1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where To Buy Lcd Tv?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by asimmd, Mar 16, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I am looking to buy my first LCD TV this weekend,and I am in the process of doing my research,though I know nothing about them yet.
    I have noticed some threads advising buyers not to go to Currys,Dixons,Comet etc,and I wondered why?If I eventually work out which set I want,where else could I go to see it in action.
    All I need is a 17 to 26 in screen mainly for Playstation,but She will probably have other ideas when it arrives!
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Alan

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is no reason why you should avoid the high street shops. OK, prices may be a little higher and the assistants may not actually know about the products, but there are good offers to be had and if you do you research first, you don't need to ask them anything!

Also be wary of the [live] feeds that shop sets are connected to, they may not be the best so picture quality may not be representative. Try a dvd if possible.

The thing to do is, do your research, draw up a shortlist, check out cheapest web prices, see if you can view at a local shop, decide where to buy it from.

3. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Go to Currys etc. to see the sets working and if you like it and can wait for it order one on-line. You will almost always get a better price. Even if you want to buy it from Currys etc. check there on-line prices as they are often cheaper than the in-store price. Check other shops like John Lewis, and if you have any smaller local electrical stores. You will find a bit more time locating shops can save you a lot of money.

4. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey havent you read the Sonix thread on the main page???
    If you want a reasonably priced 26" £499 which will make the Playstation look great (mine does) then go to a large Sainsburys asap to check it out :)

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The advice to avoid Curry$, Dixon$, Com€t (et al) is because, despite what their ads and slogans might say, they are always the most expensive places, with the poorest after-sales service.

Buy instead from John Lewis. Not as cheap as the web, but they do have exemplary after-sales and offer a free 5 year warranty on TVs.

6. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I agree with that....John Lewis is great if you are comparing like for like from retail outlets and you dont want to buy online but who wants to pay retail prices anyways?
    My mate bought a 26" Panasonic LCDTV off the net for a huge £289 cheaper than any retail outlet. He can get insurance to cover damage/faults for far less than £389 for 5 years in fact he paid £135 :)
    Some online stores do offer an outlet too, like Misco in Wellingborough. Best of both worlds imo :)