1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy & What to buy !!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sTTu, Feb 10, 2003.

1. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Please, please help me ! My head is going to explode ! :suicide:

I've spent the last week looking online, in mags, in shops and I still don't know what to do !!!

All I want is a 36" Widescreen, buy at a good price, but I can't face all the aggro afterwards if I need some service. What happened to just buying a TV that worked. All I seem to have come across is forum members with problem TV's.

I have a budget of around £1800, really fancy the Panasonic TX36PB50 - now what ?

Should I just pay the full wack from a dealer and at least if its buzzing, skew picture, etc they will come round and fix me, these big TV are too big to send back.

I like Empires web site but are they any good ?

I can't face it any more, I think I'll start reading books ! :D

Any advice appreciated.

sTTu

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Personally, I would locate your local Panasonic dealer and go there.
    Try and haggle over the price if you can.

Sometimes, paying an extra few quid for peace of mind is no bad thing.

Captain Benefit.

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where to buy from is pretty easy to answer; John Lewis (they'll take phone orders) as they price match and give you a free 5 yr warranty with all TVs. Delivery is within approx. 40-50 mile radius so hopefully there should be one close enough. :)

What to buy is where my bias comes in... :laugh: I would highly recommend a Philips 36PW9607. I have the 32" version (9617) and I really do feel that it still beats any other CRT on sale in the UK today.

A the end of the day only you can choose the TV you want to buy. When comparing, take along a favourite DVD (ensuring the DVD player is connected via RGB).

DO play around with the TV settings.

DON'T go by the picture being fed to all the TVs at once- it's of very, very poor quality.

Good luck :smashin:

4. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would recommend that you find a place to buy your TV which is fairly local to you.

Without going into too much detail, I brought my TV from Sound&Vision, in Bolton. There were a few faults, which are being fixed (only after alot of ******ing about). The main problem is that I cant go to the Sound&Vision to keep up a storm as I live Kent - I have to do it over the phone.

Good luck.

regards

mmm

6. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my 21" flat screen panny from Empire direct.Can't complain about the service.delieved in 3 days.Scratched the tv when i took it out.Told empire it was scratch on arrival,no problem,new one sent out within 2 days.Good price too,saved £50 against currys price.

7. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Will do ! Have gone against the idea of mail order to much hassle even with the big savings.

I think I'm going to go for a Panasonic TX36PL30 looks great and I've read, on the whole, good things about the Panasonic.

Next problem is choosing a speaker package :zonked:

sTTu