1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to connect my dvd rewriter?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Trojan, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Trojan

Trojan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,228
    Hi
    I have just built my own hcpc which has dvd rom drive as one master and hard drive as the other master. I have now got a dvd rewriter so do I put that as a slave to the hard drive or to the dvd rom or do I have to change it all about. I would welcome any advice as to what to do so the performance of all three are not affected. Thanks for any advice offered.

2. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trojan,

Don't know what rewriter you have but I had a lot of problems with a Pioneer A04 until I checked out a few websites and changed a couple of things.

Firstly, the Pioneer was on the Primary Master on its own. I had the hard drive on Secondary Master with a Plextor CD Rewriter as Slave. I'd heard that Pioneer recommended putting the A04 on Secondary Master with DMA turned off. This cured problems I was having with corrupted lead ins and lead outs, with occasional writing problems at the outer edge of the disc. But I was getting some writing errors when I tried to write to more than one disc, only cured by a restart. When I turned DMA back on it cured the problem and actually gave me increased DVD read speeds.

So, if it's a Pioneed A04 stick it on Secondary Master with DMA left on and go from there.

I suppose now you'll be telling me you don't have a Pioneer A04 right? :suicide:

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Easy answer is keep all CD/DVD drives on different channels. So don't put both drives on Primary or Secondary together. If you put them on the same channel then you'll be unable to do on the fly disc to disc copies (if you ever do such a thing :D )

You should always have your main hd running off of the master primary channel. Put either your rom drive or the writer as the slave on this and it doesn't matter which you chose for the other one on the secondary channel.

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alanrob,

Just a thought here. If you have, say, an ATA 33 device (cd rom) on the same channel as an ATA 66 device (hdd) all devices on that channel will run at the lower ATA rated device, in other words ATA 33.

I have an ATA100 hdd on the primary channel, with my dvd rewriter (ATA 33) and cd rewriter (ATA 66) on the secondary channel with the dvd rewriter as master. At least this way both devices run at ATA 33 which is no problem for me. Hey, at least it works and I don't get coasters any more :)

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sorry to say m8, but if you have a newer upto date motherboard then you'll find that the IDE channels can handle 2 different ata speeds on the one channel.

I have just ran a test on my drives (both ata133) and they are running at full speed while having 2 dvd writers in the slave positions.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I run:-

Primary master = HDD
    Primary slave = CD/DVD Rom

Secondry master = CD/DVD writer
    Secondry slave = spare

My thoughts were that the read from the cd/dvd rom drive on the primary IDE wasn't as mission critical etc.
    Were as the read from HDD/cache to CD/DVD writer was better of on different IDE channels.

I have had zero problems this way...