1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy HD dvd's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Fontie, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ive got my HD dvd player sammy 950 and my HD TV Sammy H5 now im after a couple of hd dvd's. Where's best place to get them that ship to the UK.

Thanks

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Err - the Samsung isn't an HD-DVD player is it? It is a DVD player that plays regular DVDs but upscales these to HD resolutions over it's HDMI output. (Samsung seem to call this "HD Conversion")

There are no commercially available "HD-DVD" players (or BluRay, its rival format) yet - and no discs for them. Your player plays regular standard def DVDs - albeit at very high quality.

The Samsung may support Divx video burned to DVD-ROM (I see the brochure includes a Divx logo on the front), as opposed to DVD video encoded in MPEG2, and it may be that it supports Divx in HD resolution as well as SD. However I don't know of any commercial releases in this format - though people are transcoding US HDTV over-the-air recordings to Divx HD I think.

The bulk of DivxHD material that is available for download seem to be film trailers.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    The samsung can only play SD divx and not HD divx.

If you have a WMV HD player or a decent pc you can get these discs here or here

:thumbsup:

4. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Got myself a bit confused i just assumed the Sammy 950 could play HD DV's because it had HD on the box. I dont know much about HD and it shows. ohh well least my regular dvd's look better

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of any WMV HD Players? I can't recall seeing much of them.

6. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is there anywhere in the UK that you can buy / rent WMV HD's either new or used?

I just want to be able to show the quality to the missues and dont want to spend approx £25!!

7. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    If youve got a PC why dont you try and download the Hi Def movies that are located around the 'Net?

The Batman Begins trailer looks fantastic on my PC connected to my Sharp 26GA3E.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:
    There are a few, denon support WMV HD and there are a few cheaper players such as Buffalo. Do a search in google for WMV HD dvd players and see what you find. :thumbsup:

As for buying second hand WMV HD disc's I doubt it as they are as rare as rocking horse sh*t. You might find one or two on ebay if you are lucky. The discs only cost around £20 and they are worth it.

As danvitale said there is loads of HD demos/trailers online for download.
    :D

List here

9. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Do the actual DVD's come with the large black bars as in the trailers?

10. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered the Buffalo actually, but it seems it does not upscale normal DVD's. Also had a look at the I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2, which does upscale, but I hear the quality is so-so.

Not looked into the Denon though, so I'll google it!

11. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

if that's how the film is supposed to be then yes.

12. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    folks lets just give it another 24 - 36 months until true HDef dvd players become a reality :O)

Machines such as the samsung 950 will suffice until then :O)

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    HD-DVD players and BR ones, will surface next year without a doubt.
    Already Japan has a Sony BR player, which someone on eBay is importing and selling.
    2-3 years will see mid-price players - £150-200, rather than £7-800+ next year. Oh the price early adopters have to bear!

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Important to remember that the Japanese BR recorders (not sure if there is a player only) on sale in Japan are NOT the same as the BluRay devices that will compete with HD-DVD. The stuff on-sale in Japan is a different type of BluRay (kind of a pre-cursor to the full format)

The BR kit on sale in Japan is kind of a D-VHS equivalent, designed to record and replay MPEG2 off-air recordings of Japanese HD broadcasts for home timeshifting etc. They are being used in the UK in some shops selling Sony displays to demo HD.

However they don't support MPEG4 (and VC-1?) and neither do they have the same rights management - and I'm not sure if they support the same on-disc structure for things like menus. They do, however, have full-resolution analogue HD component outputs!

I'd hate for anyone to buy a BluRay device imported from Japan and be under the impression it is likely to play commercially released BluRay pre-recorded material when that format launches. It is very likely that it won't...

(One of the most recent Sony standard def broadcast camcorder formats is also closely related to BluRay - XDCam discs are very similar to the caddy variant of BR)