1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy Kef KHT 2005.2 in London?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by edhg, May 25, 2003.

1. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know a good place in (or around) London to buy the new model eggs? I had a look around Tottenham ct road today, however none of the shops would consider less than 800 quid.

I am keen to see the speakers that I buy, as I am conscious about getting ones which are covered by Kef's warranty (i.e. with serial numbers etc. )

2. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TRY richer sounds in leeds they have everything and if not they will get you it for a better price.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response re. Richer Sounds, however, I was under the impression that they did not sell the Eggs in any outlet (probably for the reasons below).

As a side note: there seems to be a real issue with buying these speakers, retailers that I have spoken to are not interested when asked about price matching with the Eggs - something they are more than happy to do with other products.

I know that Kef are very keen on preventing these speakers from being discounted by retailers. However, this restrictive trading approach seems to be very close to being a that which is not permitted under both UK and EU Competition legislation.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Never tried to get a discount on B&W then!!!! they have their dealers on a very strict leash. As for where to buy i guess that you would need to just keep calling round till you get a good price. pricematching is a mugs game really as the reason they are diffferent prices is due to costs etc any retailer that isn't fully convinced they have the best deal would openly pricematch and those that do have strict conditions.
    Good look with the hunt
    PS RS dont sell eggs. Superfi do and had some good deals on the old Eggs.

6. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    edge-sv.co.uk discounted the previous eggs to a good price (£200 off) so I'd satrt there.

I got superfi to pricematch Discount Electrical [discounttv.co.uk] for £635 on the original eggs as they have a retail outlet in the north west (lake district somewhere I think), so that's another to try.

7. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know it's not London but the guys at Creative Audio http://209.167.103.167/home.htm have a very informative page and competitive price for them. I only bought a lead from them but the service was fantastic!

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    B&W and Rotel are anti discount prices being advertised, and products being sold at a distance ... rather than being anti dealers who sell at a discount. I believe that their philosophy is that they believe that you should buy from your local dealer so as to get the best from their products you need to get the advice that should come from local dealers as opposed to faceless sales droids from online / mail order retailers.

In the end the consumer has to decide what is more important ... the support of the manufacturer through the retailer ... or being able to save an extra 1%.

Vikki

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wonder whether the company cars that the directors of B&W undoubtable have, also come from local dealers or did they look around for the best price.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Ian ... they probably just have a contract with a lease company ... who do then buy from the local dealer after negotiating a price from the manufacturer...

Actually most car dealers you have to negotiate the best price ... they sell a limited range of manufacturers products too ... and in an area there will only be 1 or 2 dealers who sell the particular product (make + model) that you are interested in ... and they will have the manufacturers price on the screen ... with the option to negotiate ... oh and sometimes they have special offers that they advertise too ...

Just like most HiFi shops really ...

11. edhg

edhg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd pay the extra to the local dealer were the difference only 1%. When the difference is more akin to 15% it is difficult to justify paying the extra money when you already know the what you want before you walk in the shop. If I need advice, I will go to a dealer, and willingly pay the extra money for the service that they provide. If I already know what I want, why should I pay more?

I find it difficult to believe that the manufacturers motives are entirely altruistic - i.e. supporting the dealer from the internet companies. In practice I think it is more about ensuring that the price (and mystique) of their products are artificially maintained.

12. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I may have just convinced the wife to let me buy these, any idea's where I can get five sats from as I don't want the sub?

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gingerone, do you plan on having a subwoofer? A sub is essential for Kef Eggs. They will sound awful just on there own, a sub will handle sub <80hz (or whatever is below the Kef Eggs LF corner)

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I've got an rel quake already. I currently have pioneer sats that although they look alright are not to hot.