1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy a PSP?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Oddbodd, May 1, 2005.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi all, first of all my apologies for asking a question that your probably sick of seeing but you know how it is :)
    I have narrowed it down to a US PSP simply because of the prices of the movies and games but I'm a bit worried about the dreaded tax/import duty/v.a.t. (blood suckers) that you might get hammered for!
    Should I just buy the machine, games, movies etc. from a internet based shop in the US and just take a chance that I don't get collared? (or do they always get you?)
    Should I buy from a UK source who have already imported it and obviously pay a bit more?
    If you order games and movies at a later date can you get stung for v.a.t. on them and if so does anyone know how much?
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

2. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  3. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well I've joined the PSP club :D
    I followed your advice crazzy and ordered the value pack with wipeout from movietyme on Monday and it arrived today :clap:
    I am only waiting for Hellboy from them now and some stuff I bought from ebay, I've managed to get two sandisc 512mb sticks for £80, a spare battery for £30 and a screen protector for £3 so I'm one happy bunny.
    I've only had a quick look at it so far and I must admit it is pretty damn awesome, the screen really is something special :eek:
    Well I'm off for a good blast now so laters and thanks again crazzy for the headsup :smashin:
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Your welcome. I bought a screen protector when I first got mine but never used it as I dont think it is very good.
    I buy my games from Movietyme and VideoGames Plus. Games I recomend you buy are ridge racers, Hot Shot golf game and Tiger Woods. I have Twisted Metal and Ape Escape but dont feel they are must have games.

If you like puzzle games have a look at Lumines. Smart Bomb or Mercuary. Hot Shots Golf and Tiger Woods are great games with great graphics. I have been playing Hot Shots the Jap version and it is simple to play but very addictive. Namco Museum looks good it has about 10 old skool games like asteroids though if you wait for the US version you get a few more games. The other game that looks good is Midnight Club 3.

I have ordered the Logitech case from VideoGame + for £12 http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?cPath=380_420&products_id=8933

5. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,157
    If you are going to buy it form America, buy it from a person not a shop and get them to mark it down as a toy gift for which you paid under £20, but your probably better off getting it in the UK not worth taking risks at customs.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Get it from me! I've got one for sale in the classifieds! :thumbsup: ;)

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I got mine from Hong Kong for 200euro inc with Ridge Racer, it was marked as a gift and I paid nothing extra. I want to play Region 2 UMD's so I got the JPN one.

I'd recommend getting it from a single person. eBay has a lot of UK sellers. Games wise, go for Hots Shots Golf, Ridge Racer, Tony Hawks or Lumines. FIFA sucks arse.

8. Robyn Kurzel

Robyn Kurzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I just followed advice from a couple people and bought the PSP from MOvietyme. It was mentioned that there was no import tax- plus, they do not charge for shipping within the UK. But then it says on their site that the console is sent from LA or Phili? How do they avoid import tax? Do they have distributors in the UK? Has anyone paid import tax from Movietyme? Thanks.

9. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a bill Robyn we shall refund it back to you.

10. SarahPooh

SarahPooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got mine from www.portablegamestore.com and it is a Japan one. It don't make a difference at all as it has switchable operating languages and there are no region locking for the games. The store is nice and it has a nice selection of japan games, which I think are better than the psp sports games that the US version is actually having only