where to buy denon 1sr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by codling, May 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi all

ive rang around a few places getting an idea of a price,
    the best price so far is £2100(thanks to patmyhead).but for this price i have a feeling they will be grey imports.
    im willing to pay this price(which is very good) but what is the risks if it is grey imported.

i have the yamaha a1,which i still love, but cause of its problems with my arcam dvd player,(dropouts which are doing my headin),im ready for an reluctant upgrade.so im seriously considering the 1sr.

cheers carl

2. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI
    I have been told that the denon is UK stock & carries the usual warrenties give them a bell & talk to BEN he seems a nice guy
    [email protected] :D

3. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    cheers patmyhead.

i also rang global hifi newcastle,the lad there quoted£2999.when i asked if he could match £2100 he just laughed and said there is no way they could sell them for that as they must be greysand that the denen warrenty will be void and denon uk wont touch it if out goes wrong.
    he just kept trying to get me into there shop as they are the only official denon gold dealers in the north.
    he was talking to me as if i was a idiot,saying things like"you know this is not just a normal amp sir "the way he was going on has put me off them,totally talking down to me,dont think ill bother with them.

has anyone ever dealt with any of these companies,i would like to use sound and vision but they dont know when they are getting them in.

discountelectrial £2100
    digital direct £2100
    leconcepts £2250

cheers carl

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    discountelectrial £2100
    digital direct £2100
    leconcepts £2250

At these prices it sounds like these are private imports (ie. foreign companies willing to send units to the UK).
    You will have to be careful though – if the unit is DOA or faulty you will have to send it back to the country of origin for service. Remember it weighs 29kg (33.5kg in it's box).

If you go with a UK outlet that has already imported the units, they by law will have to supply a year's warranty. If the unit goes wrong in this time or is DOA they usually replace the unit with a new one and deal with the faulty unit by exporting it back themselves. It's more expensive though and an AVC-A1SR will cost £2,400+.

I really can’t understand why the proper UK DENON equipment is so expensive – I'm not saying that Hayden Labs are ripping anybody off but it does seem that we pay well over the odds compared to the continent and especially the US.

At £2,100, an imported A1SR is very cheap, but I'd be very reluctant. If I was going to import, I'd most likely try and get hold of an AVR-5803 from Canada.

Mark

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are lucky that you don't live in Ireland when it comes to prices.

I had no option but to import from Germany and the best price that I could get was Euro 3699 plus Euro 79 carriage which is about £2350. I am, therefore, a bit surprised by the prices that you have listed (are you sure that these prices include VAT?).

I purchased from www.mediacheckpoint.de. I actually got a slightly better price from www.hificomponents.de however as many people here recommend against using them I went with the more expensive option.

I visited leconcepts site and their quoted price is £2499

6. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I purchased my last Denon amp from Sound and Vision (Bolton) and although this is a grey import (German), the shop itself still supplies a year warranty anyway!

I may sell my A1SE for £1500 and add the £600 I was going to spend on the upgrade and just get the A1SR?

Kane

7. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    this is what they quoted me when i asked if they could better £2100 they said £2250 was the best they could do.aslso they have a shop in the metro

i believe all the companies i rang are british based,got all the numbers out of hcc.

gonna go to where i got my dvd player from the weekend and see what price they can do

carl

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    codling:

Leconcepts have a retail outlet in the MetroCentre up here in the northeast. I would imagine that buying from them would be quite safe.
    Global Hifi. Yes, well I have had only good dealings with these people. There is something in what they say about a warranty and a physical presence in the high street (as Leconcepts have), but whether or not this justifies the price hike only you can decide. Personally, I wouldn't pay for an integrated at £3k anyhow, but £2200 does seem alot better in my eyes.
    As a side note, a freind of mine asked whether or not he could get a discount on a product. The shop replied that they wouldn't as: "...we are selling all of our stock at retail prices, sir. Until this stops, we shan’t be discounting that product". This is what will be happening at Global Hifi with most Denon Products, judging by the good reviews they have had. Now, if you were to ask for a Harman/Kardon 8500 or something that might be different...

Russell