Where to buy multisystem tv?

aud1oKat

Standard Member
I have been searching threads to find out if there is any shop or website selling any multisystem tv and can't never find that info...:confused:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Depends which "systems" you want it to support .

Examples : PAL/NTSC/SECAM (and their various subvariants).
25/30 and 50/60 Hz.
ATSC and DVB-T tuners ; also variants like support for MPEG2 high definition as used in Australia vs MPEG4 over DVB-T as used or planned in some European countries (like France) vs DVB-T2 as recently initiated in UK.
Also, 110/120 vs 220/230 volts AC line voltage - many are something like 90-260 volts, 50-60 Hz which is fine worldwide.

Define your requirements then look at the individual specifications to see whether the right items appear.

aud1oKat

Standard Member
Depends which "systems" you want it to support .

Examples : PAL/NTSC/SECAM (and their various subvariants).
25/30 and 50/60 Hz.
ATSC and DVB-T tuners ; also variants like support for MPEG2 high definition as used in Australia vs MPEG4 over DVB-T as used or planned in some European countries (like France) vs DVB-T2 as recently initiated in UK.
Also, 110/120 vs 220/230 volts AC line voltage - many are something like 90-260 volts, 50-60 Hz which is fine worldwide.

Define your requirements then look at the individual specifications to see whether the right items appear.

I am interested and have looked for a set that I can use in Latin America, which use NTSC system, but that could be able to play PAL content from other sources like DVD; but the set needs to have a tuner capable for NTSC channels.
As I said, I haven't found a single place in the UK for this.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
In the old days before the advent of digital TV I was aware of a few products with NTSC as well as PAL (analogue) tuners.
I doubt whether you'll find one these days.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Please be aware that not all South American countries use NTSC. Brazil use PAL M which is 525 line 60Hz TV but with PAL colour encoding on a subcarrier frequency similar to that used in NTSC. Argentina, Paraguay and Uraguay use PAL N which is 625 line 50Hz but again with a different colour subcarrier to 4.43MHz used in the more common PAL B/G or I.

What is happening in Central and South America in respect of DTV I havn't a clue.

Last edited:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Good point about Brazil; it took some time before digital video encoders (ICs with the appropriate video DACs and timing circuits in them) supported PAL M.
(I got involved in that a few years back when the IC firm I work for had to be persuaded to add this support for a UK STB manufacturer exporting to Brazil).
I wasn't aware about the Uruguay variant.

aud1oKat

Standard Member
Yes, I know those countries mentioned above are not NTSC, I want to take it to my family back there, and this country was the second one to have tv (and NTSC, of course) after the U.S. in that hemisphere.

But not a single place here seems to sell those sets...

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Yes, I know those countries mentioned above are not NTSC, I want to take it to my family back there, and this country was the second one to have tv (and NTSC, of course) after the U.S. in that hemisphere.

But not a single place here seems to sell those sets...
Which country is this? AFAIK Canada was the second country to have TV and thus also NTSC in the Americas after the US implementation but is hardly Latin America?

Last edited:

aud1oKat

Standard Member
Which country is this? AFAIK Canada was the second country to have TV and thus also NTSC in the Americas after the US implementation but is hardly Latin America?
Yes, but in Latin America it was Cuba the first one in 1950 and then Mexico followed...

So, does anyone know where to get one here to take overseas?:lease:

vickster

Distinguished Member
No and not sure why anyone would sell one in the UK :confused: Why not just buy the TV when you get where you are going?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Yes, but in Latin America it was Cuba the first one in 1950 and then Mexico followed...
and this country was the second one to have tv (and NTSC, of course) after the U.S. in that hemisphere.
Please be accurate in this case you indicate "Western" hemisphere. Latin America is not a hemisphere! Why did you not say Central America or Carribean or if it was a specific country - name it!?? :lease:If you could have been more specific in your first post I could have saved the wear and tear on my fingers and keyboard!:eek:

Goodbye

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom