Where to buy Retro Consoles?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by craigie998, Feb 1, 2009.

1. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello.

I am sorry if this question has already been asked.

I am going through a BIG retro phase at the minute and want all my old consoles back. ( can't believe I sold them in the first place)

The one I want at the moment is a PSONE (the nice, small ones) with one of them awesome LCD screen attachments, but It has to a NTSC console, I have so many US games and I have never gotten to actually play them, as I always had a UK based playstation (please don't suggest, modding a UK playstaion, I want everything original)

Amazon.com have some in NEW condition, but 'apparently' they don't ship to UK -_-, eBay seem to have a few, new aswell, but unfortunately they aint prepared to ship to UK (which to be honest, I can't blame them)

I used to have some really good video game sites bookmarked that did ship internationally, but they appear to have vanished, I want sites like playasia, which are definately geniune.

I found this site Toys N Joys Online - Your #1 Source for Video Games, Anime, and Hobbies!, and it seems to have everything I want, but the dodgy pictures and the information just don't seem right, could somebody here have a look for me.

Sorry I have babbled on, Basically I want to buy a NTSC PSONE with LCD screen from a site with a good reputation.

Any help welcome.

Thanks.
    Craig.

^_^

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I would get the lcd screen over here. I'm pretty sure they are dual standard. Might be worth checking. Rather than get one shipped all the way from canada or the usa. I would keep an eye on ebay usa or canada for a ps one which the seller will ship internationally. Of course a modded console will do what you ask but as you say you want an original usa model. However there are usa versions that have been imported into the uk previously that may be available on ebay uk but I suspect they would more likely be original playstations rather than the mini ps one type.

3. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
  4. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank yooooouuuuuu soooo much ^_^.

GenkiVideoGames, is just the sort of site I was looking for and they have a jap console, in stock, woooop. Is this site UK based or something as when I clicked shipping details, they seem to be all UK ^_^?

So is Genki a reliable site? Have you used it before, would the consoles be in reasonable condition, if they are second hand?

I am major confused about the LCD screens compatibility ( I actually, questioned a japanese eBayer about this, but he didn't know) for example if I had a japanese console I would need a japanese LCD screen for it to function, in your first post you state ''I would get the lcd screen over here'' but then in your second post, you state ''attach a NTSC LCD screen, it wont work anyway - you will get a black and white signal at best'' Sorry if its just me being stupid.

Thanks again, you are a lifesaver, I didn't know where I would buy a jap psone console from, as playasia is sold out, and eBay is double the price and I don't think they ship to UK.

Craig.

5. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I'd be apprehensive about buying a second hand psone unless i could get hold of it really cheaply, be prepared to buy a new laser assembly as you won't have much idea of how much hammer the thing has had, i remember having to replace mine twice on the same machine whilst i had it, but i did play a host of rpg's :rotfl:.

Do you have a cash converters or similar nearby? i remember mine used to sell ntsc machines too, failing that the local charity shops may just have one lying around and probably at silly money too, not much chance of the lcd screen attachment from there though, but you could always pick one up separately.

6. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I completely forgetten about the laser issues, I think I went through about 3 playstations in the past, but obviously a few years ago they were really easy to come across and every friend or relative had a spare that you could steal off, but saying this I have never owned a psone (the smaller consoles), perhaps their laser lasts longer.

To be honest I think owning a NTSC J console would be more of a collection thing rather than actually heavy playing on it, as I only own a few jap games and I CAN NOT understand any part of japanese what so ever, so I'll only be playing jap fighting games or games that I can play without having to understand the language.

I do have a cash converters near where I live, but I don't think they would have a boxed console, but it would be preety cool if I could get a NTSC console cheap from their, am in town tomorrow so I shall pop in.

As for the laser thing, is it diffcult to replace and would I need to do things differently for a US machine and a JAP machine.

Thanks a lot.
    Craig.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I must admit I don't know this for sure but I would be very surprised if a psone 15lcd screen bought from the uk didn't work on a us or jap console firstly it works with a RGB signal so there are no black and white issues to worry about. The only issue is the 50/60hz refresh rate. As I'm sure you are aware the modding and piracy scene for the playstation was huge and a high percentage of psones would have been modded. Simple mod I think from memory as I modded a psone for a work collegue and it was only 3 wires I think. Anyway once modded they would of used copied jap and usa games which would output at 60hz rather than pal 50hz. Basically there would of been a lot of unhappy gamers whose lcd screens weren't working for their games. Meaning a large amount of lcd screens being returned as unusable.

Also I suggested a uk lcd screen just incase the screen came with a higher output psu as once connected the power drain on the transformer would increase with both a psone and lcd screen connected so thought you might get a slightly more powerful psu with it. I'm only guessing though as I don't know what it came with and its quite possible the psone allowed for the greater power drain with its bundled psu. Also worth pointing out the psone psu with an imported console may not be the autoswitching type and may need a stepdown converter.

Personally for whats its worth I think the psone is a great choice for playstation gaming as it was the last of the playstations with all the updates regarding improved cd reading etc but you could get a modded psone for minimal money and to run imported games you would just have to use a boot disc first. If I remember rightly when I modded a psone the mod only allowed the use of copied discs. Then he would use a copied bootdisc to run an original or copied imported game. Uk copies worked straight away. However its quite possible improved mods came out later.

Anyway best of luck getting what your after.

8. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the quick reply ^_^

One last question, where would be the best place to get a stepdown converter and is their a specific version/model to get.

When I eventually do get a psone, before purchasing a LCD screen I will inform the seller that I do have a NTSC based system so if it doesn't work I want a full refund :)

Craig.

9. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    i will tell you for a fact that a different region LCD wont work

i've got a Jpn screen with console and a pal set and the reason i tried it as somebody mentioned too me it wouldnt work

the black and white signal is an rgb problem, the same way older tv's cant handle import consoles. So i tried the following:

Ntsc screen on a pal console - horrible image
    Pal screen on a NTSC console = horrible image

but i havent tried a modded console as if it boots in 60hz as they generally do - the image should be fine for whatever region

Peter @ Genki is fantastic, everything i've bought from him has been in great condition and arrives very quickly and out of all the importers in the UK, he is by far the cheapest

Japanese RPG's are really out of the question - but everything else is pretty playable, i even managed to finish Resi evil when it first came out

as for a step down transformer, you dont really need a heavy duty one - so it should be pretty cheap

shame i wont be home for a while as i've got a spare PSone and screen Jpn, unsure why i ended up with 5 consoles and 3 screens :)

10. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Buster, you rock dude! Just the information that I needed ^_^.

I think I can pick up a jap screen from eBay newhoo, so that is the jap console sorted, yay!

Moeroshop http://moeroshop.net/ sells UK psone's and the LCD boxed with it in new condition, so thats the UK console sorted. On a side note has anybody ever, purchased anything from Moero, Its a French site, It has some preety amazing stuff, but I find the site a little unusual and some of the Postage costs are shocking! :eek:

Its just the US console I need to find, hopefully some nice seller will be willing to ship to UK.

I don't mind playing Jap RPG games that I have played to death in their english versions, like ff7-ff8 or Lunar or Parasite Eve as I already know the dialogue off by heart anywhoo, I love the japanese box art, it is awesome! ^_^ (random off topicness, I know)

I have emailed Peter twice at Genki already, can't believe how helpfull he was, and he replied so quick, wish more import sites had people like this.

A Question for you, Buster, have you ever used the 'BACKORDER' Feature, I noticed the Site has Pokemon Trading Card GB 2, which I have wanted for sooooo long, when you request a game, what do they actually do, do they try and find it for you, or do they just basically email you, if they ever get it ordered.

Any site recomendations for a Step down transformer, I have found one on Amazon for £19.99, which is a bit pricey.

It is a mega shame, you are not at home, as I definately would have bought your psone off you, if it was in a good boxed condition :(

Anyway I have written an essay here, so i betta hush up for a little. ^_^.

Thanks Once again.
    Craig.

11. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310

I've bought stuff from Moeroshop and he is pretty decent

Peter is the business and tell him 'Jason Brown' sent you his way

The backorder is really just to point out whats out of stock and may arrive soon, he does have a specific URL for 'wish lists', give him a shout and i'm sure he will help you, he managed to get me a couple of cheeky items over the last year or so

VGI has a 100w stepdown for £15 which is more than adequate, just stick transformer in the search bar

search on ebay

and all my PSones and PS1's are fully boxed :)

12. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You are legend dude, Thanks so much! ^_^ Wish more forums were as helpful as this one, all other forums I have been on, people are so stuck up and don't bother to respond to your questions if you only have like 10 posts.

Will prob by off eBay, as it is my second home lol.

Well if you wake up one morning and you find yourself at home, send the psone my way ^_^. Newhoo I know what my luck is like, and by time I get paid, a bet the psone is out of stock or something like that, or I will end up buying it and a week later Ill check on eBay and there'll be the same console with an LCD cheaper, that always seems to happen to me, I'll buy something ASAP as I will think it is so rare and I will never see it again, then BOOM thousands of em are on eBay for half the price lol

Oh before I forget to ask, what is the quality like, playing psone games through the LCD screens, as I will more than likely be only playing the games through the screen as I only have a HDTV (where did all my SDTV's go lol) and also I don't understand the power supply with the screens, as some of them I have seen on the internet state, only coming with a car charger, so would I need to go and buy some form of a battery pack, or some sort of an adapter so I can play it straight from the mains, sorry but I am mega confused.

Thanks.
    Craig.

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    the black and white signal isn't an RGB problem. The very fact the signal is RGB means it can't just lose the colour. Losing colour is when the luminance signal works but the chroma signal can't be processed which can only happen on composite, s-video and component. RGB by its very name bypasses the chroma stage. However that said a small percentage of tvs did RGB to s-video to RGB again. It gave poor results and could lose the chroma signal while in the s-video stage. It was a very poor way of providing RGB compatibility but these sets are rare.

Anyway from what you've said these LCD screens are only using composite or s-video which is a bit disappointing, I'm sure there are third party LCD screens that are using RGB.

Some interesting info here;

Retroleum - PSone LCD screen connections, wiring, pin-outs and that

and gamecube using one here;

YouTube - GameCube Mario Kart Double Dash on Sony PSOne LCD Screen

14. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    i've never really used the small screen, so i cant comment on that

but it looks fine on my regza

i've got it going thru scart, via a scart splitter using RGB and it looks fine

15. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Okies, am sure I will experiment, lots anyway ^_^.

I was searching for Game Boy Micro face filters the other day and came across, two more sites that sell retro consoles. Please if anybody has had any experience with them, let me know ^_^

Cheapest Xbox 360 Games PS2 Accessories PS2 Games XBox Accessories - UK - PSP And NDS and Consoles And Gadgets Console repairs and accessories

Thanks.
    Craig.

16. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Actually am gonna choose not to buy anything from ''consolesandgadgets.com'' there has been two items I have contacted them about, both of which, they have replied saying they are out of stock, yet their web site says they are in stock, how hard is it for a site to say 'out of stock' when they have none of that specific item left, it annoys me so much when sites like this are that lazy...

Anyway, ''darkplanets.co.uk'', still stands, anybody ever bought anything from there.

Thanks.
    Craig.

17. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry for triple posting but needed to ask for peoples opinions.

I found a 'Factory Sealed' NTSC Psone on eBay.com (Item Number 250367188889 check it out) for $125.00 + $30.00 This is the only one on eBay.com I have ever seen that is willing to ship to the UK, or tbh anywhere on the web that I have seen willing to ship, to Europe even.

An American PSone is the system that I wanted the most, and was the one that was the hardest to locate, but I don't know whether to buy it or not, what do you people think, do you think I would find a better deal somewhere else if I waited.

The main reason this one has got my interest is the fact that it is Factory Sealed, which means no strain on the laser, so no worries bout it messing me around ^_^.

Any help welcome.

Thanks.
    Craig.:)

18. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    to be honest pal, its what you want and if you have the disposable income to get it - i would do it

i once saw a factory sealed Jpn model with screen go for well over £100

do it pal - then post photos

19. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    oooooo I think I have found an even better deal on eBay $144 for brand new psone + LCD Combo, check it out ''360124591744'', yeah the box is a bit crushed at the bottom, but that is only something minor, and the console isn't actually pink, its just the bad quality of the photo (somebody already asked that question lol

Thanks.
    Craig.

20. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    woop I bought the new psone console with the lcd included this morning and got my 10% discount (thank you eBay) ^_^

Now I need to concentrate on getting a transformer does anybody here know what wattage the psone console draws as I don't want to burn out the transformer,

Thanks.
    Craig.

21. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    you will need 2 unless the special combos come 'specialist' </might be wrong>

but a normal 45w transformer is what i use

22. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Why two?

I thought the LCD ran from the psone's power supply, hmmm confused much...

23. buster_broon

buster_broon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    yeah your right

it comes boxed with an ac adapter

like this

just confusing myself

24. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hehe.

So 45w should deffinately be okay, right, I know the ps2 only uses around 50w so the psone should be much less anyway.

Thanks.
    Craig.

25. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    retro consoles are getting harder to find..been trying to get a megacd for ages,bought 1,doesnt work,bought another..same thing.
    got shafted on ebay with one that never came,and only got a partial refund, also got shafted earlier on ebay,by some fixed bidding - got a message, after asking a question about it working/non working, that the buyer wanted as much as he could get, and the star bidder, was the guys friend,so not to bother with my bids..well annoyed!:mad:

26. craigie998

craigie998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know what you mean, retro consoles that are in good condition are really hard to find, especially ones that are in the original box.

There is a lot of people out there on eBay that are only interested in the profit and don't give a stuff about the buyer, that is why I will spend about 15 minutes looking at every sellers feedback (sad I know) and I very rarely buy from sellers that have below 99% Feedback, of course I don't mind if they have recieved negative feedback from stupid buyers that leave feedback like '' Said would Recieve item in 1-3 Days, got on 5th day'' You would be suprised how often I see this, it must annoy the hell out of the sellers, especially when there main source of income is from eBay and negative feedback could ruin them.

Luckily just lately I have encountered some really friendly international sellers, who will go out of their way to help you out, one seller from amazon (as .com wouldn't ship that item to UK) listed her item on eBay just for me another seller on eBay that I bought my new psone console off was actually talking to me like a normal person rather than just a 'seller' asking me how I was and what the weather was like he also threw in 6 free games.:clap:

eBay is kind of like a double sided blade, you can't always get exactly what you want, there is some complete a**holes out there, fortunately (for me anyway) eBay favors buyers rather than sellers and if anything goes wrong will be willing to help out more, if you are a buyer (well thats my experience of it anyway)

Fortunately I have not had any bad experiences with eBay (yet), I think this is because I am always overly paranoid and message the seller over and over again so I can make sure I know what I am getting, and if that seller has bad communication I wont be buying from em, as at the end of the day I think that is the main thing that makes a bad seller.

I am sorry for what happend to you, I wish I could suggest some other good sites, but I don't know of any, that are up to the standards of eBay's huge list of items, I would have said amazon in the past, but the sellers on their have screwed me over so many times ( I know it is not amazons fault) with sellers sending me the wrong item and then taking aaaages to get a refund.

I will shut up now, as I seem to be going on and on, I could babble on for ever about eBay and Amazon lol.

Craig.