Where to buy mini DV camcorders

Ruth

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I have been driving myself mad trying to find a shop online that sells mini dv camcorders for around the £150 - £250 price range. I wanted to buy the Canon MD235 as I have tried it at college and is good quality and can plug a mic into it. I am struggling as the only shops that sell it all say it is out of stock.

Does any one know of a more recent model of mini DV camcorder for around the same price? :lease:

chrishull3

Hi everyone,

I have been driving myself mad trying to find a shop online that sells mini dv camcorders for around the £150 - £250 price range. I wanted to buy the Canon MD235 as I have tried it at college and is good quality and can plug a mic into it. I am struggling as the only shops that sell it all say it is out of stock.

Does any one know of a more recent model of mini DV camcorder for around the same price? :lease:

Jvc Gr DX107 Mini Dv Camcorder - Reviews, Prices and Discount Codes
there are not many about now, jvc above but i dont think its a cuurent model and still on sale
,google mini dv cam prices there could be a few more about as well if you are lucky.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...+cams+for+sale+uk&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Last edited:

Ruth

Standard Member
Thanks very much for replying Chris. It's ridiculous how all the high street type shops are all stopping selling dv camcorders. We bought a JVC Everio camcorder with a hard drive a few months ago and the quality is terrible.

chrishull3

Thanks very much for replying Chris. It's ridiculous how all the high street type shops are all stopping selling dv camcorders. We bought a JVC Everio camcorder with a hard drive a few months ago and the quality is terrible.
Yes Ruth tape is virtualy gone, i still use a canon HV30 HDV cam as i still prefer tape and i prefer editing tape,you could also keep an eye on the AVforums sales
section, tape cams often come on the market but knowing their condition is the problem i know.good luck

rickyt

Ruth ,I dont know if you had considered buying a second hand camcorder ,especially after chrishull3's remark which is very true by the way "tape cams often come on the market but knowing their condition is the problem i know" but I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder DCR-HC27E which has been used for 6mins . It was bought for an elderly relative as a present but never used . The unit is in perfect ,unused condition ,boxed as it was when first bought .It is MiniDV ,touch screen and a very small camera . In size it's very similar to my Panasonic GS11 which I still use and will never replace for a SD card ,DVD or HDD model as I just dont think they come up to scratch .Check out the reviews on the various sites .

Kookaburra

Standard Member
Browsing this forum I discover that my Canon HV20 is not only obsolete but cannot be replaced by anything similar - not that I want to replace it, it's still under its 5 year garantie and I can't imagine anything better at the price. But it is scandalous that HDV has disappeared. Why scandalous? Because it is the best format for those wishing to edit their videos, and the only reason for its disappearance is commercial: HDV camcorders probably are more expensive to make than those recording on memory cards. These latter have advantages but far more disadvantages for editing. You will need a powerful PC and an expensive editing programme, and even then ...

chrishull3

Browsing this forum I discover that my Canon HV20 is not only obsolete but cannot be replaced by anything similar - not that I want to replace it, it's still under its 5 year garantie and I can't imagine anything better at the price. But it is scandalous that HDV has disappeared. Why scandalous? Because it is the best format for those wishing to edit their videos, and the only reason for its disappearance is commercial: HDV camcorders probably are more expensive to make than those recording on memory cards. These latter have advantages but far more disadvantages for editing. You will need a powerful PC and an expensive editing programme, and even then ...

Amazon.co.uk: Canon HV40 camcorder

the HV40 is still available[virtualy same as hv20]but sadly i doubt for that much longer,i agree with your points.

chrishull3

So there you have it, Ruth, but sit down before you look at the price. I just checked it out and the price has very nearly doubled since I bought mine.

Of course the link cams were not suggested for ruth she wants a mini dv cam,the link just showed the last remaining HDV cam,my HV30 was £550

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom