1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy a US (or Jap) PSP?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by matt bellamy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After buying a PSP on eBay and losing £235 plus spending the last 3 weeks stressing out I have come to the realisation that I must move on and have decided to buy another PSP. Can anyone give me a link to a good online shop that will sell the PSP in the USA and ship to UK or a UK based company that imports US or Jap PSP's an sells them in UK. Since I've already spent £235 on a PSP and game :mad: , a reasonable price is a must and as I've been ripped off already I will only buy from a reliable company. So, can someone please recommend a place for me to buy one from.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    dvd soon. £104. Sorted.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    ebay should refund you the money if you were ripped off mate.

Oh yeah, and don't use paypal either.

4. MountBatten

MountBatten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you wait until the US release date? If so the retailers like http://www.dvdboxoffice.com and http://www.videogamesplus.ca/ might be worth checking out. http://www.importmadness.co.uk are doing it for £150 http://www.tronixweb.com aren't advertising their deals yet. http://www.lik-sang.com are another one.

You might get stung for Import duty/VAT but that is probably peanuts compared to what you have just lost - sorry to hear about that.

More details on importing at http://www.ntsc-uk.com

5. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks for all the links. I'll have a look around their websites and see which offer the best deals and service. Is it definately due for release in US on 24/3/05 because if not I'll probably buy from Lik-sang.

Games Guru, why shouldn't I have used PayPal? I have filed a complaint against the seller on their site, do you think it's unlikely that PayPal will recover at least some of my money.

Cheers :D

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Have you got a link to this? Seems a great price but I can't find it anywhere.

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It isn't that price any more. It was a special offer. Based on early pricing and taking advantage of their Fidelity card membership. It also doesn't account for the likely customs fees that will be charged.

Still much cheaper than the UK even if it does get hit.

If you go to DVDSoon.com and in the second drop down select PSP.Acc to show PSP accessories you will see it is now $300 Canadian (£130 + shipping). If you join the Fidelity card for $50 (£21) you get 2 free DVDs and the price for the PSP will go down to $270 shipped (£116).

Customs could be about £30 once they charge VAT and the silly amount they charge for opening a package.

Still even with membership and customs that makes it around £167, not bad for a PSP value pack and 2 DVDs, considering the UK one is likely to cost more and is still a few months away.

Best to order games seperately as shipping is free once a member (or about £1 if not) and they will probably not get any customs charges.

Cheers
    Marc

8. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah its all good

i have a psp buyers guide mr bellamy, it should give you a reasonably complete list of ideas but its difficult to keep on top of whos selling for what

sorry to here about your ebay problems. PSP is attracting too many ebay scammers.

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Id defo go for videogameplus.ca ... excellent service, delivery and price :0)

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Cheers Marc! Yeah that still sounds a decent deal & quite tempting! :thumbsup:

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Don't give in to the temptation! You'll never use it! :rotfl: :thumbsup:

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    :D hehe I feel that my attempts to rationalise my purchase of a PSP have all but died a death. They are superb machines and when I first saw the videos of Ridge Racers they blew me away. I seriously have never really shown any interest in a handheld until now (since the original GB & GG anyway) but the PSP is stunning.

I guess on the plus side a handheld is easier to just pick up and play than a full size console. With a console you need to be in the right room, set up the PJ screen (in my case), plug in joypads & turn it on. With a handheld you just pick it up, flick a switch and then you're gaming.

13. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the advice guys. I am about to order PSP value pack, Wipeout and twisted metal from www.dvdboxoffice.com for £182. The price seems too good to be true even with £25 customs charges. Is boxoffice.com a reliable company and does anyone know how long after lauch I will receive the PSP.

cheers

14. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I've bought games and DVDs from them. They are very cheap but I find the item can take a long time to arrive. I'm off to the states at the end of April so will buy one while I'm out there - if I can't get one then I'll be using DVDBoxOffice.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Why not just buy the console from here for £150 and the games from DVD Soon (at what works out at around £16-£17 per game).

£150 is great for the console considering you get free shipping, will have no import costs & will receive a free UMD of Spiderman2.

That puts the console & 2 games at around £185 without the £40 import, & post office charges that you will almost certainly incur if you buy one from the US or Canada yourself.

16. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really tempted to buy from importmadness but I read on these forums somewhere that someone had a bad experience with them. Have you used them before and are they reliable?

Thanks

17. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    gthom3

Where did you see that there would be 'no import costs', as there 10th policy is as follows.

(10) Export/Import Duties, Taxes, Brokerages Fees and Shipping

The user is responsible for all charges or taxes regarding the shipment of their item. By ordering or using any part of this site the user accepts these terms unconditionally. It is up to the user to determine if importing these goods is allowed / legal in their country as Importmadness.com, co.uk is not responsible for opened or seized shipments at the destination country.

Ricky

18. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah they are supposed to be under investigation from the UK VAT office but they are only pulling the same trick as other Canadian importers and marking down packages as £18 to avoid VAT.

all carry the risk of having it reapplied

just add 17.5% to your order and think yourself lucky if you dont have to pay it

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Sorry I thought that because they were a UK company they had imported them themselves and were then selling them on at the price shown. Do they still come from Canada or the US if you buy from these then?

20. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll buy one from Lik-sang. £145 psp standard pack + £31 Ridge racers + £20 delivery. Has anyone ordered a PSP from them? if so how fast is delivery and is it best to pay them with PayPal or visa?

cheers

21. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Lik-Sang are just fine and pretty quick, but you are almost certain to get charged customs fees...

So if you are prepared to pay that for one (£196), I'd get it from expansys. A standard PSP + RR from them is £217 delivered. Less than the above if you get hit for customs plus handling fees, you'll have it quicker and have a UK address to send it back to if it is broken. Remember customs fees are not just VAT, there is potentially import duty (a couple of percent) and the crazy fees the post office charge you for opening the parcel.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PSP
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=SONY_PSP_RIDGE_RACERS

If you want cheapest then go for the US deals.

22. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It could be worse, the Post Office charge a lot less than some couriers, then again at least couriers attempt a delivery to the address shown, not 5 miles away!

I quite like the fact that if you are on holiday the Post Office hold the customs charged parcel for 3 weeks, which is a service you also will not get from many couriers.

My only concern regarding who I buy from is the policy regarding dead pixels. According to a letter in T3(c) lik-sang may not be overly helpful even when 10 dead pixels are found. The writer appears to have suggested that it would have to be posted back to Japan then to Sony for examination. This may be general policy with may retailers, but I do worry that in the past I would have liked to make a point face to a retailer, this is no longer an option.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Well after doing the sums i've gone for the DVD Soon offer. Bought the PSP & Signed up for the iCard & used a voucher code. Then on a separate purchase I went for Ridge Racers & used another voucher code. All in all it comes to around £146 for the PSP, RR, 2 DVD's & the iCard membership. Even with customs that's still a bloody good deal - less than what the PSP will cost in the UK alone! :clap: I just hope that they ship them reasonably quick.

24. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you buy from expansys, and have more than 4 dead pixels you will get a new replacement and as soon as you get your sent to them you are at the top of the list for the next PSP shipmant.

25. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally took the plunge ( for a second time in a month :rolleyes: ) and bought a PSP standard pack from Expansys. It did say in stock on the webpage but on the order tracking page it says awaiting stock - 4 days, but I should still have it before the US launch :) . And as for the scum that conned me, I've informed PayPal which will "investigate" and have started court proceedings against him :devil: :devil: . When I've beat him in court I've been told I can inform the police since it was theft or deception or something :devil: .

26. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm you shouldnt need a civil judgement to get a criminal conviction its supposed to be the other way round.

(the shadowy character known as Dr_Loss/Ballofodd is a solicitor)

let me know if you need any legal advice and ill send you my client care letter, standard terms of course....

27. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    well,looks like we wont be getting the psp from dvdsoon anytime soon.....
    apparently,the pack they will receive first is the gretsky bundle (the more expensive one) and there'e also a rumour the other one wont be availabe at all in canada....
    dont know about you guys but this worries me.....
    i have a 5 year old waiting for one.....
    not sure if i'm allowed to post a link but the information is on dvdsoons forum page....
    sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news guys.
    paul
    :mad:

28. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh dear oh dear oh dear

some things are just too good to be true

(fingers crossed these guys fulfill their promises)

29. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You never know, DVDsoon might be one of these kind companies that will send you the better pack for no extra cost!

A friend had a free upgrade on his car because the model he ordered had been put out of production by the time they started building it!

30. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yep humble pie from me. My recent fears look like they have been confirmed I am very sad to say. Its looking doubtfull the value pack will be available in Canada and if it is will be months down the line.

Canada is obviously getting virtually no stock. One point to make. Its becomming clear that there is no where near enough stock even to satisfy the Jap and US markets at the moment.

Absolutely no chance of a pre summer release over here I would say.

Soon need to make a statement on this but with so many PSP value packs sold they may have dug a hole so deep they wont be able to get out of it. Noticed how the Gretsy bundle has shot up the page ranks in recent days ?

Obviously everyones switching orders but a Soon staff member has posted on another site that they are getting hardly any stock for the release next week.

What a mess :mad: :mad: :mad: Thought about canceling my PSP unit and getting a US one elsewhere (Will keep my film, accessory and games orders with them though as they are so cheap) But theres no stock so just have to hold my nerve I think.