1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get a Bryston 9B demo ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TT9, Jan 15, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

I am slightly disatisfied with my current amplification and thinking about a change. When I made the purchase I had not given avforums enough time and research and wonder if I would have be best suited with a Bryston. The general opinion seems to be that its output is a lot more 'weighty' than what I have now - 100x5R. My own music taste tends on the side of bass-ier type listening and while the treble, clarity, and stereo imaging are IMHO awesome, the bass is sadly lacking.

Of course I demoed the tag unit before purchasing but having lived with it for a couple of months now, I am wondering if this was something I originally didn't pick up on, or all the avforum posters citing all things Bryston are just playing tricks with my mind !! :)

So anyway, I would like to demo a Bryston 9B. Does anyone know of any dealers in the London area who would be kind enough to lend my an amp for a weekend so I can do some back to back tests and decide for myself whether I need to take a course of action.

Many thanks,
    Steve.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I have a list of all the Bryston dealers in the country sitting on my desk. :cool: In the London area there are only two:

Auditorium, 112 New Kings Road, SW6.
    The Cornflake Shop, 37 Windmill Street, W1T.

(Some other dealers may be able to get Bryston equipment for you, as they deal with PMC who are Bryston's UK distributors, but they are unlikely to have Bryston kit in stock).

I have had some dealings with Cornflake (which is just off Tottenham Court Road) and found them to be very friendly and helpful. I actually bought their old Bryston 9B THX (so you'll be getting a demo of the new and improved 9B SST if you go there now). They stock Tag McLaren equipment as well as Bryston (and indeed also Arcam, Lexicon, Naim...) so you can do a side-by-side comparison. I have no idea whether they will allow you to do an in-home demo.

Cornflake's website (with contact details) may be found here.

I think my Bryston amp is a big step up from the Tag 5x100R. I haven't heard the new version of the 9B, but I would hope that it's even better. Also IMO very good (but very different) and available at a similar sort of price is the Meridian 558.2.

One slightly cheaper option you might consider is the Arcam P7. To my ears it's substantially better than the Tag, although not as good as the old Bryston. It's good value as you get seven channels rather than five (for £2500 list price), and even if you think you're only going to use five it's designed to make it really easy for you to use the spare two channels for bi-amping.

Some people also swear by the Parasound HC2205. I wasn't that impressed with it myself, but tastes differ. (At least one fellow round here prefers it to the Meridian 558).

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou bagpuss for that excellent reply. I will take my concerns forward with Cornflake immediately and be sure to let you know the outcome.

Cheers.
    Steve.
    :cool: