1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy dualdiscs

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by john R1, Jan 17, 2005.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody know tried any dualdiscs and if so where do you buy them from ?

2. mambojambo

mambojambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Don't think he means that. SVP sell blank discs and stuff, not dualdisc!

Dualdisc is a Hybrid CD/DVDAudio disc that is a last attempt to save the DVD Audio format.

I've invested in the DVD Audio technology, and since Sony may well be pulling the plug on SACD to concentrate on BluRay, I'd like to see the alternative high res audio format succeed.

I'd also be very interested in what is available on dual disc. I've only got 1 DVD audio disc, and my DVD Audio player cost £2500 (Denon DVD-A1).
    So I want more decent stuff to play on it.

4. mambojambo

mambojambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ah sorry thought it was dual layer dvd+r

5. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    There's a list of dualdiscs here......http://buydvdnow.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Dualdisc
    I've never bought from this site though so can't comment on what they're like.
    Their shipping rates are $9.00 for first title and $1.00 each for extra titles up to a maximum of 5 titles. It might be worth doing a google on any title that you fancy to see if it can be bought cheaper elsewhere.
    I've got a few dvd-audio discs but have yet to buy any dualdiscs.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    John/Jules

A lot of the manufacturers are advising against playing the discs in their machines. If you do order from the US site be wary of customs charges if you order in bulk to save on postage.

If you want some "dual discs" why not got for the hybrid SACD discs? If (when?) Sony do drop SACD at least you will still be able to play the CD layer. Also every DVD-A disc will have a DVD-V Dolby Digital layer and sometimes a DTS track too :smashin:

Buy these and get the most out of your fabulous Denon NOW :thumbsup: Try Amazon.co.uk or Play.com and you'll get a great selection of both DVD-A and SACD hybrids for between £8.99-£15.99.

I've got nearly 100 SACDs and DVD-As and I've not had any problems at all. I just sit back and enjoy :beer:

7. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i've got about 50 dvd-a's and sacd's, some aren't great but generally speaking they're very good, some of them stunning. i've ordered my first dual-disc, nine inch nails' the downward spiral, from amazon.com, but i haven't got it yet. it has been shipped though. according to what i've read, only a very small number of machines have had problems with dual-discs. in my own experience several machines had problems with hybrid sacd's but no company ever issued a warning about them. it seems the real issue is that dual-disc is a direct competitor with sony and phillips' baby, sacd. sony were the first to issue a compatibility warning and philips have refused to allow a cd logo on the discs, they hold the patents, and have also issued a compatibility warning.