Where to buy US Pioneer DV-656A

talizker

I am a looking for a DVD player that support NTSC Progressive Scan and I am a fan of Pioneer players. The 747, while very desirable is fairly pricey!!!

While looking on pioneer.com I noticed that the US DV-656A has Progressive Scan and only seems to omit the RGB SCART - and at an RRP of only $329 (and seen for $250ish)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/HomeProducts/HomeProductDetails/0,1422,71365,00.html

At this price it would be cheaper to keep my existing Multi Region machine and pick up a Region 1 656 than go for a 747 (I have a suitable transformer)

I would rather buy from the UK as I am not a fan of unpredictable import tax/duty! Is there anywhere here that sells Region 1 US machines now???

Thanks!

Reiner

I was just about to recommend the European version but seems it doesn't offer progressive scan:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/pioneerdv656a.shtml

That said I believe there are a couple of alternatives; if you buy a US player note the following:

- No Scart or RGB
- Most likely no PAL / no multiregion
- Step-Down transformer required (230V > 110V)
- Warranty issues
- Display must support native NTSC

talizker

Hi Reiner

Agreed with all your comments but apart from the Warranty issue all is fine. Don't need RGB, want Component/Prog Scan. Already have Multi Region Pioneer, have transformer and TV loves pure NTSC;)

The reason this seemed like it could be a good idea is that I can get a second player that supports Prog Scan (only interested in NTSC Region 1 DVD's) cheaper than if I wanted to sell my current player and get something like a Pioneer 747...

I have just been reading some posts on the Harman Kardon DV25 which sounds interesting for £350...

Thanks!

mjn

Distinguished Member
i thought the uk version of the 656 offered progressive scan?!??!

Ged

I bought a Toshiba SD4700 US player through Amazon Z Shops, does prog scan, $278 shipped but approx £60 to the Tax Man.
This was way before the 510 was available which does the same when chipped and would be easier to return if needed.
I am very pleased with the 4700 and it sits beside a R2 SonyNS900V.
Ged

Reiner

i thought the uk version of the 656 offered progressive scan?!??!

The unit tested under the link I posted is IMHO equal to the UK version and it does not support PS. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom