1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy a docking station for my RU940?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by MacReady, Jun 19, 2004.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I never bought a docking station when I got my Pronto RU 940 a couple of years ago and now regret it as I can't seem to find anywhere that still sells them.

There are a few on Ebay but all seem to be as part of a package with the remote itself. Does anyone know anywhere that still sells the docking station for this model please?

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not much chance trade wise. Philips stopped making the 890/940 some while ago, so the chances of finding a "new" dock are pretty remote . . . if you'll pardon the pun.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Oh well...will have to just hope and pray that one turns up on Ebay eventually...and then make sure I win the auction ;)

Thanks David :)

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have emailed the guy selling that docking station to confirm it is the one for the Pronto 940 and he has emaile dback saying he is not sure but the box has the code sbcru891/05s on it. Can anyone confirm this is the correct one please?

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    The Pronto 890 is the 1MB version and the docking station was the 891, the Pronto 940 is the 2MB version and the station is the 941, that said as far as I'm aware they are identical from the outside so the docking stations should also be identical.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108

Hmmm...not too sure if to bid for it now :( I wonder if it is down to the battery pack that came with the docking station for each model ?

I dont want to pay for it to find it will only work on the 890.

On another note..I have just noticed you are in the same neck of the woods as me Zone :D

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Yes thats why I didn't give you a definate answer just in case you were built like a brick **** house, bought it, found out it didn't work and came looking for me :rotfl:
    Saw your car pictures in the "car polish" thread, nice car :thumbsup:
    Its not Athersley is it :laugh:

Back to the subject.
    AFAIK the 890 came out first so makes sense to call the station the 891, when they released the 940 they kept to the same external specs as the 890, so the docking station for either should fit both.

Why not buy rechargeable batteries and a charger thats what I did ;)

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    S'funny you should mention that :D We do actually live on Athersley North but are moving within the next couple of months to one of the many, many....many new homes that are springing up around Barnsley at the moment (when the Wife decides on one that she likes anyway :rolleyes: ) The pics of the car were taken at the back end of Carlton Industrial estate.

The batteries idea is one I may have to look at but I have to admit to being a bit sad and wanting the docking station not just for the sake of saving on batteries but also because it looks good with the Pronto sat on it :D I am a bit of a docking station nut and have my digi camera and mobile phone sat on them so would like the Pronto to be next in the line ;)

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Thought it seemed familiar, I live in Royston but the fiancé was fetched up there :D

It is a bit smarter I grant you, still convinced they are compatible with each other! Hopefully someone will be able to confirm it 100% for you, weekends are always quiet!

12. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, they are.

Having said that, I originally bought an 890 and was happily using it with the dock until an unfortunate happenstance whereby I broke the screen - picked it up, fumbled it and it fell face down on the corner of our coffee table.

Since the 890 was, by now, defunct I purchased a 940 as a replacement and continued to use in the same way (place it in the dock overnight) until I, that is, discovered the connector pins on both the remote and dock were burning up. Indeed it got so bad that the dock became useless and I had to resort to using "ordinary" alkaline batteries.

Needless to say I pursued and obtained replacements for both the remote and dock, but since I was by now happy enough to use alkaline batteries the dock became redundant. Oh and before you ask, I'm afraid I gave it to a friend.

Note: The above tale is nothing to do with incompatibility between the dock and 890/940, but has everything to do with pretty shoddy quality control at Philips.

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks David. :D

I have a horrible image of a Pronto impaled on the corner of a coffee table after your story...shudder

14. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Recently happened to my 940 - that I bought with the 940 docking station... you need to be very careful about placing the remote on the docking station...
    I managed to "doctor" the connecting pins so that it still works - but agree with your footnote vizslaraner