, I would say eBuyer has a half decent reputation. As for CCL, I've had no ends of problems with them. Scan isn't to bad either :)

Rgds
    Matt