Where to best place a sub

Hear&SeeNoEvil

Standard Member
Ok, so here's a question. I am just about to purchase a [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]MORDAUNT SHORT AVANT 309i but i do not have space either behind or next to my TV for it. The only space I have is to the left hand side of the sofa (on the opposite wall from the corner the TV is in.

I've read that subs are non directional, but is this really true? Will I not find that the base is weighted to the left rear?

I have a
[/FONT]
Yamaha DSPAX761 [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]amp. Will this sub be a good match for it too?

Help and advise would be much appreciated!

:D
P.S. Any help persuading the missus that spending money on a sub would be much appreciated too!

;)
[/FONT]

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Ok, so here's a question. I am just about to purchase a MORDAUNT SHORT AVANT 309i but i do not have space either behind or next to my TV for it. The only space I have is to the left hand side of the sofa (on the opposite wall from the corner the TV is in.
Sometimes you just have to live with the hand you're dealt.

I've read that subs are non directional, but is this really true? Will I not find that the base is weighted to the left rear?
Generally speaking yes, but if you cross them over too high or play them loud enough to generate significant distortion, then the source of bass will become audibly apparent. There's no way to really know until you try it as the subs interaction with the room can also generate effects that can have a bearing.

I have a Yamaha DSPAX761 amp. Will this sub be a good match for it too?
There will be no problems at all.

P.S. Any help persuading the missus that spending money on a sub would be much appreciated too! ;)
Tell her it's a sub or she goes. Simple.

Russell

PS. Leave the fonts alone.;)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom