Where to demo JVC HD1 in North West pretty sharpish

welshy

I live in North Wales so need to demo somewhere in North West England. Will also need advice on type of screen and mounting etc from retailer, any recommendations?

Perhaps while you're here you could tell me what type of screen I should be considering to give me a heads up, not necessarily the make and model (but would help) more the material, colour and gain etc. The room has no windows and will be in complete darkness.

Avi

Distinguished Member
I live in North Wales so need to demo somewhere in North West England. Will also need advice on type of screen and mounting etc from retailer, any recommendations?

Perhaps while you're here you could tell me what type of screen I should be considering to give me a heads up, not necessarily the make and model (but would help) more the material, colour and gain etc. The room has no windows and will be in complete darkness.

Welshy

I'm not aware of any in the North West but Creative video (www.creativevideo.co.uk) in Warwickshire may be the closest if they have a demo unit. PJ Hi Fi has a demo unit but are in Guildford.

Some questions re screen advice -

What screen size do you want?
How far is the PJ from the screen ?
How will your seating be arranged and how far from the screen?
How do you plan to mount the PJ i.e. ceiling or stand ?
What colour/material is the wall, ceiling, floor etc of the room ?
Do you want to achieve a "cinema" or "TV" level of brightness ?

AVI

welshy

Thanks Avi, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Room is 2.3m wide x 5m long and pj will be at most 4.5m away (lens to screen.)

Seating about 3m away from screen.

Walls will be dark brown, ceiling white (or not?), floor will be brown carpet.

Since this is a garage conversion i can mount pj how i want so will put on DIY shelf on back wall.

Using projectorcentral calculator for HD1 throw of 4.5m, it recommends a screen width of 163cm (64"), is this correct? It does seem rather small. Or can the image be widened on the JVC to say fill an 80" screen?

jacko5

Since this is a garage conversion i can mount pj how i want so will put on DIY shelf on back wall.

Using projectorcentral calculator for HD1 throw of 4.5m, it recommends a screen width of 163cm (64"), is this correct? It does seem rather small. Or can the image be widened on the JVC to say fill an 80" screen?
That is deinitely wrong. You should be able to project an 80" wide image from about 9ft.! at a guess, making full use of the zoom capabilities.

Avi

Distinguished Member

Welshy

With a throw of 4.5m you can achieve an image size of about 75" to 140" depending on the zoom position. The smaller image size will result in greater contrast and given your room width the limit would be around 100" diagonal (49x87" image area + borders ~6")

To maximise the contrast I would recommend a dark coloured ceiling and the use of velvet type material were possible. Reflected light bounced off the wall etc can affect the contrast ratio. Given the proximity of the walls and ceiling to the screen I would suggest 6' of velvet around the side walls at the sceen end of the room.

Your wall mount should be fine and will avoid too much lens shift.

With 100" or less I would use a matte white unity gain screen based on this room. This will still produce a punchy image with good black levels without any off axis shift or hot spots of a higher gain material. If you want a very brighter image then a 1.3 gain. I would avoid very high gain in your setup.

There are lots of options and I assume you will be using a fixed screen? If so Da-Lite (Da Mat (1) or Cinema Vision materials (1.3)) and Carada offer decent quality at a reasonable price (<&#163;1000). There is also Stewart and their ST130 is often quoted as a reference standard but it is expensive (think &#163;2500+ for a 92" fixed screen).

Hope this helps.

AVI

welshy

Thanks guys for the screen help. I did google but couldn't find anywhere to demo apart from the retailers you mentioned Avi, shame they're so far away. Might just take the chance and order one anyway without demo'ing it, anywhere do interest free credit or buy now pay later on this pj? This garage conversion and all the other equipment is costing me enough already :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom