Where to buy Panny HS2?

richkeys

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

can anyone suggest where i'll find the cheapest new Panny HS2 on the net? £520 seems to the best price so far!

Thanks,

Richkeys:hiya:

I have a 5 month old machine(with all relevant guarantee paperwork).Its MR and yours for £425 inc delivery

Phelings

I can offer you 400 inc delivery for this unit. (Should we move this to the classifieds ?)

Cheers

Mark

Originally posted by andrewl
Just got one from www.digital-point.co.uk.

Multi region, free delivery £499. Ordered last Thursday, delivered Friday morning.

I hadn't heard of digital point before; what are people's experiences with them?

Can I ask a daft question: when the hs2 is described as multiregion, does this mean that it will play R1, R2, etc discs or does it mean that it will *record* an R1, R2, etc source?

I want to use it to record broadcast material, but I just wondered whether it can backup dvds or whether copy protection stops that. Is it worth paying for a multiregion machine? How is it made multiregion; is it chipped? Does this affect the machine adversely in any way? Thanks.

Does the HS2 accept the Ram Caddy ?

Tempted at upgrading at this price, but do Panasonic have an imminent replacement for this ?

Originally posted by phelings
All dvd recorders produce discs that have no region code

Sorry. What I meant was if you have a dvd player and you connect that to the hs2, can the hs2 back-up all regions of disc? I was thinking of macrovision! Now that I think about it I realise that macrovision is for vcrs not dvds. I guess the HS2 will record any RGB input. However, are there 50Hz versus 60Hz issues in recording foreign material? Thanks.

Sorry. What I meant was if you have a dvd player and you connect that to the hs2, can the hs2 back-up all regions of disc? I was thinking of macrovision! Now that I think about it I realise that macrovision is for vcrs not dvds. I guess the HS2 will record any RGB input.
The HS2 nor any main-stream DVD recorder will do this! The only commercial DVDs you could do this with is the handful of discs that are non-protected such as some Superbit titles. The only effective way to copy commercial DVDs is to use a PC.

Originally posted by Rasczak
The HS2 nor any main-stream DVD recorder will do this! The only commercial DVDs you could do this with is the handful of discs that are non-protected such as some Superbit titles. The only effective way to copy commercial DVDs is to use a PC.

Thanks I did not know that. Sorry to keep asking stupid questions, but what about people using dvdr to backup their vhs collection. Do dvd recorders ignore macrovision from vcr inputs?

what about people using dvdr to backup their vhs collection
Personally I've never had any trouble archiving my VHS videos to the Panasonic HS2 - and I have archived quite alot of VHS stuff (programming that is not available on DVD).

IMHO though it's worth investing in a 'Copymate' or similar device as this will ensure a stable picture with decent colour is copied and also removes any protection on the tape.

My advice would be to get your DVD recorder of choice, try archiving a few videos, see if the quality is sufficient and, if not, buy a Copymate.

There was an article in The Register some weeks ago reporting that Maplin had agreed to destroy all their stock of Copymates because they infringed the EU copyright law that came into force last October.
Very strange since these devices were in existence professionally long before Macrovision hijacked the system in order to introduce Macrovision copy protection.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom