Where to buy b&w in scotland?

figolovechild

Hi Guys,
Looking to buy my first 'real' Speaker package:thumbsup:. Im very keen on the B&W 685's but problem is I'm not sure where the best place to buy is. So i am going to nip your heads for knowledge of reputable dealers in scotland. I live in fife so travelling to places like Edinburgh or Glasgow wont be a problem. Found some pretty good internet dealers but obv if i want a demo then thats no good and some only have store prices online but there stores are down south:rolleyes:....
Any help would much appreciated guys. cheers

Davieboy00

ARNOLD AKIEN

Hi Guys,
Looking to buy my first 'real' Speaker package:thumbsup:. Im very keen on the B&W 685's but problem is I'm not sure where the best place to buy is. So i am going to nip your heads for knowledge of reputable dealers in scotland. I live in fife so travelling to places like Edinburgh or Glasgow wont be a problem. Found some pretty good internet dealers but obv if i want a demo then thats no good and some only have store prices online but there stores are down south:rolleyes:....
Any help would much appreciated guys. cheers

The B and W ' Find A Dealer ' page is here ...

Find a B&W Speaker Dealer – Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers United Kingdom Scotland

You shouldn't have too much trouble in finding a conveniently located dealer.

ARNOLD AKIEN

Thanks for your help bud:thumbsup:

You are very welcome.

A modest suggestion ... which may well have already have occurred to you. :rolleyes:

Take your own selection of DVD /Blu Ray and CD material with you when you chose your target Dealer. Take along with you any significant - Female -person who might be intended to share your B and W speakers ... and rest of your proposed equipment. She WILL be SO Pleased! :D This can either be Defined as a Cheap Date or as a Really Expensive Date dependent upon how you look at it ..... either way you can always Blame Her.

Do bear in mind that your new speakers will need to be partnered with suitable Receiver and Source equipment. B and W are well known to be quite Warm Speakers that work pretty well with such Receivers as Denon or Arcam ... although when I auditioned B and W they also worked quite well with upmarket ONKYO Receivers.

Bear in mind that DVD/ Blu Ray Players, be they ever so expensive, are really geared toward Movies and that if you have a bias toward Music on CD then you would be well advised to buy a decent CD player as well as a DVD/Blu Ray ... I have an Arcam CD Player fed through my Denon 2808 Receiver on Pure so that all the Music from CD is handled by the Arcam with the Denon 2808 managing Amplification to the Front left and right B and W 704 stereo Pair.

Allow sufficient time for your audition! Try to collaborate with your dealer on a time when they wont be busy and then .... well I spent an entire afternoon with Lintone Audio in Gateshead before I bought my 700/600 series 5 speaker system that meshes really well with my BK sub, so do thou like wise with your dealer since it is the mark of a good dealer that they wont mind you taking your time.

Beware of people who try to hurry you along. :D

Try for a DEAL that combines B and W speakers with whatever else you might need since that will usually lower the overall cost of your system.

See if you can get the Dealer to Install the system ... if you NEED to be told why then I shall tell you. :rolleyes:

Happy Hunting,

Arnold.

figolovechild

I shall take on your advice. I was hoping to try them with the Onkyo 507. Hopefully this does suit the speakers but if you know otherwise then please be honest cause i really do want to get this right. The only Blu-ray player i have is my PS3 so hopefully this will be fine within the set-up? Think that will just be a straight HD lead from PS3 to receiver then receiver to HDTV?

I hear what your saying about taking my time with dealer. Some do tend to rush you but end of day its a lot of money to be parting with and i have to be happy. Sorry i meant my wife and i have to be happy lol.

To be honest i thought i would be able to set it up with a bit of trial and error but i have a feeling thats probably the wrong thing to do the way you are talking lol. So why do you think its best for dealer to set it up. I take it its to do with warranty?

Thanks for your time by the way.

pwood

Fife! Jings! Give Hifi Corner in Falkirk a call and ask for Paul (manager).

Otherwise call Ian at LOUD-CLEAR Edinburgh who takes a lot of time to find out what you like before even starting the sales process. Cant say I care for those B&W you mention all i can say is DEMO a few options.

Last edited:

ARNOLD AKIEN

I shall take on your advice. I was hoping to try them with the Onkyo 507. Hopefully this does suit the speakers but if you know otherwise then please be honest cause i really do want to get this right. The only Blu-ray player i have is my PS3 so hopefully this will be fine within the set-up? Think that will just be a straight HD lead from PS3 to receiver then receiver to HDTV?

I hear what your saying about taking my time with dealer. Some do tend to rush you but end of day its a lot of money to be parting with and i have to be happy. Sorry i meant my wife and i have to be happy lol.

To be honest i thought i would be able to set it up with a bit of trial and error but i have a feeling thats probably the wrong thing to do the way you are talking lol. So why do you think its best for dealer to set it up. I take it its to do with warranty?

Thanks for your time by the way.

No it's not a question of warranty but rather one of expertise.

It depends on the kind of system you intend to buy of course but if you intend to buy an expensive B and W speaker plus a Receiver in the same class then it is wise to use the services of your dealer in setting up the system. As a small example I'll mention that I set up my Denon 2808 Receiver with the supplied microphone and an improvised stand and the process took ages even though I have had lots of practice with AV equipment. When I replaced my old 5.1 speaker system with B and W the dealers technician used the same mike as I had but employed his own microphone stand to place the mike in just the right place for each of the many Audessy readings and the process took a fraction of the time it had taken me ... and he didn't trip over the mike during the last reading and have to start all over again. Apparently one of my dealers customers had a few weeks previous to my installation gone one better than me and in tripping over the microphones wire had sheered the microphone leads plug flush with the face of the receiver.

Of course if you want to have fun setting up your own system and just want to have the kit delivered then all well and good but if you spend enough the dealer may well throw in a simple installation job for free .. mine did though in fairness the speaker cables were already in place and I did spend quite a lot on the speakers. :D

Its the error part of trial and error that you need to worry about when you do your own installation but if you take your time and hold onto your patience you shouldn't have too much of a problem provided the rooms layout is fairly straightforward.

It doesn't hurt to ask if the dealer will throw in installation.

PS 3 should be fine for general purpose Movies as well as gaming .. it's become one of the mainstays of Blu Ray Home Cinema as well as being a games machine though rivals in the stand alone Blu Ray player line are falling in price and so it's not the automatic choice anymore. Since you do have a PS3 already you can concentrate on Receiver and Speakers. The Onkyo should be fine too but do try to audition it against something else .. a Denon say.

PS 3 is very good at what it does but it isn't really a CD player as such and so a separate CD player would be best if you have many CDs and want to get the best from them on your new system.

I hope that this has been of help.

Arnold.

figolovechild

Thanks for all your help Arnold. I will try out the denon against others and see.
I think i am kidding myself on about setting it up my self so think i should just bite the bullet and get them to do it for me, that way i know im getting the best from my system. Thanks again.

figolovechild

Fife! Jings! Give Hifi Corner in Falkirk a call and ask for Paul (manager).

Otherwise call Ian at LOUD-CLEAR Edinburgh who takes a lot of time to find out what you like before even starting the sales process. Cant say I care for those B&W you mention all i can say is DEMO a few options.

Ok will do. thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom