Question Where to find the best picture quality for GoT Season 8?

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones Forum' started by NicolasB, Apr 17, 2019.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,067
      I recorded the initial showing of GoT s08e01 on Sky Atlantic HD on my old Sky HD box, but the low bit-rate absolutely kills the image quality.

What's the best-looking, high-bitrate version of GoT season 8 that's available?

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,480
      Probably the inevitable 4K Blu ray when its released.

I guess its only on Sky in the UK so not many options, Maybe a new Sky box ?

3. Robothamster

Robothamster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14,256
      I have Sky Q and PQ is pretty poor on that as well.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,067
      I'm not quite that patient. :)

Some streaming service somewhere must have it in at least slightly better quality than that, surely?

I'm planning to discontinue my Sky subscription in the near future, so I don't want to get locked in for another 12 months.

5. stoplis

stoplis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +953
      The only way to watch it streaming in the UK is via Sky Now TV which is 720p, trust me it is terrible picture quality. Apple and Amazon haven’t got it to buy the next day like they normally do with other TV programmes.

6. dickyarundel

dickyarundel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +124
      Only season 1 available 4k atm,as far as I am aware.Would be nice if they were to release the rest of the series in 4k first.

7. daniel peterson

daniel peterson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      Did you guys find any other way?

8. jacksoninho

jacksoninho
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I bought GoT season 7 episodes immediately after that season finished on Amazon Prime but I'm not sure if it will be the same for this seaon.

For the OP, the only way around this as far as I can see is to suck it up and watch it on No TV with 720p and no surround sound. Not sure if Sky GO supports HD but from what I've read it doesn't support surround sound. Alternatively, avoid online news social media sites and wait until it comes out on Amazon Prime.

9. daniel peterson

daniel peterson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      My initial strategy was exactly the same, to wait out the WINTER, until it's released on Amazon. But the majority of my friends happen to be huge fans of GoT, so it's impossible to avoid spoilers. Even if they do not tell you what exactly happened, the way people around you talk about it may give away a lot. Eventually, 2 days after the first episode came out, I succumbed to poor quality GoT.

10. jacksoninho

jacksoninho
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Yep. It's massively disappointing, one of the biggest TV shows in recent times deserves a proper platform. I would happily have paid more for the privilege of watching it on a quality stream. NOW TV was supposedly due to support 1080p and 5.1 by the end of 2018 but obviously that hasn't happened. I have Virgin Media and no sign of Sky Atlantic support on there either. Like you, I think it's too risky with spoilers to hold off waiting until Amazon Prime so I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Now TV pass this week.

11. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,340
      Supposedly because people are currently leaving Sky in their droves, and they don't want them just opting for NowTV. Which is vastly cheaper and with no contract. I guess if they keep the quality of it low, they're hoping people with 4K TV's especially will keep or opt for a Sky sub instead.

But after the footy season finishes and GoT is done, I can't even see a reason to have a Sky sub!

Having watched some of the Amazon shows like Jack Ryan, and Netflix content too in 4K and HDR, watching GoT is like watching an SD 480 broadcast. Which for the biggest TV show around is tragic.

12. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,659
      I'm watching on Now TV on catchup and don't find the quality particularly bad. There is awful banding in some dark scenes but from what I noticed with season 7 the NOW TV catchup PQ is better than the SKY live stream from NOW TV. It's also better than the smaller size illegal downloads (allegedly).

If I didn't keep reading NOW TV was 720p I'd have guessed it was a lowish bit rate 1080p. Well lit daylight scenes look fine to my eyes. Maybe some TVs upscale 720p better than others.

13. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,340
      Undoubtedly true. I also believe the built in apps on the Smart TV's are better than the actual boxes connected via HDMI. If anyone even uses them anymore!!

I think it's also a case of us being used to 4K content now. This is a similar thing to when we first got Sky HD and used to switch from 1080 to 480. Now if I watch an episode of something in 4K then switch to NowTV, it looks absolutely horrendous. No matter how good the 720p might be!

Anyways, hopefully going forward most things will be 4K as standard. Amazon's 4K/HDR is glorious, and obviously Netflix is great as well. It's just a pity 8 years ago Sky was the only real goto for the big TV shows.

14. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,582
      I thought that episode 2 on the 0200 viewing, which I recorded, was better than episode 1. Still not great but still I enjoyed it. Absolutely nowhere near as good as any of the offerings from Netflix for picture quality.

I have Netflix as part of my SkyQ package but the picture quality on my Panny's built in app is certainly better than Sky's offering.

15. jacksoninho

jacksoninho
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I'll be watching from my LG TV's built in Now TV app, will be interested to see how it stacks up.

Still won't get 5.1 though. I've re-watched the Battle of the Bastards episode on season 6 which I bought on Amazon and the surround sound was superb.

16. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,340
      That's interesting as well. My friend has it through Sky and says the app on his Samsung is also better quality he's convinced than using the Sky.

Just dodgy Sky by the sounds of things. I said in the deal thread, after I cancelled my Q installation they are ringing me every day. But they're gonna have to offer it to me for basically nothing for me to consider it.

17. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,582
      I rang Sky to see what kind of offer they would come up with and I'm now paying far less with fibre broadband, SkyQ 2tb and Netflix than I was for standard broadband and HD+. So fairly happy.

This may interest you.
      How to get a good deal - Part 2

18. jacksoninho

jacksoninho
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      I watched the first episode last night and it wasn't too bad at all. I'd prefer the detail of HD/4k but the key point was that it didn't detract from the GoT 'experience'. I'm not sure if my setup is upscaling but the picture appeared pretty good to me. There was some blur when it was panning across a so I expect some of the battle scenes later on could suffer ('panning', apologies for the crap technical term). In fact, this is what put me off using NOW TV in the first place as the picture is appalling when the camera is panning across when watching football. I was also getting some rear speaker action.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    19. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +872
      Watched the second episode last night via sky Q, lots of dark scenes and the picture quality was horrendous!!! My children were watching a daft Pet/animal series earlier and the image quality was outstanding. I am staggered that one of the biggest TV shows in history hasn't been filmed in UHD. It's old technology now, when is it going to become mainstream!?!?!?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    20. AVFan_01

AVFan_01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      The picture quality for me is ok. What I find annoying is the some of the scenes are way too dark, like the scenes shot in the crypt. I have to turn the brightness upto max to see the background.

I got the feeling that epsidoe 3 is a night time episode, I wont see much at all.

21. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,067
      The picture quality for the latest episode on Sky Atlantic HD was beyond atrocious. A mess of blur and posterisation from start to finish - half the time I genuinely couldn't even work out what was going on, it was so bad.

Well, this is going to make it a lot easier to cancel Sky, that's for sure. No point in hanging on for the chance to watch high-profile shows if the picture is so bad there's no pleasure in watching.

22. RiceRocket

RiceRocket

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,516
      I would find it strange that Sky wouldn't put out the best possible picture for its flagship show?
      Is there anybody here in AVF land that can evidently (eg compression, bit rate etc) show so?

23. stoplis

stoplis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +953
      I watched it live on my laptop via Sky Now TV over 4g and thought the picture was very good.
      Watched it again today on the Now TV app on my AppleTV 4K on my 49” TV and I thought it was terrible with a much faster internet speed.

I read this and a lot of people were complaining about the streaming quality in the US and UK. In the US you can watch it on Amazon and it has double the bitrate.

How to fix your TV settings for a rewatch of last night’s Game of Thrones

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    24. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,340
      This is a combination of Sky and HBO. It's a disaster combination.

HBO picture quality is merely decent at best. I'm not sure why. If you watch a Showtime show like Billions or Ray Donovan, even during dark scenes, they are vastly superior in quality.

I'm not sure what Sky are upto though at their end either, as there's no way HBO are solely responsible for such a shambles of a picture. This is by far the worst I've seen, it can't be any better than 720p. It's baffling why it's looking so poor.

It's keeping me away from Sky anyway these days. When I can watch 4K and HDR on Netflix and Amazon for a fraction of the cost.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    25. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,582
      Pretty sh*t it has to be said, almost unwatchable at times.

26. stoplis

stoplis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +953
      It’s bad when you can get much better quality by torrenting/stealing when you want to pay money to get it. I would’ve happily paid the £25 or whatever to have each episode on iTunes the next day like most shows in nice decent bitrate 1080p. Instead I’m paying for NowTV and getting a poor quality 720p rental.

27. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,262
      Indeed, I’d have paid to watch final season in local IMAX, had HBO continued their partnership, rather than put up with the horrendous posterisation on NowTV last night.

28. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,112
      I know, I would have too. It seems strange that they wouldn't.

I think this last season would have been epic to watch at the cinema. The extra revenue it would have brought it for HBO would have been nice as well.

As @richp007 said, other networks have far superior picture quality to HBO and have had for a while. Another fantastic show with excellent picture quality is Billions. Showtime again, and available in UHD on Sky Q. Seems like a missed trick by HBO all round.

29. nonsoloinglese

nonsoloinglese

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +168
      Last night was horrific on Sky however it seems its bad globally. Trying to find a file that i can compare it with apparently some 1080p torrents flying around.

30. richardb70

richardb70
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,460
      Even a large 4Gb 1080p torrent (with Dolby Digital+) looked rubbish.