1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where R the HD Demo's on DVD?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jonathan James, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the DLP demo DVD that's currently being used on the new Samsung and Segam DLP's in the shops?

I've tried the usual searches etc without luck.

I don't even have the name of the demo disc - anyone?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

JJ

2. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    the clips i have seen playing on the sagum in my local comet are just downloaded from

http://www.wmvhd.com/

hope this helps

3. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but I'm looking for ready made DVD versions of this type of high definition material. My computer is an old lap top and I don't have access to a DVD burner.

Out of interest have you tried downloading and burning to DVD from the WMVHD site? How did it work and did you get HD playback?

Cheers,

JJ

4. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    well, i have downloaded them, look great on my p4 pc. not had a chance to burn them on2 dvd yet but i will as soon as my tv arrives within the next few weeks.

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Sorry Mate, but WMV-HD files will not run on an 'old lap-top', whether they're on DVD or not. Serious processing muscle is need to display these files. The minimum recommended specs are given on the Microsoft Windows Media site.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Jonathan, you have got the wrong end of the stick on a few points here

1. The in-store Sagem demos are using a PC playing back HD material. Not a DVD player
    2. There are no HD DVD players currently (in the UK at least)
    3. The demos are of films in WMV-HD format, which is specific to PC playback.
    4. You CAN buy DVD's containing this material however, but they must be played back on a PC, not a DVD player (as current ones would be irrelevant re HD - see 2)

See Amazon to buy the DVDs

or Microsoft's content showcase of the actual HD clips you will see in the Sagem Demo.

Unfortunately, you need a pretty powerful PC to show them

7. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for your replies guys but I'm afraid I wasn't clear with what I was looking for. I must try harder.

I'm not talking Windows Media here.

I'm looking for DVD based materials for DVD playback. The demo that interested me was a HD presentation produced by DLP to showboat their technology. It's a retail tool for the salesman and it was definitely DVD based progressive scan 1080.

I'm going back to the shop in the morning to get further details and then I'll post any developments later.

I think if I can get the title of the presentation I might get a little closer. It might be that I have to wait until the material is circulated a bit wider.

Cheers,

JJ

8. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    good luck, usually the guys in these so called big retail shops dont know their elbow from their u know what :)

training they are given is non-existant

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Unless I am missing something here, as per earlier note if it is meant to be genuine HD content then what DVD player could play that back, apart from a PC?

So whether you can get it on a DVD is a mute point. All the other stuff referred to above is available on DVD anyway- the point is it would require a more powerful PC than you have already said you have, and none of them play in a stand alone DVD player, only one in a PC.

Just because they are distributing it to dealers on a DVD doesn't mean it will work in a stand-alone DVD player - again all the WMV-HD stuff is distributed on DVD, but only works in a PC.

If it isn't actually HD material of course, just a well produced SD disk then of course it should work - but then I am not sure what the purpose is of that ...

10. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One thing you've got to watch is that besides region encoding, some of these (certainly T2) need to connect to the internet to download a license, and if you don't have a US or Canadian IP address it won't play.

Oh, and they have a list of public proxy servers so these don't work unless you can find one that they don't know about.

My PC is a 2.4ghz CPU, with a beefy video card, but it still stutters a bit on the demos.

If you are serious about getting your hands on some HD content, then I can heartily recommend buying a JVCHD4000 D-VHS machine from Ebay.

Mine cost me about £220 + £90 for the delivery + £60 VAT + £29 for the step down transformer.

Pre-recorded D-Theater tapes look amazing, though they tend to cost about $30-$40.

Alternatively, for about £600 you can get a satellite box + subscription to a pan european HD channel called 1080tv or something like that. No films or anything like that though, just language neutral stuff such as Operas, Rock Concerts, Scenery and so on.

A lot of money either way, but if like me you can't wait for Sky HD next year then they are probably the best options.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Try this link for hi def dvd's from germany. They have english 5.1 audio track and take around 4 days to arrive. I have only bought 2 so far (Underworld, We were soilders). They are recorded in WMV.

http://esd.e-sonopress.com/product....22403&random=7455e08d54963852ffa572399b09e5b9

They also have a Hi def sampler dvd which may be the dvd you are after, just scroll down to the bottom of the page. I hope this has been of some help.

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I have just ordered both tomb raiders, gangs of new york and a tommy lee jones film.

:)

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    just upgraded today to a 3.0mhz machine. Passed the WMV-HD test on microsoft with flying colours - a couple of notches above that required for 1080

14. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Do you suppose this test evaluates your monitor as part of the assessment?

I've got an Athlon 64 3000+, 1024 RAM and a 128MB 6600GT graphics card, but the assessment puts me slightly below the requirements of 1080.

Could this be because I've got an old CRT monitor that doesn't display upper resolutions, or if it's part of my PC spec then what area is letting me down?

15. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Jonathan,

Its worth checking out Ebay from time to time under a WMVHD search. All of the WMVHD source materials are on there, plus more recently film titles such as Terminator 2 Extreme edition, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, plus a few others. I got a few of these for about three euros.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    desk, as long as you can display 1280x720 (normally widescreen) or 1280 x 1024 you will be ok crt monitors usualy have a higher resolution than lcd screens.

Try this link and run the test.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

It will tell you everything you need to know.

17. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Good question. I am not sure.
    But I am using a 19" TFT at 1280x1024

Full spec wise, the PC is
    Dell Dimension 5000 3.0ghz P4
    1024mb RAM
    ATI X300SE 128mb graphics

This has passed any of the 1080 tests - showing at a notch above the requirement on their graph that shows at the end.

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Although i'm a little late on this reply, i've been into Comet at Thurrock Lakeside today to look at the Tosh DLP, although i'm allready an owner, i wanted to make sure that the set on display also had 'dead pixels' - as i have two, and the set on display had about 4 in the top left quarter of the screen - which put me at ease. Anyway, to get to the point, when i arrived i saw the set was displaying high definition clips, however although these were high definition clips, they were not true high definition, as they were only being played by a Samsung Progressive DVD Player via Scart - not even HDMI!

So basically, there just recorded HD film clips, a bit like recording Spiderman 2 from a DVD disc onto a VHS tape, and then playing it back to the TV via a VHS player, although its recorded from a DVD its not really DVD quality, its still only VHS - if you get my drift.

19. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Thanks for the tip, Razor.

I actually tried downloading some 1080 sample movies from the WMV-HD web-site today. While my monitor isn't capable of displaying that high a resolution the clips played with perfect sound and vision, and no sign of any stuttering or processing problems.

I would have thought that this means my machine can handle 1080? I wondered if there might have been some on-the-fly downconverting of the resolution to something my monitor could handle. But even if that was the case wouldn't it have required even more processing power than is needed just to play the clips straight at 1080?

So unless the WMV-HD is easier on processing power than other HD video formats it seems to me that I'm pretty much future-proofed. I think?

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Your specs are fine for HD material. 3 ghz chip is fine, 1 gig of memory is more than you need and you have a geforce 6600gt which has pure video (HD).

What model of monitor/size have you got and what is the maxium resolution?

21. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    It's an ancient 17" Adi ProVista... and I have to confess I don't know what the max resolution is. To be honest, though, I'm not really fussed about being able to display HD material on it... it's only a stop-gap until I can find an affordable TFT with DVI input.

I really just wanted to check that the PC spec I had would be adequate to output the highest possible HD resolution to an eventual big-screen HD-compatible display... such as a DLP projector or rear-projector TV.

As there isn't a huge amount of HD material at the moment I'm holding off to see what happens to the prices of 3-chip DLP systems, and to see if affordable 1080p versions arrive on the market.

It's good to know that my current PC set-up will be able to do such a display justice when I eventually get one, so very many thanks for the help and the reassurance. :smashin:

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I think you'll be waiting for a good 2-3 years before the 3 chip DLP systems will be affordable they retail now at around £20000 and up.

Your right about the amount of HD material been thin on the ground but I see to be finding more titles as the weeks go past. Wait untill the end of the year and there should be over 80 major films beign released in HD. You can also download a few from edonkey. I have the matrix 2, attack of the clones, terminator 3 etc.....

To find your max resolution right click on your desktop and go to properties.Then click on settings and it will have a slider bar with all the resolutions your monitor can handle. The highest set of numbers shown is your max resolution. ;)

23. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow am really confused here. MS Website says that High Def is 720p and above..... So if you have a display (PJ or other screen) which has a native resolution of x720 or more, then surely if you are feeding a 720p and above signal to it, then you are playing HD material.

The Samsung players, HD745, HD935 and HD945 have the name HD, for high definition I assume, although this could be a marketing gimmic. However I downloaded WMHD 720p material in WMV format, used the VSO program to convert from WMV to DVD format and then played it on my HD935.

Indeed I don't think there are any 1080p affordable displays or DVD players capable of doing that, but is 720P not High Def?

24. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    The source material itself must be HD. It is the source that must be 720p to qualify the whole process as HD, not just the display.
    It doesn't matter what the resolution of the monitor might be, or the capabilities of the DVD player to upscale source material, you cannot extract more detail from SD material than is already in it.
    All the Samsung players are doing is upscaling SD material so that it looks smoother on a HD display - e.g. smoothing out jagged edges.
    Whereas genuine HD source material will not only look smooth, but more detailed too.

WHen you converted the WMV files to DVD you reduced the detail - you turned HD into SD - there is no way you could have preserved the HD detail.

25. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    loz unless i am being thick im sure you can play hd-dvd from dvd player if you have hdmi capabilities and they are available in the uk ....i bought one yesterday from panasonic model no.dvd-s97 supports hdmi 720-1125 so now just looking for hd dvd's to play lol will check Razors link out
    Sheep

26. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    p.s it cost £299

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Sheep unless the dvd playter is WMV compatable then unfortunately it wont play Hi-Def material. It will only upscale a normal dvd to display on a high def display. Basically if you have a hd display this upscales the image for you. All the dvd player is doing is upscalling the image to 720p or 1080i therefore the display doesnt have to do any work. It just displays what its given. I beleive denon support WMV as do a few other dvd manufactures. The bast way to get HD material is through a pc. As it can do WMV (9 &10) and Divx HD.

I hope that has made a bit more sense. If not dop me a pivate message. :)

28. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    No, your'e not being thick.
    But you are missunderstanding the important different between having HD content, and a player that outputs a HD signal (plus the HD display)

The S97 ONLY plays back normal SD material.
    It upscales this to output a HD signal - but there is no more detail in the image than the SD source - it just looks smoother on a big display.

The S97 cannot play back HD material. The only way you play HD material at present is from a high powered PC, or very, very, expensive DVD players like the Denon 5910