1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy toshiba rdxs34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluedoo, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bluedoo

bluedoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    as the title says where is the best place to buy tosh xs34
    price has to be good but a good retailer more important
    i would like a multi region but it is not essential as i have a multi region player
    would like your thoughts/experiences with online shops

many thanks

2. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bluedoo,

In the past I have used tvandvideo direct, and I simple cannot fault their service, it was great. They don't have the multiregion version though. I actually went with rgb direct, and so far they seem ok. Been good comments on these forums. I ordered last night and have a confirmation email that it will be despatched within 3-5 days.

The rgb direct one is also multi region. http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103244&ReferrerCode=4 (and at 315 is slightly cheaper than tvandvideodirect)

Cheers

Chris

3. Albo1960

Albo1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered mine five minutes ago from PRC Direct http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/ - paid £313.88 and this includes 3 DVD RAM disks. Spoke to a guy called Allan who was very helpful. Delivery is free in 7 working days but I purchased an extended warranty (I'm an anxious sort) for a reduced price of £67 for 3 years and this included next day delivery and collection and replacement if there are any problems. This is important because any Toshibas that are multi region are tweaked by the supplier and they have to honour the warranty not Toshiba so you would have to get it back to the supplier at your expense (in effort if not in cost).

4. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine from Leading Edge Concepts yesterday - multi region with 25 free dvd-rs for £329.99. I ordered it from LE because they were one of the few UK stores that would ship to Ireland but am quite happy with the price and service so far.

Can't wait! :clap:

5. Albo1960

Albo1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to this DVD recording malarkey:

what blank DVDs should I buy?
    which types? (ie -R, RW, RAM etc etc)
    which brands? - I read (on these pages) that some are less successful than others
    where is the best place to get them?
    what is a good price to pay?

thanks

Albo

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Lots of questions here...

Use -R for things you want to keep long term. Write once, will play most anywhere.

Use -RW for things you want to keep for a while then erase/reuse; these can also be played on most players (though not quite as compatible as -R)

Use RAM for high quality backups, or as an alternative to -RW if you have other RAM compatible players.

For brands, it isn't the brand it is the manufacturer which is important... a good place to learn about media is here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Also see threads on XS32 media; as the XS34 is based on it discs which the 32 likes probably are a good choice for the 34... I've had good luck with TDK Scratchless -RW, and Verbatim pastel coloured -R (TY02 code dye).

For suppliers, if in the UK consider
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/index.mhtml

Mark

7. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a -r low speed sample pack from SVP and everyone of them burned without a hitch on my XS34. Might be worth getting a pack yourself just to make sure that your machine likes them.

8. bluedoo

bluedoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    thanks for the replies
    have ordered a multi region from rgbdirect :thumbsup:

9. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So

Is the XS34 the same as the XS32 with extra disk space or does it do anything else differently?

And why do you guys get MR recorders, what is the point of that unless you have no space for a dedicated player/ I always read here that it is better to have a dedicated player to prolong the life of the recorder. Am I missing anything re the MR feature? It does void the manufacturer warranty does it not?

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is basically the same with the larger disk. There are some other small differences (one thing I read was more automatic setup of satellite/cable channels).

I went for MR just as I hate to be limited to region 2, and I thought I might want to use it as my player. I also have another MR player, so I've yet to actually need the MR. I don't think it voids the warranty.

Mark

11. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bluedo,

Cool! Just to say mine arrived yesterday and alls good! Its a beastie to set up though! I had to look at the manual! (I'm hoping thats because its really complicated, as opposed to me now getting old and losing the ability to work tech stuff!)

Chris

12. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XS34 is cosmetically different in that it is now a slimline unit like the Pioneer and Panasonic machines. There is the bigger HD and from my experience of no coasters thus far, it doesn't seem fussy about media. It works perfectly with changing and recording Sky but I don't know if this was an issue with the XS32.

There are numerous posts here and elsewhere stating that where MR units were returned to Toshiba for service they returned as MR. If there was ever any issue with Toshiba, the statutory warranty with your retailer stands. I think that your right in that the it is to save space and reduce clutter as I feel that a DVD recorder, player and CD player would be OTT in my room. As regards prolonging life, fair point but these things are now so cheap that I'd be surprised if we weren't all back in a year or two looking to upgrade to next generation machines.

Rasper, I found that the machine itself was straighforward to get up and running. The manual is a mother because of the ability to tweak every aspect of the machine's performance, but it is well worth the read if a bit bonkers in places. Good luck.

13. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine arrived yesterday afternoon too I spent the evening setting it up. I agree with you about the set up - tuning the analogue channels in was a pain (I'm in Ireland so the're on both UHF and VHF).

Apart from that I'm very happy, as a test I recorded ER through NTL Digital last night and it played back as broadcast quality :)

I edited out the ads and did a test transfer to DVD this morning. LE shipped 25 Datasafe 8x -rs free with the unit and after reading the problems the previous model had with media I was worried. The disc burned and finalised fine though and played back on my stand alone Pioneer without any problems.

Now I'll have to spend the week trying to go through that bible sized manual :)

14. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What OS and Firmware versions are there on the 34.

(from Setup menu, last screen?)

15. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will check when I get home this evening....

16. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought my Tosh XS34 from PRC yesterday for £314 including 3 RAM discs.

Not had much of a play yet but it seems better made (sturdier than the Pany?) than I expected and I think they've improved the looks compared to the XS32.

Fan noise is not too bad at all and it also plays my +R discs (burnt frommy Dell) which is a bonus. Quality of recordings onto HDD are fantastic.

So so far I'm very pleased - and no more VHS!

17. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just been looking around for a recorder for my uncle and the XS34 is at the top of the list. Cheapest so far is from http://www.unbeatable.co.uk at £297.99 plus £7.99 delivery but they are awaiting stock.

18. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PRC / RGB price is the same - £314 - for the multi-region model. I know PRC charge about £300 for the non MR version.

19. bluedoo

bluedoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    got mine today from rgbdirect :thumbsup:

software version ZW10

dvd drive software MT19