where should my hard earned pennies go?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lex, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking to buy my first DVD-Recorder… I have never even used a DVD-Recorder before, and I am trying to research all my options but I am just getting confused… I am really short on spare time at the moment and I am hoping to pick one up in the next few days, so I am looking for some advice/recommendations :smashin:

I don’t need a top of the range model – my needs are fairly simple – I just want to archive some old VHS tapes, transfer footage from mini-dv, and record TV off of Sky (and maybe back-up some of my DVD collection).

Obviously I want to pay as little as possible, but I am wary of the really cheap Yamada/Goodmans/LG type brands… So can I get something decent for around £200? If so does anyone have any recommendations…
    I have looked at the Philips DVDR70 (£150 from Richer Sounds) but a few people are warning of problems with it… What else should I be considering?

Really appreciate any advice – I normally enjoy researching these things, but like I said time is an issue at the mo and I am totally inexperienced with DVD-Recorders…

Thanks

2. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Philips DVDR70 is good i have one good recordings well worth money
    good for the price

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks get1a2get1a2,

Have you tried copying anything from VHS with it? I have heard that the sound goes out of sync?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes you can get decent models for £200 but you need to decide what you want to achieve. You will struggle to get a decent model with iLink at that price - certainly the Philips DVDR70 has no iLink socket!

From the VHS perspective you should be aware that the cheaper models: the Philips, Yamada, Mico, Daewoo, Thompson, LiteOn range are all without Time Base Correctors. Obviously if you pay around £200 for a model with a TBC your not going to get anything fantastic but that doesn't mean that the difference isn't profound when recording from old sources. Models from JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba all have TBCs of somekind or another and so are ideal for recording from VHS. All models will record to DVD-R or DVD+R disks that will play in most DVD players. You should also ensure that the model you get uses a Flexible Record/Fit to Disk option (virtually all do bar Philips, Yamada etc)

With regard to recording from a DV camera then you clearly need iLink. So consider a choice from these:
    - JVC DRM10 DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R
    - Panasonic E65 DVD-RAM, DVD-R
    - Pioneer 320 DVD-RW, DVD-R
    - Philips DVDR75 DVD+RW, DVD+R (although note TBC restriction)
    - Toshiba DR1 DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R

The Sky issue is what will decide precisely what DVD recorder to get. You need to decide if you want you day to day recordings that you make on re-writeable media to play on other DVD players.

If the answer is no go for the Panasonic E65 as this allows you to Pause Live TV, has RGB input, progressive output, DVD-Audio etc. It is the best all round DVD Recorder from those listed above (available from around £270).

If you do want your recordings to play on other DVD players then consider the Pioneer 320 as this allows you to record to DVD-RW Video mode that plays on anything. It lacks progressive scan (so no Sky PS!) but it does have VR mode recording as well so you still get all the features people associate with Digital Recording (Timeslip etc).

If you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players you really need to consider a HDD/DVDR combo - although it means doubling your budget. Frankly though 90% of 'high end' users on this board have gone down that route: the Toshiba RDXS32 is the all-round best model at the moment with the Panasonic E85 a close second. I strongly urge you to consider such a unit. A Philips model will allow very limited editting on disk whilst remaining compatible but generally speaking it's a poor substitute that not that many are happy with - if you look at users like Phelings (and me for that matter) we made the jump from Philips to Panasonic/Pioneer and haven't looked back. Whilst the same can be said about users who have gone from a standalone to HDD/DVDR combos.

Ultimately though Lex your a moderator on this forum - which largely does focus on the higher end users and those seeking to get there - so really try and stretch the budget to the Toshiba RDXS32 or Panasonic E85 as these really do bring MANY extra benefits over a standalone: namely massive capacity, timeslip, live pause, editting, compatibility etc.

As for 'backing up' your DVDs - well I don't want to be moderated ;) - but you can get cabling to enabling you to do this. Any DVD recorder will refuse to do it 'as is'. Generally though the PC DVD burner route is significantly better for 'backing up'.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Rasczak :smashin: I am gonna read through what you said in more detail and check out some of the models you listed...

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No problem! Always happy to help.

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh well it looks like my credit card is going to take another bashing! I blame you Rasczak! :p :D

After careful research I have decided that my best bet is probably to go for the Toshiba RDXS32 - it may be twice the price of a basic recorder, but I know that if I get a cheap model I will be regretting it for the next year! Besides which the HDD is too good a feature not to have...

Does anyone know of any deals around for the RDXS32 at the moment? - the best I can find is about £395 for a multi-region.

Thanks.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I don't think you'll be disappointed Lex! A HDD/DVDR combo will serve you well for many years :smashin:

9. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good choice, I am more than happy with my RD-XS32.
    The more I use it the better it seems!