1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy cables for 7.1 connection from Audigy2 to Denon 3802 ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by digitalsafari, Dec 10, 2003.

1. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It looks like the Audigy 2 zs needs a special cable for connecting in 7.1 mode.

Where can I buy these cables ?

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Why go to the trouble/expense of analogue interconnects?
    The Audigy has an SPDIF (digital) output. The 3802 also has this input so a basic digital lead costing from around £10 up depending on length will do the job.

Mark.

3. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Because for games you need to connect via analogue for in-game 7.1 audio and also for DVD-Audio playback.

4. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/ should offer the cables you are after .
    Audio Video -> Audio-Video Equipment and Accessories -> Leadsx (x refers to the fact that there are four leads links) .

You can also try sites such as http://www.homestead.co.uk or http://www.maplin.co.uk if you are looking for alternatives .

Before you start however, check your audigy2 manual - mine's at 'Start -> Programs -> Creative -> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 -> Documentation -> Online Manual' . That's an Audigy 2 OEM mind . If the path is different and you can't find it either browse/search for a similarly titled document(try a search for any .pdf documents in the Creative folder for instance), or otherwise browse/search the driver CD . Once you've found it, primarily check the "Installing Hardware" section which sould give you details on the jacks and leads appropriate for use with the card . In mine there is a section titled "Connecting External Consumer Devices" . this section should give you specifics on the type of cables to connect to external amps/receivers .

I had a look at the back of your receiver on the Denon website and it seems to offer an 8-channel EXT. IN . I you decide to connect using SP-DIF then you only require one cable . Otherwise, if you connect using the EXT. IN then you will need to determine how many speakers you are using(5.1, 6.1, 7.1) in order to decide which cables to buy . If you intend to use a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system(I assume the ZS has only 3 line-out ports - right?) then you will require a mini-jack to 3-phono(RCA) lead . I think these are referred to as a 3.5mm 4-pole jack plugs(sorry - don't use them myself, so can't confirm) . You would probably need to refer to the manual or Creative's on-line support forums on the specifics of the port outputs if you only want to connect a 6.1 system - otherwise just buy the 4-pole leads and use trial and error .

Note: you should be able to connect both analogue-out lead(s) and the digital-out lead at the same time . The option over which to use is determined by your control panel - should be something like 'Speaker Settings -> Speaker Selection' then the 'Digital Output Only' toggle box . You don't need to re-start to change from analogue to digital output .

What are the advantages of using the analogue outputs?:
    You would use these over the digital out if you required an audio signal that the computer would only output on the analogue outs(with particular reference to gaming) .

As I understand it the Audigy will only only output stereo on the digital lead unless it receives a digital signal(such as an SP-DIF pass-through option on your software DVD player) . You'd need to ask someone more knowledgeable on these forums to determine what the digital signal is composed of(DTS/DD/DTS ES/DD EX 6.1/etc.) when watching a DVD for instance, but it would probably be more appropriate to use the digital out when looking to decode a DTS/DD/etc. signal on pass-through, and the analogue outs when you want the software player to decode the signal . All depends on whether the amp/receiver or the software decoding sounds better .

Last, but most important:
    Whatever the hell you do, make sure that the connectors will actually fit together on the Audigy, side-by-side . Guess who set-up a Denon 1603 and Mordaunt Short Premier system on Monday only to find that he made the bloody stupid decision to buy twenty quid worth of interconnects(analogue outs) to find that only two of the connectors(at the mini-jack end) would actually fit on the card . The joys of 3.1 - pro-logic anyone!?
    I can't really help you choose appropriate leads until I have bought a selection of leads to test and replace my current lot . Just don't buy the Nikkai Pure Connectivity 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 Phono Leads @ £7.99 from Maplin.co.uk - they won't fit ;-P .
    Make sure you have a look at the mini-jack end of whatever leads you decide to buy(CPC provide photos of most of their kit) . If they look a bit chunky, then you may want to avoid them(have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/35928i0.jpg for an example of this ;-) . You shouldn't have to worry about the digital-out lead though, unless the ZS has it located right next to the line-outs .

5. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  6. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between that and the Panasonic lead?

Update:
    Ahh... it's the position of the ground connection that I would assume makes the difference .

7. deadhammer

deadhammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a previous poster said, make sure the cables will fit side by side. I bought mine from the sony center in Derby they are branded "vivanco " and have a rectangular shaped minijack which means they fit beautifully together into the sound card. For the stereo fronts I am using an Ixos silver cable which is high quality but also has a very small diameter minijack..

8. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are those part no. 13824, 1.5m at around eight euros?

9. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42