Where To Buy XA1

Angel1403

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I think I am about to give into the force :rolleyes:

However, where is the best place to buy the above & avoid extra charges?

Cheers :)

For the least hastle I recommend Movietyme as you pay UK prices with no chance of customs or extra fees. What you see (£599) is what you pay.

Hi

ValueElectronics sell both models and include a free hdmi 1mtr lead and 2 free hd-dvd's of your choice. If they ship by sea, its said that theres no import duty as its always over looked (do we pay duty on less that £300 anyway) and if we do, whats 17.5% of £250 anyway!! But it is a week or two longer. But £250 for the basic model can't be over-looked surely!! :thumbsup:

http://www.valueelectronics.com/

Rgds

CH

Regardless of where you buy however, outside the uk it seems there is no dealer backup!

QUOTE FROM MOVIETYME.COM

All units shipped have serial numbers noted in case of future issues, and come with a 30 Day Limited guarantee (Guarantee is only for players that have ORIGINAL FORMWARE that shipped from us, if you have upgraded the players firmware and issues have resulted after this then you must consult with Toshiba USA who will politely tell you to clear off) after this customers must take up issues with Toshiba USA.

IMPORTANT: The Guarantee issued DOES NOT include any damage to the player as a result of plugging this player into a voltage converter. Any damage as a result of plugging this unit into any type of transformer must be bourne by the customer, we shall be unable to take back the product for replacement, refund or repair.
By agreeing to purchase this unit off us you agree to the terms of the Guarantee as stated here.

So pause for thought!

CH

Important point I think, no back up unless you have a good dealer.

Looks interesting! do we have to call them to place order?

Cool-hand said:
Hi

ValueElectronics sell both models and include a free hdmi 1mtr lead and 2 free hd-dvd's of your choice. If they ship by sea, its said that theres no import duty as its always over looked (do we pay duty on less that £300 anyway) and if we do, whats 17.5% of £250 anyway!! But it is a week or two longer. But £250 for the basic model can't be over-looked surely!! :thumbsup:

Rgds

CH

Hi

No. It can be ordered online and they even accept paypal!? With no charge!

CH

ps. read the website page from top to bottom for the total lowdown!

You could also wait for the Euro release (november) and then also have the option of playing R2 SD-DVD's as well.
Will.

Cool-hand said:
Hi

Rgds

CH

Doesn't seem to be any overseas shipping however??????? Having said that I am in NYC in a week so may have to pay them a visit and sneak one in my suitcase for the return journey (£269 at todays exchange rate) ;)

Cool-hand said:
Hi

Rgds

CH

Duty/tax is 14% plus 17.5% vat. Still a good buy though.

Hi

Yes could be a wait but two people i know in London got theirs within 2 weeks. The difference is you could pay nearly double if you cant wait.
I know people cant:devil:

CH

It's not worth waiting, when you seen how good the picture quality is you will not have any regrets.

Only problem is that you will end up buying very disc out there.

I call the player "Louise 2"

I was very tempted by an import, but was put off by it's inability to play region 2 DVD's and a bit of a lack of HD-DVD's. Then I read the following taken from here and my mind was made up - I'll wait a while.

AVF: So, can you tell us how much they differ from the US machines?

Tosh: Well, what I can say is that our European players will be based on our second generation chassis, so they will be quite different from the players already available in the US today. I can’t give too much detail but, a few of the drawbacks which were reported to us by users in the USA with our two players there will be solved and therefore additional features not available there will be added to the European players.

Will the UK players be able to play US HD DVD's?

midknight said:
Will the UK players be able to play US HD DVD's?

Yes, the HD-DVD's are region free.SD-DVD's on the other hand are still by region.
Will.

HD DVD's are region free at the moment. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that whether or not they will stay that way has yet to be decided.

Steve Zodiac said:
HD DVD's are region free at the moment. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that whether or not they will stay that way has yet to be decided.

True but there are no guarantees that it will indeed play back 60hz material?

Hi

Im confident that they wont impliment Region coding this year maybe even not into the first half of next year or later. These companies want the system/format to sell and get as great a coverage as posible.

The UK/Euro spec is said to play 1080p, ok very nice but few people now have a display that can accept this. Maybe in a year or two when prices fall.

It will not play PAL hd-dvd. Ok not great but then how many pal hd-dvds are there at the mo? Which retailers are selling them? So most will still import I'd hazard to guess. And later should someone buy a R2 UK model, great the discs will still play as the new model will be NTSC compatible.

It will have full TrueHD Dolby! Well do we need a new amp to output it or will the player do the maths and pass it out to our exsisting system? If not, ive got a system im fairly happy with now, i'll upgrade next year. So not a great issue. The picture is what its about for me right now and many others I'd guess.

For just a couple of hundred quid you can start enjoying hd dvd now and next year have a better selection of 3rd/4th Gen hd-dvd players....
We are only talking about a good night out, not a big loss really imho!
Buy the HD A1, its the same less the back lit remote and motorized flipfront and half the price but delivers all the goods.:lesson:

CH

There is no such thing as PAL HD DVD, PAL is not a term you can use with HD. Region coding is not present but that is not the issue, 50 or 60Hz playback is. All current HD DVD are '60Hz friendly', we also know Canal are mastering at 24p in europe (which means 60hz friendly) so the UK player may do both 50 and 60Hz, until we get discs we will not know what US or UK player are capable with each others discs.

At the moment we have no idea what the capabilities of a UK HD DVD are, personaly I don't think we will see a second generation, more an 1.5...and what features are implemented are still unknown.

and the HD A1 remote is **** ;) but the player is fun.

Cool-hand said:
Regardless of where you buy however, outside the uk it seems there is no dealer backup!

QUOTE FROM MOVIETYME.COM

All units shipped have serial numbers noted in case of future issues, and come with a 30 Day Limited guarantee (Guarantee is only for players that have ORIGINAL FORMWARE that shipped from us, if you have upgraded the players firmware and issues have resulted after this then you must consult with Toshiba USA who will politely tell you to clear off) after this customers must take up issues with Toshiba USA.

IMPORTANT: The Guarantee issued DOES NOT include any damage to the player as a result of plugging this player into a voltage converter. Any damage as a result of plugging this unit into any type of transformer must be bourne by the customer, we shall be unable to take back the product for replacement, refund or repair.
By agreeing to purchase this unit off us you agree to the terms of the Guarantee as stated here.

So pause for thought!

CH
What about the Sales of Good Act? Are we covered by that?

Nic Rhodes said:
There is no such thing as PAL HD DVD, PAL is not a term you can use with HD. Region coding is not present but that is not the issue, 50 or 60Hz playback is. All current HD DVD are '60Hz friendly', we also know Canal are mastering at 24p in europe (which means 60hz friendly) so the UK player may do both 50 and 60Hz, until we get discs we will not know what US or UK player are capable with each others discs.

At the moment we have no idea what the capabilities of a UK HD DVD are, personaly I don't think we will see a second generation, more an 1.5...and what features are implemented are still unknown.

:blush: Thank you Nic for that tip. Do you think the difference in picture performance will be vastly noticeable or marginal? Is this issue about the implementation of video and film??

Rgds

CH

Nic Rhodes said:

It's great how people's opinions are so different - I happen to agree with Nic - but my better half pipes up yesterday "That new remote is the best one you've got" - and I have a LOT of remotes (including Harmony 895, Pronto Pro, iPronto etc. etc.).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom