Where to buy a PS3 in New York?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, :hiya:

As per title really, we're off to NY at the end of this month and I fancy grabbing myself a PS3 while I'm out there. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if there are any places that are better to try than others (i.e. is there actually a vast difference in price between High Street retailers in the USA?)

All advice welcome. :smashin:

Hi all, :hiya:

As per title really, we're off to NY at the end of this month and I fancy grabbing myself a PS3 while I'm out there. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if there are any places that are better to try than others (i.e. is there actually a vast difference in price between High Street retailers in the USA?)

All advice welcome. :smashin:

There's no real difference on base price, just bundles. Don't get scammed by the hundreds of little independant electronic shops dotted around the place.
There's a few Gamestops which are as good a place as any, one just across the road from Macys, in the Manhattan Mall on Avenue of the Americas, i also think there's one at Rockafella Plaza & there's a few on Broadway.

There's a giant TOYS'R'US in Time Square. Biggest in the world if I remember. Sure to find one there.

Is there really that much to be saved any more? A 40GB model from play.com is £289 with GT5.
I bought one from New York last year, a 60 Gb model for $600 + tax. I got it through customs without charge. But I sold it when it neared the end of the 12 month warranty and bought a UK 40GB from play.com for £279 with DMC4.
How much are they in the states now?

The prices througout NYC and USA in fact is USD 399, period. There is no discount, or variation, unless it is 2nd hand or returned etc
Do the maths before you buy.

Is there really that much to be saved any more? A 40GB model from play.com is £289 with GT5.
I bought one from New York last year, a 60 Gb model for $600 + tax. I got it through customs without charge. But I sold it when it neared the end of the 12 month warranty and bought a UK 40GB from play.com for £279 with DMC4.

I don't know how much they are currently, that's what I'm trying to establish. :)

I'm not getting a USA one for cost reasons, I just don't want a Region B Blu Ray player. :smashin:

$399 plus tax (?9%)
There are some around with a free spiderman 3 blu ray-but I couldn't find one

I opted for the red channel at heathrow but they let me off the duty! duty/vat would be 31% though!!

Have you considered some people may want a Region A Blu-Ray player so it's not really about saving money.:thumbsup:

Have you considered some people may want a Region A Blu-Ray player so it's not really about saving money.:thumbsup:

Yes Korum, I considered it long and hard!

No I didn't consider that at all when the original post stated "is there actually a vast difference in price between High Street retailers in the USA" I assumed (wrongly as it happens) that Azzin was after a cheaper PS3. And the fact that he didn't mention wanting region A!

Thanks for your comment though.

If you ship from Amazon to your hotel, there is no tax. If you buy across the delaware river, there is no tax. The free Spidy set is long gone.
If you buy after June 17th the 80G set will be back, IIRC it will be $499 USD.

$399 plus tax (?9%)
There are some around with a free spiderman 3 blu ray-but I couldn't find one

I opted for the red channel at heathrow but they let me off the duty! duty/vat would be 31% though!!

Amazon did not charge sales tax on my purchases from them to my hotel.
You can get tax free purchases when you CROSS the Delaware river from New Jersey / Phil. See a map for more info.

Is that USA residents only?

How do you mean? :confused:

Amazon did not charge sales tax on my purchases from them to my hotel.
You can get tax free purchases when you CROSS the Delaware river from New Jersey / Phil. See a map for more info.

So if I (even as a UK resident), log on to Amazon.com when I first arrive at my hotel, order a PS3 and set the delivery address as the hotel I will just get charged the $399?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-98007-Pl..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1210573064&sr=1-1

Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I was in New York in December and their is a Best Buy and Circuit City next to each other on 5th Avenue. We brought some games etc from their and they had some good bundles (was doing a Rock Band 360 bundle cheap at the time).

Basically from Central Park walk along 5th and you`ll reach it. It`s around 30-40 mins walk if I remember correctly.

If going from the Rock Centre then turn Right when going onto 5th and it`s 5 mins on the left. They are both together and you can`t miss them.

Times Square has the worlds biggest Toys R Us and theirs also a massive Virgin Megastore. Check out the prices online before you go as they all have websites.

Either that or order from Amazon and get it delivered to your hotel room :)

Hope that helps.

Keith

Of course, why couldn't you?

I didn't know/realise that Amazon etc would deliver to a different address for a resident of another country.

I know that they retailers do deliver to addresses different to your home address (I get stuff delivered to work all the time), but I didn't realise they would do it for someone that didn't live in that country.

Has anyone ever done this that can confirm it works?

I didn't know/realise that Amazon etc would deliver to a different address for a resident of another country.

I know that they retailers do deliver to addresses different to your home address (I get stuff delivered to work all the time), but I didn't realise they would do it for someone that didn't live in that country.

Yes I've ordered things from Amazon.com which were delivered to my hotel when I was in LA.

I've had loads of Amazon.co.jp stuff delivered to Japan, paid for with my UK credit card.

I always order from Amazon.com and get stuff shipped to a US address even though they have my UK address and cc info. No problems ever with electronic goods and they are very prompt with delivery so if you choose nexy day delivery it will be there next day! Also with the Amazon route no sales tax to pay even if sent to a NYC address so basically will cost you $399 plus postage :smashin:

Just remember it takes time to ship
So I avoid the free shipping and pay to get it delivered to my hotel. And check that the hotel allows this.

Most chains do, but it is best to ask.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom