1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy in Europe

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GlenW, Dec 18, 2003.

1. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a home theater system and after reading information here and a bit of searching on the web I am looking prestty seriously at a Yamaha RXV540 reciever and am now searching out for speakers. I already have a Panasonic 32" TV.

Any suggestions as to where to look on the web for vendors who operate in the EU and deliver in Spain where I am currently living?

Also any suggestions for a speaker system in the 600€ price range, 400 to 500 pounds price range? The room is large 4m by 12m and will have the system set up in half of it. Listen to music a lot and will use for watching DVD´s.

The RXV540 can handle a centre front and a centre rear speaker, has anyone set this up and is it worth it? Or should I stay with the normal centre front only?

What about a subwoofer, do I need one to start with, bit concerned that I live an apartment and a subwoofer may cause problems for others dwelling here? Any recommendations on this.

Where I am living at the moment I do not get many/ any oppurtunities to listen to some speakers but will be in England for 2 weeks over christmas so will check out some then.

Many Thanks for your help in advance.

Glen

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Glen,

search on wasabi on the amplifier section and choose my "best summary prices" thread, and at the bottom you will see links to some German retailers (usually the cheapest that ships to other countries) that ships to whole of EU, in particular hificomponents (extremt good prices) are very good. Many of my friends in Sweden has bought from them. Mediacheckpoint is also good.

UPDATE - I have found a German online retailer that also has a Spanish version, so that should mean less delivery cost. this is the site http://es.redcoon.com

The space you will use (4x6m) of 26square meters a big room. I was gonna say that a 540 level amp won't be enough for proper sound pressure, but I noticed you are even concerned of your neighbours, so it might be enough.

These are my suggestions.

Sat-sub system Infinity Oreus €687 + around €42 for delivery (recommended price is €1199, so it is a very good price) Superb sound, looks really good too, and you can buy an extra single speaker to make it a 6.1 system.
    http://www.hificomponents.de/dyndata/Versand_eng/features/Spanien_50023629.html

This independent german online tester rate it as good as Kef Eggs, http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/infinityoreus.shtml (you can translate it with either google or babelfish at altavista.co.uk). I rate the website higher than magazines as I don't think they truly test them (e.g. 1page is not what I call an indepth test) and they are probably a bit biased because of advertisment revenues.
    The Oreus also very popular in Swedish forums, and I'm sure that most UK mags gave it 5stars, maybe members here can help me out?

I was gonna suggest the Eggs 2005.2 but they are so expensive in Germany and UK retailers don't ship outside UK therefore, unfortunately it is not a option I reckon unless someone knows other retailers with a good price in e.g. Holland.

I think if you choose the Oreus (which I hope), then you need an receiver that can really utilise the quality of the speakers, you should maybe move up a step or two for the receivers. I have chosen very good receivers with excellent prices from German retailers that ships to Spain or redcoon in Spain, and in line with the best prices in UK, other brands I couldn't find for a good price.

Onkyo TX-SR601E €489 + €46 = hificomponents
    http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/onkyo_TX-SR601_review_01.html (Onkyo is a very big brand outside UK, very popular in the States and in Europe e.g. Germany and Sweden)

Pioneer VSX-D912S €492 + €46 = hificomponents
    http://www.areadvd.de/english/pioneer_vsx-d912_e.shtml (shorter English version, The brand needs no introduction and 912 is very good indeed and has the automatic room calibration which is really useful, but is not the best in the class anymore)

Denon AVR-1804S €450 - hificomponents
    http://www.areadvd.de/english/denon_avr_1804.shtml (shorter English version, the favourite amp together with 740. It has the very wide range and useful crossover filters for when the sub should take over the low frequency signals)

Yamaha RX-V740 Titan €479 + €12? = es.redcoon
    http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/yamaharxv740.shtml (only German version, but they say 740 is definetily worth the extra money over the 640, and it is their favourite amp together with 1804)

Yamaha RX-V640 Titan €405 + €12? = es.redcoon
    http://www.areadvd.de/english/yamaharx_v_640.shtml (If you really can't afford the 740, then 640 is an extremely good buy too, but just not as good buy as its big brother)

There are loads of discussions on which amp is the best on the amp department. There will be different opinions, but none of the amps are bad. I reckon Denon 1804 or Yamaha 740 will last for many years.

Wasabi

3. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wasabi

Been a long time for me to reply but I have been looking further into it and reading a lot more on the site here, particularily about speakers. I am coming around to your suggestion of the Yamaha RXV740 Amp but am still a little bit stuck on the speakers.

My wife likes the look of the Infinity Oreus which is a plus. Thye have excellent reviews. Where can I buy the extra speaker from? redcoon.es does a pretty good price on both systems but have not seen any links to the stands or additional speakers.

OR

What do I gain if I go down the path of say buying the Canton series LE 200 with the 207´s at the front, the 202´s as the surround and the 205 as the centre? It gives me a more traditional speaker look which I would sort of like. It is the same price (about) as the Oreus but I do not have a sub. I could get a cheap one or not worry for a while and rely on the speakers? There is other combinations that I have looked at here as well such as the JBL northridge series or Jamo E series. As before no chance to trial but just looking at the web in the price range. If someone has links to some reviews on these speakers that would be great

OR

I could go for the Infinity Alpha HCSII ad later on get some large front speakers from the Infinity Alpha range.

It is probably between the Oreus and the second option of a set of Canton LE 200 series or JBL Northridge series.

Thanks

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Glen,

The full range speaker series you mentioned will all end up more expensive than Oreus. And Oreus will produce good musical notes.

Canton LE200 series - not popular among Swedes at the Swedish forums, they go for other Canton ranges e.g. Ergo, CD, MX or LE100 which is a popular one, excellent sound across the whole frequency range. With 2fronts LE207, 1center E205cm, 3rears LE102s = you are already way over your 600euro budget, thats without a sub, which is needed if you use LE207s, even with LE107 as fronts, a sub is almost always used looking at the Swedish forum members configurations. Otherwise a really good brand.

JBL Northbridge - got a good test review from a swedish mag. JBL is famous for bass and this has plenty of it, and quite neutral and balanced according to the review. The E60s as front as E10s/E20s as rears and a center EC25s, again you passed 600 long time ago, but a sub can be added later as you get quite a lot of bass from the fronts.

Infinity Alpha HCSII - good but its not that popular among Swedes, don't know why. Areadvd gave a quite good review, but for the money you can get the Oreus instead.

Jamo E series - again a very popular brand, and the E series really popular. It is like buying the Canton LE100 series. It will cost you more.

I think in terms of value for money, the Oreus are unbeaten, and if you don't want to go over your budget then, get these.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to get the stands or additional speakers. You will have to look at the german sites. Go to my "summary" thread at the amp department, there are some german price engines where you can go to each store and have a look. I know that www.hificomponents.de and digitalo.de sells the set and stands. Maybe if you send them emails, or contact the infinity distributor in spain and germany, to find retailers that sells additional speaker.

Wasabi

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi Glen. I am also spanish, and I live in Germany since 2 years.
    I use www.preistendenz.de to find how prices are going in the german market. Most of dealers will send to spain.
    I can tell you my cousin bought an Infinity Alpha HCS II plus a Denon 1604 amp in Spain for 1215 euro altoghether, the guy (friend of him) said he wouldn't find it cheaper in Spain... Well, in germany it would have been 400 euro cheaper!! I bet you won't get that much of sending costs... I'd go for it, I think the only problem might be the warranty, which since some time ago is always through the dealer, so you can't go with your item to a repair shop (as far as I've heard... Wouldn't that be illegal?).
    Now I am in a hurry, but I can take a look tomorrow to see prices for what you are looking for. You can also PM me, and we can chat in spanish... But don't ask advice about the product, I am not an expert... I also look for advice in this forum. What I can help with is prices in germany, which, btw, seem to be far cheaper than in spain, and plainly cheaper than in uk. Don't know about France or other eu countries...
    See you!

6. GlenW

GlenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will be in contact cribeiro, although in english, I am still learning spanish.

Am getting more convinced about the Oreus as I checked one of the prices that I had before on the JBL Northridge series and while the search engine says it is for a pair it is only for a single speaker, as it was for the E90 it makes a big difference to the budget. Still quite enamored with the JBL Northridge series but I would have to review the budget before going down that path.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Glen