1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy 7.5m DVI - DVI cable??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kane D Williams, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone know where I can get a decent 7.5m DVI-DVI cable from for under £40?

I was going to get one from Lindy, as they seem well made and reasonably priced (£36 for 7.5m), but they will not have any in stock for until Feb according to their website!

2. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Make sure you know what you're ordering - there are various flavours of DVI cable - if you want one that also supports Analogue (eg for a Z2) you need to get a DVI-I cable.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Kane

I'd also be careful that setting yourself a price limit doesn't also mean you limit the picture quality that arrives at your projector.

I've sold a fair few BetterCables Display Magic DVI-D to DVI-D at 9.0m to customers who have tried lower quality cables without much success.

Best regards

Joe

PS We now also have HDMI to DVI-D at 1.0m and 5.0m and HDMI to HDMI due any day now.

4. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, I was going to try a Lindy, but they are out of stock of 7.5m till feb!

I may order a Ram one from the US? The Bettercables are just too expensive at the moment! I am willing to pay a max of £100 now, but that is it!!

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah i use a lindy, exellent cable, dual link. remember a dvi-d cable wiil plug into a dvi-i input.(as dvi-i is bith digital and analogue)

7. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As DVI has no error correction, I have decided to spend a bit more on a cable. I am going for a 7.5 or longer length and also a Dual Link to hopefully future proof my purchase?

I have seen this 9m cable by Cable Solutions (FV Series) on Ebay.com for $114 (£65.75), which seems pretty good when you read their info?

The alternatives are the Ram ones ( an AVS sponsor) that are $96.75 for 7.5m and $114 for 10m, although these are only Single Link, which although will do the job, they may not be as much use in the future? Then there are the BetterCables Display Majic 9m at $210 or Monster DVI400 20ft $189.

Has anyone ever used any Cable Solutions cables before?

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    This is interesting cos I've just got my replacement Z2 and the new one is exhibiting sparklies with my 7.5m DVI cable (the old one doesn't for some reason!). I've tried a shorter DVI cable and the sparklies disappear so looks like I need a better cable. Anyone else getting sparklies at 7.5m (black background e.g. Theatertek in stop mode shows it up well!).

Cheers
    Andy

9. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Andy,

Which cable are you using? Lindy? I know a couple of other members had sparklies with 7.5m Lindy cables with the Z2, although it works fine with other PJ's? I assume the Z2 is a bit picky regarding the 'strength' of the signal reaching it?

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Yeah Lindy, 7.5m cable. The weird thing is if I use my old Z2 (the one I'm having replaced) there don't seem to be any sparklies so it seems to be more sensitive than the new one. I need a cable that's gonna work asap cos I'm having it all installed at the weekend! This is an unexpected nightmare...

Cheers
    Andy

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Lindy is one of the better DVI cables, if you want to get rid of them go single channel better screened like 9m bettercables from Joe. :)

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Yeah, just got a quote for one, blimey they aint cheap are they! Is that what you're using? If I could try one with no commitment it would be nice, bit of an expensive gamble if it doesn't solve the problem! Also is it the PC or a standalone DVD player that's supposed to have the stronger DVI output? I'm sure I've read somewhere about these sorts of problems being solved when using a DVD player instead of a PC or visa versa? For the price of that DVI cable you could get a Yamakawa DVD player!

Cheers,
    Andy

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think they guarantee the 9m lead, outside these 'premium' leads anything over 5m is a gamble. Everyone love to post about how long they get DVI but >5m IS A SERIOUS GAMBLE. I know some one who has 3,5, 7.5 and 10m leads to test these things :blush:

I have a better cables 2m one, it does the bizz, just need a 9m one now...:), this side of HDMI it is the only 'realistic' way

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Isn't the Lindy described as a premium DVI cable? Looks like I've got no choice but to try one of these bettercables ones, I can try one out and if it doesn't work get a refund anyway so I might as well give it a go.

Cheers,
    Andy

15. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2p worth. I've been happy with the 7.5m Lindy cable feeding an Infocus 5700 with a Brainwave DVI DVD player.

I suspect the cable is better quality than the DVD player :laugh:

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Lindy is a fine cable, the better cable is better again, most others are much worse, try a 'generic' one and you will see what I mean :)

17. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  18. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Also found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32837&item=3064777914

They make this statement:

Fully complies with the DVI (Digital Visual Interface) standard of the DDWG ( Digital Display Working Group), including the TMDS (Transition Minimized Differential Signalling) specifications! Not many cables can say that!

Is it true that not many other cables can make this claim and is the claim such a big deal???

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is called the DVI standard, it means it reaches 5m!

20. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Well, I've tried a 9m bettercables display magic DVI cable today (£170 worth!) and I get 'no signal', no picture whatsoever. I've tried it on 2 Z2s with the same result. Replace the bettercables one with a 7.5m Lindy and I get a picture (with the odd sparklie). Looks like either a) The Z2 is very picky when it comes to DVI signal strength b) My radeon 9800 pro DVI output is not very strong. I wonder if using a standalone DVD player with DVI out would get rid of the sparklies using the 7.5m lindy cable...
    Bit of a dilemma now, having it all installed this weekend!

Andy.

21. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It really seems like the Z2 is very fussy with DVI and doesn't work as well with long lengths as other PJ's?

I've just ordered the 10m one from PCCables, simply as the shipping is only $9 as opposed to $23 quoted by Cable Solutions and I though if I have to return it, I only waste $18 rather than $46! Still, I'd then have to take the risk on another one so...

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works, but I am doubtful after hearing that probably the most expensive DVI cables out there (BetterCables) didn't work!

22. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Well it will be interesting to hear if your cable does work, if it does either the bettercables cable was faulty or my Z2 is! By the way, when r u expecting your Yamakawa DVD player?

Cheers,
    Andy.

23. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yamakawa should be here any day? Not sure if Xmas post is slowing things down? I'll be gutted if the cable doesn't work, as I'll have to wait another week or two to try another cable that again may not work, with the PJ just sitting there!

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    It's a lottery that's for sure. The problem is I'm getting everything installed this weekend including running cables in the walls/ceiling so I have to just bite the bullet and get one installed. I'm going for the Lindy 7.5m, it seems to be fine with my original Z2 (which I thought was faulty but probably isn't) so I'll keep that combination. Good luck with yours, I'll be very interested to hear how the Yamakawa is! I think with a standalone DVD player you may have more luck with the longer cables anyway.

Cheers,
    Andy.

25. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    RGB Smarthome do DVI cables up to 75 feet long.
    I have not tried long lengths such as this but my rep, Matt Clifford says they work very well. They have a very high silver content.

26. barneypooch

barneypooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And totally perfect results here, too, with the 7.5m Lindy cable, feeding a Marantz S3 from a Brainwave 880 DVD player.
    £27.50 and I'm sure they'd take it back if it didn't work with your setup. OTOH, they must work most of the time, methinks, or they'd stop selling them.

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello all

Juts a quick update on the BetterCables Display Magic DVI cable zAndy1 tried with his Z2 - I now have the cable installed between the R04 Media Box and the Plasma Screen on a Pioneer PDP-504HDE and no problems.

I'll try and get a Z2 ASAP to test it with the Display Magic cables.

Best regards

Joe

28. jayenjay

jayenjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Like others, I have also tried the 7.5m Lindy DVI cable with my Z2 which resulted in a lot of sparklies, dark areas would have green bleeding, a Belkin pro series cable cured it completly (but is too short) so it must be the Lindy cable.

Has anyone gotten a 7.5m or longer DVI cable to work correctly with the Z2?

Jesper

29. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Yes I have. With a Radeon 9600 graphics card I have no sparklies at all with a 7.5m Lindy cable. Had sparklies with a 9800 pro card though

Cheers,
    Andy.

30. jayenjay

jayenjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting since I have a Radeon 9800 card, didn't think that the card was a factor in this issue, so my question should be re-phrased to whether anyone with a Z2 AND a Radeon 9800 card has a 7.5m+ DVI cable working correctly.

Jesper