Where to best upscale ? DVD player or AVR ?

clubsport911

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. A seemingly simple question. :confused:

My Sony 570 upscales to "HD".
Likewise, my Onkyo 608 upscales (using Faroujda DCDi Cinema... better ?)

So, we have SD content coming out of the DVD player (now upscaled) going into the AVR and potentially being upscaled again.

Or does it ?

Upon questioning, Onkyo suggest that to avoid any digital artifacts, you should only upscale in one place. I can see the sense in this, but perhaps the more experienced (and technically aware) out there have some other evidence ?

Where is it best to upscale ?
DVD player (source)
AVR (closer to the output)

So, do these technologies compete or co-operate ?

How can I turn off upscaling on the DVD player to ensure that all the upscaling is done in the AVR ?

Now, to Blue Ray.
What does the AVR do when presented with HD content ? Ignore it ? Improve it ? Does the upscaling technology recognise that there is nothing to be done and pass it straight through to my (native 1080p) Projector ?

I wonder why this seemingly obvious question has not raised itself more. (if It has, I cannot seem to find it). Many thanks for your help - much appreciated !

With your screen being native 1080p then Im assuming upscaling on either device would be set to 1080p.

In this case , if the DVD player is set to 1080p , then the AVR wont touch the signal , as far as its concerned there would be nothing to do as the incoming signal is already 1080p.

So to check which one is best , Start by setting the DVD player to 1080p , then set it to SD , with it set to SD only the receiver is doing the upscaling.

You then pick which one is best to your eyes.

Your only in danger of multiple scaling if you set each item to a different resolution and if the final screen is not native to either of those resolutions.

For example , DVD player to 720p , Receiver to 1080p , then TV to 1366 x 768 , and so on.

With a native 1080p screen , you shouldnt have that problem.

Different scaling chipsets have very different abilities , so there is quite likely to be a large difference between them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom