• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Where to buy - Apple or John Lewis?

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
I can feel myself giving in and will end up getting an ipad mini sooner rather than later :laugh:

however, John Lewis offer a 2 year warrenty with all their tablets - so where would you rather buy from, Apple themselves or John Lewis? Both offer excellent customer service etc.

I suppose an additional benefit of JL is that there are sometimes discount codes kicking about

Flatcoat

Established Member
I would only buy from JL because of the extra warranty which is fully transferrable if you sell the iPad on. The price is virtually always the same.

It is probably worth buying from Apple if you want to try something out as I believe you can return used goods up to 14 days after purchase.

anika hanson

Established Member
I'll be buying another iPad mini next week as I want more storage. I'm thinking I will get it from John Lewis.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
JL - the service is always good.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
John Lewis - the last couple of iPads I have bought have been from there (except my Retina that came through work) - you have the option to go back to Apple in the first year, then JL in the second. I am sure there are reasons to go to Apple over JL, but I don't think any of them will relate to me and I think that I will likely suggest JL for anyone purchasing an Apple product for the extra warranty.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
well, seen as the next ipad mini probably won't be out now until october time i may well bite the bullet and buy one now and then sell and buy the next incarnation when it does come out. i was only holding off incase a new retina one became available in march/april.

the only main positive i can see with apple over JL is if a situation happened again like it did in october last year. i bought the mrs an ipad 3 for her birthday then 2 weeks later apple released the ipad 4 - no difference really, but always nice to have the latest.

however, apple said they would willingly take back any ipad 3's bought in the last 28 days (result) but they had to be bought from apple themselves, not another retailer - which meant we are stuck with our comet bought ipad.

mikelj

Prominent Member
Whereas I think it's pretty straight forward; buy from Apple. The JL two year warranty isn't a deciding factor - the UK's Sales of Goods and Services act has you covered, provided you're the type of person who comfortable/confident enough to exercise their rights.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Which is essentially what JL are doing, on your behalf. Saves the aggro for those who aren't overly confident I guess.

mikelj

Prominent Member
Which is essentially what JL are doing, on your behalf. Saves the aggro for those who aren't overly confident I guess.

I've always found Apple CS to be really good, although I've never had to 'test' them with an issue for an out of warranty item.

As you said, if you're not confident dealing with these types of issues then JL would probably be the better option.

ferret1979

Established Member
What happens if you buy from John Lewis, Apple replace the iPad during the first year, then it goes faulty again in the second year?

It's not physically the iPad they sold you.

asu

Banned
well if you take it to john lewis then it will still be under their responsibility, and they should replace it anyway

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom