1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Kootuu, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,

Already searched for my problem, can't find anything that answers everything.

Just about to purchase my first home cinema set up:

5 x Kef KHT 2005 MK1 inc Sub
    Sony STR-DB940 Receiver

Now, I've heard good things about the QED Silver Anniversary but at £5.50 per metre it's quite a whack on my wallet, I've also heard good things about the Cable Talk 3.1 at £2.50 per metre.

Any idea where I can buy the Cable Talk 3.1? I've looked on hificables.co.uk and cable-shop.co.uk and I think only cable-shop.co.uk have it, just wondering where everyone buys their cables?

Also the picture of the Talk 3.1 cable on cable-shop.co.uk shows the wires underneath the plastic cover, I've seen some cables with terminators? Is that what they are? Just looks neater to me, any idea if the Talk 3.1 comes with these?

Also, cables for the sub, should I used a standard phono cable or buy a special one?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Avland sell Cable Talk 3.1 at £2.50 per meter here

Most cables come unterminated and you can add your own if required. Banana or spade plugs don't add anything to the the sound quality but can make life a bit easier if you are constantly plugging and unplugging speakers.

It isn't worth using anything more than the standard quality sub cable at about £10 for 3 metres but if you were to buy a sub cable from Mark Grant in the Powerbuy forum at twice that price it would mean that you would never have to buy another cable even if you upgraded to an SVS PB2-Ultra

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The QED is certainly worth considering,and as for sub cables...I really wouldn't bother with a dedicated sub cable,as long as your interconnects are well away from mains leads....I use a good quality standard phono interconnect(XLO Reference 2) for mine...unshielded and no problems with interference or mains induced hum etc.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Excellent, many thanks for your help.

Where are the Banana/Spade plugs avaliable?

Also, I haven't seen how the cables plug into a receiver but I remember on my old hifi, I had these red and black inputs that I had to twist to open the slot where I could insert the speaker cable, without terminators, I take it is similar to this? It was like threading a needle, so I assume with these plugs it makes it easier to plug in?

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    The only problem with CableTalk 3.1 is that its quite a big cable and will stick out like a sore thumb connected to Kef eggs !!

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you contact a cable talk dealler they can buy lengths pre terminated by cable talk with their own plugs (choice of plug qualities) but they would take a week at least to be done.

7. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What are the dimensions of the CableTalk 3.1?