1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy Kenwood KRF-V7060DS in UK?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thux, Mar 4, 2003.

1. thux

thux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a post about Kenwood not being generally available here, and have only found a couple of low-end items stocked by the usual suspects....

So... I'm thinking of importing from good old Deutschland - the site www.idealo.de was quite handy - but unfortunately it looks like the spec will be slightly different (different remote and possible RDS functions).

Reasons for fancying the 7060:

1. Good opinions on music reproduction
    2. Not just PLII to play with, but SRS Circle Surround II too!l (cousin of the Windows Media Player???)
    3. Speaker A/B out
    4. Phono input
    5. Clever remote (though butt ugly)

Voila. Not bad for a budget job.. now if only someone had answered my Q on JMLab speakers, have to patronise the French too!

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not sure if you realise ... but Kenwood have now completely pulled out of the UK AV market ... they're only selling food mixers here now! :)

3. thux

thux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Think you're going to have to sulk ... you liked their stuff but everyone else in the UK prefered to buy Denon or Yamaha or Marantz or even Onkyo and Harmon Kardon rather than Kenwood.

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    thux,

if you go to www.mediacheckpoint.de you can get the 9060 for a good price. The price difference between that one and 7060 or 8060 is not much so that is why I mention 9060.

Also Tottenham court road av-shops in London are selling the 9060 for £400!!! and they put it as a sale sticker with normal price of £500, which we all know is wrong. The recommended price is £450, we should report them to trading standards.

Anyway, with som haggle maybe the price can come down a bit and if you maybe use the argument that Kenwood has withdrawn from the market, therefore it is in their interest to sell them off.

Empire were selling the 6060 (sister model but with non aluminium front) for £185 inclusive, but they withdrew it in January sometime. I even started a thread on the special offers, but no one picked one up. Not even me as it was just not good looking enough, but features and power wise, they are more than cabable to compete with the £250-£300 brackets.

See http://www.kenwood.de/surrec_frmset.htm , lots of tests with Kenwood as winner.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  7. thux

thux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wasabi, thanks for the tip, that site looks very handy.. even available in English!

From there it says:

Kenwood KRF-V7060D @ €444
    8060 @ €528

Can't see a 9060 though it does exist, as you say.

Also cheers to Mike - I will give your place a call and see what they're offering.

If I can't get a Kenwood then a Marantz 5300 would be a nice alternative, just need a phono amp for it. Wonder how they compare sound-wise?

One thing I can't get a handle on is DVD -Audio compatibility. Seems that 5.1 inputs are all that is normally expected, but I've seen mention of DAC frequencies etc. from which one infers that some players will provide a digital out for the amp to decode... great, does it have a name though?!

thanks again luvvies
    Tom

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    RE a phono amp ... lots around for about £40 new, or look at eBay for a Rotel RQ970 (think it's an RQ) as these are meant to be VERY good and can be picked up around £60 usually.

9. thux

thux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thank you. I'll keep my eye out for the Rotel jobbie... wonder what it looks like... Tin box? Soap-on-a-rope?

10. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    IIRC, the Rotel thing is a full sise component, albeit not terribly 'full' within :)

Mike.

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Yes the Rotel is a full sized unit. As I say I've not heard it myself but have read that it's very good.

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    oops sorry thux,

I used to check quite a few German sites last autumn in the hunt for the 9060 and they did have it then and I was a bit hasty now and I thought I saw it as I saw the 8060 etc. Mediacheckpoint is quite good (a friend of mine in Sweden bought the 9060 from there). Other german sites where they sell good priced hifi are www.hifi-regler.de, www.hificomponents.de www.electronica24.de. I have checked hificomponents doesn't sell 9060 anymore either. Not sure if 9060 have hit some production problems. My friend had to have his 9060 serviced as he noticed som hiss sound when there were no musical signal from the speakers, and even after service the hiss is still there but not that noticable. But he does love all the features with THX, CSII and all other sound modes and the learning remote, but non the least, the absolut powerful bass and clarity.

13. thux

thux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terrific, I will give these sites a trawl and see what they have.

The 9060 still appears in the Kenwood amp brochure, wonder what's happened there...