Where to get Christmas (Goose) Dinner from

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a Goose for when i have Xmas Dinner with my parents.

Step Dad is a top cook so I said I'd get him a nice goose (one of my faves) if he will cook it:D

Question is, weather to trust a supermarket or try and get something better (don't mind paying more for top quality) elsewhere.

Should i try a local butchers. Is there anywhere online for this sort of thing? Farm shop?

What say the AVF members?

I want to get a Goose for when i have Xmas Dinner with my parents.

Step Dad is a top cook so I said I'd get him a nice goose (one of my faves) if he will cook it:D

Question is, weather to trust a supermarket or try and get something better (don't mind paying more for top quality) elsewhere.

Should i try a local butchers. Is there anywhere online for this sort of thing? Farm shop?

What say the AVF members?

Waitrose will order really nice stuff in.

First, why don't you pop down your local butcher and see what they can source for you?

I would say go to a good local butcher and buy a fresh one from there. We always buy our Xmas meat from a local butcher (had goose, beef etc.). Never been let down with the quality. Costs a little more than the supermarkets but this is more than made up for by the quality etc.

I'd try a local (decent) butchers first off. That's where I got my last one. We also have a Goose farm near us that has boards out at Christmas so worth checking if you have one in the area. Might be cheaper if you cut out the middle man

Not cheap though, my one cost £60 and it fed about 5 of us. You get a lot less meat than a Turkey. Any supplier will get you the right size for the number of people

Proper British traditional bird though and so much better than boring Turkey. I either do Goose or Rib of Beef these days

Aye, quick browse on various websites (Waitrose etc) suggests it's £50-£80 for a bird:eek:

That's almost as expensive as a real bird, in some places. Though that's for another thread:blush:

So £5 Chicken or £60 Goose then!

I've not had Goose for a couple of years so well overdue and, it is for Christmas:D

Last edited:
These people do geese, if they are local to you Contact

The fresh goose we bought the other year was about £50 but so much nicer than a frozen turkey. Fresh may cost more but worth it for a once a year splurge.

We had a vote last year and decided we didn't really want a Xmas dinner, so we had a variety of curry instead from our favourite restaurant.

It was excellent, poppadoms, spiced onions, mango chutney and all the traditional trimmings.

Was it open on Xmas day? Not seen a take away open on Xmas day but would be a good option.

Never truly understood the fascination with goose. The bird is the size of a Nissan Micra (it certainly feels that way during prep) but feeds a weirdly small amount of people. It then covers bloody everything with fat. In the case of potatoes, this is good. In the case of every millimetre of your oven and anything that the bird and the tray comes into contact with, this is less good. I'll eat it in restaurants but I can't be arsed to turn my kitchen into fat world doing it at home again. For the price of a good fresh bird, there are some amazing beef and venison options.

There is a farm near us that prepare them, get goose and turkey. Seem to have way more taste than supermarket ones (our butcher has closed).

There is a guy on these forums who owns a farm doing goose. Give ther search function a go, I am sure you will find him.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom