Where to buy XP Pro

The version of XP being sold by E Buyer is the OEM version which is complete and full in everyway except that it will not come boxed, just the CDs and booklet in a sealed plastic wrapper, and it should really only be sold with a complete PC system.

That said if they will sell you a copy on it's own it will not cause you any trouble regarding activation/registration.

I haven't seen it any cheaper either.

Cheers, Lee

Thanks for that.
I wonder if they'll let me order it as a standalone item then as the price is very good?
Think I'll give it a go...

The place I buy my hardware bits and pieces from used to sell the OEM version without hardware .. they don't any more, probably got a rap on the knuckles from M$ ;) .. this guy is probably still able to get away with it. Just be as sure as you can it's 'kosher', because if it's dodgy the activation key may very well not work ... I'm not for one moment saying it would be dodgy, £100 is somewhat more than they cost, just noting the issue. :)

Appreciate what you're saying but as it's E Buyer, I would very much doubt they would be selling dodgy software.
They may as you suggest get told off by MS if/when they find out they are selling it for this price...

Originally posted by KraGorn
Ooops :blush: ... guess who read 'E Bay'. :suicide:

Easily done. Just don't do it again! :lesson:

:laugh:

My hazy memory says that's a good price, Brogan. Go for it, then let us know how eBuyer are :)

I have Win XP Pro upgrade for sale if you want, it's exactly the same as the full version, the only diff is you need a previous legit CD ROM of another MS OS like 98 or ME to place in the CD/DVD drive during the install, PM me if interested as it's way cheaper than the price you''re looking at.

P.S - If I broke any forum rules apologies but I loathe using the classifieds section :suicide:

Originally posted by gab2001uk
XP Pro does not need activation.
Erm, yes it does .. the only version that doesn't is the Enterprise licensed version which under normal circumstances isn't available outside corporates who purchased the correct license .. unless of course one uses 'other methods' ;).

Thanks for the offer Apocalypse but in my experience, upgrading the OS is more trouble than it's worth.
Although there's more work involved initially, it's better in the long run to do a clean install.

Besides, I've just picked up a full, brand new, sealed copy for £65...:)

For future reference, you can do a clean install of an upgrade, you just need to feed it the original installation CD when it wants to check it .. but £65 is a good price. :)

Originally posted by Brogan
Thanks for the offer Apocalypse but in my experience, upgrading the OS is more trouble than it's worth.
Although there's more work involved initially, it's better in the long run to do a clean install.

Besides, I've just picked up a full, brand new, sealed copy for £65...:)

Eh?

It's a common misconception that "Upgrade" copies can't do a clean install, as I said they are exactly the same as the "Full" versions but the very first time you use it on a clean install you'll be asked to place a previous legit CD ROM of another MS OS for verification. After that the upgrade version acts like a full version. £65 is a nice price.............but I could have beaten it :laugh:

OK, I stand corrected.
Perhaps this is all part of MS big ploy though as I, undoubtedly like many others, believed that an "upgrade" copy had to be installed over an existing OS.
Still, I'm not too upset at paying £65 and for futre reference, if you had placed an ad on the trading forum I probably would have ended up buying from you - that's where I looked first...

Originally posted by KraGorn
Erm, yes it does .. the only version that doesn't is the Enterprise licensed version which under normal circumstances isn't available outside corporates who purchased the correct license .. unless of course one uses 'other methods' ;).
it's "corporate edition" actually, but same difference lol

I've heard of quite a few reported problems with Messenger and XP pro (opening hundreds of ports), or has that just happened to an unlucky few ? Are there many benefits for the home user of using pro over the "home" version ?

Biggest difference is probably for those who wany to do a bit of asp web development, as the home version doesnt include IIS.

Its a pretty good OS to be honest (once you get rid of the ugly bevelled gui), although I still have less trouble with my Win2K installation at work than my XP pro installation at home, but thats probably cos the home pc gets abused a bit more!

If it's any help, I can confirm that Ebuyer will sell the oem edition of XP without a hardware purchase. I ordered a copy of XP Home for a friend a few weeks back, and was expecting to be prompted to purchase hardware.

There were no prompts to buy hardware, and as others have said, it was supplied as a single cd with a manual and licence number sticker, all in a plastic wrapper.

At just £65, I think it was a good deal. Even at the computer fairs I have not seen XP Home for anything less than about £80, with some copies being OEM, and some full retail.

Another source for XP is overclockers....

Tony

May we know where you managed to buy XP Pro for £65? Or is it not available to general public...? ;)

Vlad.

No big secret....I got it off Ebay.

And before you all start, I know Ebay's not the best place to buy stuff like this but the copy I bought was an OEM copy - the kind usually shipped with standard PC systems to large companies (it was stamped HP/Compaq) and it was authentic and completely unregistered.
There are a few people on there selling tens of disks so I can only assume these people work in IT and are flogging off the disks as they are not used due to the standard image most large companies install on their PC's.
I've since found out though it's not that easy to upgrade my system as I have a RAID mo-bo and I would have to flash the BIOS.
I can't risk it going wrong so I'm just going to buy a new mo-bo and CPU and install XP onto that.
I told the guy I bought the disk from my problem and he gave me a full refund with no argument...which was nice. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom