Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ironmalk, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Ironmalk

Ironmalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I was hoping for some advice on home cinema purchase and considerations. I am completely new to this and some general advice would be greatly appreciated. In my new house I intend to have a dedicated movie/gaming/beerhole mancave :) I have done a little bit of research but would like to hear from people who have actually done this.

1. I am familiar with acoustic room treatment from building a small recording studio. What are the major considerations when applying acoustic room treatment for the purposes of home cinema? I will be soundproofing as much as possible, adding bass traps and acoustic foams. I will be 'blacking out' the room for viewing.

2. I almost certainly will be purchasing a motorised screen. Will any model do and is all 'screen material' the same? I havent worked out the dimensions yet as the room size has not been finalised (ie the wife aint told me which room I can use yet :) )

3. Is there a formula for calculating how big the screen should be with regards to seating distance?

4. DLP or LCD projector? I read somewhere that the 3 chip DLP's no longer put out the rainbow effect...Im leaning this way as opposed to LCD for that very purpose and to avoid the 'screen door' effect on LCD.

5. Gear - My budget is approximately £3000 for screen, projector, blu ray, 5.1 speaker system, 5.1 amp receiver. I am not interested in 3D. The furniture and construction (minimal construction btw) will be separate from the 3k budget. The problem is I have looked at so many projectors and 5.1 systems that I am now officially lost and bogged down with choices. What is good, what is bad? For the purposes of home cinema I dont know.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give. I could carry on researching and researching but I have reached an impasse. Wish I knew about this forum before I burnt myself out trying to research on my own eh.

Many thanks,

Ironmalk

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...al-help/1802637-small-home-cinema-advice.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...-help/1802458-new-house-new-home-theatre.html

There is a lot to cover in your post and really you would be better talking to someone directly if possible, where abouts in the country are you?

Firstly re room acoustic treatments don't bother, get an amp with decent room eq and it will do that for you, an Onkyo 818 @ £599 (fast disappearing off the shelves as they have just been discontinued) is an outstanding bargain and has Audyssey XT32 which is a boon to a/v eq. By all means do soundproofing but not acoustic foams, you don't want to deaden the room with a/v you want reflected sound to achieve a good all round soundstage.

If the room is a dedicated room forget drop down screens, make your own fixed screen from a sheet of mdf for around £50, better and cheaper than most cheap £100-500 screens.

DLP/LCD one has the possibility of seeing rainbows the other gets dust blobs, for £800-£1k there are a few DLP/LCD available, with 1080p screendoor is not a problem these days.By the way 3 chip DLP pj's cost £20k+ so way out of your budget.

A 100" diagonal screen is about the optimal size (bigger is better though if you can) and with 1080p material (bluray's) a seating distance of 8-12ft is about right for this size screen.

Your budget of £3k is a bit tight for a really good system but if you choose wisely and maybe go secomd hand for the speakers & subwoofer you could do it.

PJ: Opoma DLP single chip HD131X £650 approx, LCD Epson TW3200 £900 approx
    Screen DIY £50
    AVR Onkyo 818 £600
    Subwoofer BK XXLS400 £450 new
    Bluray Player £100 or PS3 £200

Speakers: I would be looking at some used MK satellite speakers a 5 speaker set which you should be able to find for between £500-900 in the classifieds these new would have cost £2k+.

That's just a possible solution, if you want to talk things over pm me for my phone number and I will be happy to talk you through alternatives. I am not a dealer just an enthusiast and am not looking to sell you anything.:)

Cheers

Keith

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Ironmalk

Ironmalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Keith. Much appreciated.