1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get a good deal

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by m@rk, Sep 24, 2003.

1. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Well at long last after building a number of high end machines for people I know, I have decided to put my hand in my pocket and upgrade my home PC.

So I need a new main board, graphics, CPU and memory.

I tend to use CCL as they are local to me but seeing that this is for me, I am looking to save a bit of cash which will help me build something better (if you know what I mean).

So who out there is doing good deals on components at the moment (especially on Intel CPUs)?

Cheers

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i dont think you will get a "deal" on an intel based pc TBH. amd's are so much cheaper that i couldnt recommend intel to anybody but the most stupidly wealthy.

3. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I was waiting for the whole AMD vs Intel thing to kick off.

Whilst I do not want to spend hours debating this, one this is for sure. For the apps I am going to be running on this, Intel will give me far better performance than AMD ever will.

If I was just using it as a HTPC or even a games machine, maybe but for a lot of the apps I am running, the AMD route would introduce stability issues never mind a performance hit.

As such, I am quite happy to pay the extra and get the extra.

Thanks

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it's amazing how some people can be so misinformed about amd's stability issues. there are no issues. much like nvidia vs ati, 99% of it is BS produced by fanboys trying to defend there camps.

Hey, whatever though. the choice is yours afterall. I never told you to go either way, but then i can see both companies for what they are worth. statements like:
    would suggest you give into those fanboy statement a little too much..........

anyway, tell us more about what you are going to be doing, then we can suggest you a pc.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intel all the way, baby. I guess AMD's are similar to Mario Andretti. They crash alot. :)
    What about..

Asus P4P800 - i865PE Springdale 800fsb DDDR Lan 2xSATA/133 USB2x8 6Ch Audio £96

2.4GHz (PG-800FSB) HT Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache £141

Crucial 512MB DDR PC2700

DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 6ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64 £61.09

128MB Gainward (4011) *x8* U6508X-XPGS TV/DVI GF4 AGP Ti4200 with TV Out/DVI £121

Or ATI (if using for HTPC for Plasma/PJ)

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    :rolleyes: mine doesnt. hasnt crashed for the last two months apart from when pushing the overclock.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I use www.pcindex.co.uk to look up prices of components since it takes out a lot of the leg work.
    I tend to get most of my components from www.overclockers.co.uk since they seem to cater for the high end performance kit over anything else. Their prices are quite competative and the service is hard to beat. They even offer a forum for like minded computer enthusiasts for all your questions/research.

as for Amd V's Intel I currently go for Amd since you get more for your money. I've had no stability issues with any amd system I've built and would not hesitate in recomending their chips to anyone. If intel however offered a chip comparable in performance at a cheaper price then I'd buy intel. Until that's the case I'll stick with AMD.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They don't allow "this" type of research though ;)

Komplett always good on prices & service too, although their site is in a bit of a shambles at present :(

9. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Sorry but some of the apps I run have been custom written and whenever we have run them on AMD, they have crashed.

They include a number of security and network modelling apps which as well as being processor intensive, just don't like AMD.

It's nothing to do with marketing or perceptions, just hands on experience.

Besides, when I have looked at AMD for other machines, by the time you have factored in the CPU, memory and main board, there is very little difference in cost anyway.

10. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I'm saying nothing so as not to upset those AMD fans here :)

Looks ok

I was thinking of something faster

Who else ;)

The plasma will have to wait until next year :(

Thanks

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    I haven’t had a crash because of using an AMD chip in 8-10 years.