Where to buy Harmony One Plus with colour buttons?

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have had a Harmony One for the last 2-3 years and not had a problem with it. However my missus finds it difficult to use as it doesn't have any hard colour buttons...obviously i've programmed unused keys to colours but being a woman, even that is too complicated for her :( Anyway according to this amazon review, the Logitech Harmony One Plus used to come with hard colour buttons but not anymore. Anyone know where to buy such a remote?
Cheers
(PS yes i know the Harmony 900 comes with colour buttons but AFAIK that does things a little differently to the Harmony One so want to avoid buying the 900)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are several misleading comments in the review and that's one of them. The hard buttons for the colour commands haven't been "removed" from anything. At a guess the writer means that until the One came out the previous models all had them. The only thing that's different about the One+ is that it can be used with the primitive web based setup system that was originally meant for the basic 300 model, though why anyone would want to do that is a mystery. You do get the colour commands on the large clear coloured discs, and you can put them on spare buttons as well or instead, but it's true that some people don't like either alternative so the One is not for them. Although the 900 does have very small hard buttons for the colour commands, the only justification for paying the much higher price is if you have use for the IR/RF/IR extendability that is its main distinguishing feature - and quite a substantial difference.

Thanks logiciel. May have to go for the 900 if i can find a cheap second hand one. Is it true that the 900 is step down in features from the Harmony One as this reviewer says?

How does the RF work on the 900? Do you have to physically connect the RF receiver to the back of your tv or sky box? Could the 900 be used to operate my Boxee Box which has a RF remote?

The only thing he seems to have against the 900 is that you can't assign up to five commands to be sent at the touch or press of one button as you can with some earlier models.
Logitech found from their user database that few used that feature so they dropped it.
It's certainly nowhere a good enough reason for deciding against the 900.
On the other hand the tiny hard buttons for the colour commands are nowhere near a good enough reason for deciding for it.
The reason that it costs more than twice the price of the One is the extendability, which is excellent, if you need it, or if you can make up a need for it, and that's the justification for selecting it over other models.
The One gives you a choice for each device whether it will emit the control signal by IR or by RF. The choice of IR of course requires line of sight from remote to device. The extender that receives the RF signal can be out of line of sight of the remote. It converts that to IR and emits it to the devices, either direct or through one of its two emitters according to your initial specification. No physical conenction is required to the devices.
No universal remote can control devices that have original remotes that do not work by IR.
HTH - Logi

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom