1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get a cheap laptop?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oreoboy13, Jun 22, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am cutting up my currect PC to make a HCPC, this leaves me needing something for more casual use.

I would like a laptop and i only need it to do the following;

Run XP
    Web Browsing
    E-Mails
    Run XP Office
    Run a CDRW
    NO GAMES or anything graphically intense.

Tell me if i am wrong but i dont think need anymore than say ;

800 Mhz Duron
    128Mb Ram
    15Gb HD

But i cant find anywhere that sells laptops this lowed (Cheap) spec. I cant see th epoint of getting a 1.2 GHz pentium its just over kill for what i want.

IF anyone can point me in the right direction or has any comments it would be appreciated.

2. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Don't know if it meets your spec's but Dell Outlet have a Celeron 1.06 based laptop going for £586+VAT.20g HD 256Ram
    But it looks like only one in stock.
    Go to Dell's UK website and then select Outlet

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Look at the HP Celeron XE3 laptops for example, or the Toshiba Celeron on offer at PCWorld.

I'm like you but am looking at more potent ones, ie, the Dell Inspiron 8200 that does it all with a good graphics and! audio out via a coax! However, £1700 ish. If I'd ahd that on me right now, they have a special on with big discounts and extra memory etc.

I've looked at the following sites for pc's in the last two to three months-

www.carrera.co.uk
    www.hp.com
    www.toshiba.co.uk
    www.pcworld.co.uk
    www.jungle.com
    www.rockdirect.co.uk
    www.meshcomputers.com
    www.dabs.com

I don't know how far you've looked into it, but this small sample of 'lots' of sites I've been to will definately produce what you are looking for.