1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where next, YUV component, VGA or Svideo?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cheddies, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    Long time reader, recent registerer and first time poster!, looking for a few pointers!.
    I realise most of this has been asked before but, please indulge me as i cant quite find what i am looking for through searching!
    OK, I have a sanyo Z1.... and here is my problem.
    I have an Xbox (rgb scart output) I have a Philips Dvd player (also rgb output) a random freeview box (regular scart not rgb) all hooked up at the moment to a three to one (rgb enabled) scart switching box and into my tv (i have to turn rgb off to watch the freeview, thats how i know its not rgb enabled).
    Now
    as a temporary mesure i have my projector plugged into the composite output on my scart switcher. it works, but i know it could work better because composite is not utilising rgb.. and is generally pants.

Now, here is where you guys come in. Do i:
    a) get an (rgb)scart-component video converter box (output from the switch) and run the xbox and dvd through that and into the projector (with the freeview still going through composite.. i am not fussed about the picture quality of this) if so where can i get one of these and how much am i looking at (I found a couple at £100+, just wondering if this is the price or if i am looking in thewrong place)
    b) get an (rgb)scart - vga box (which i beleve will do interlacing and change the resolution? (correct me if i am wrong)) and do the same as above, hooking the vga into the projector for the xbox and the dvd anc composite for the freeview (now i have found these boxes ranging from £39 for one for an xbox off a console site to again £100+.. help!)
    or finally
    C) do it all through Svideo (i do not know the ogistics of this, except it will probably be cheaper.
    D) something comepletely diferent you fool, none of your three other ideas will work

Thanks in advance for your time helping me out
    Eddie

-edit- forgot to ask - will running my xbox through a vga converter and into my projector increse/reduce quality?... same question with component really, though as far as i am aware only a vga box will boost the resolution.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Hi

You don't need to do any of the things you suggested as the Z1 can take an RGB SCART signal directly into its VGA connector.

All you need is a correctly wired cable which you can either make up or buy from Keene.

I would suggeest that you replace the freeview box with one that can output RGB as composite looks dreadful on a projector.

Steve

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Unless your XBOX is chipped, you won't get any benefit from the higher resolutions.

If it is chipped, then you can use the "Official Hi-Def Pack". This would then plug into the component video input on your Z1.

You will get you progressive scan (480P) on almost all games, and 720P and 1080i on a handful of games.

4. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!
    thats a great help, think i will look into buying (or making) an rgb-vga lead

5. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Wowwwwwwww

I was just about to give in to the fact that I need to buy an RGB - componant converter for £150:) I have a very similar setup to Eddie except I've got sky digibox and a Toshiba mt200. I need to see if it can do scart to vga as well (at work now:)). Where does this come on the quality scale and gas it any drawbacks??? Anyone know any answers here???

Dave:)

6. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i ordered a "sCART TO 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (WIRED RGBs FOR SANYO Z1); Ref : SBB95S" yesterday... gimmie a couple of days and I will tell you the improvement over composite (which i hope will be great, as the difference even on my TV between rgb and non rgb scart is HOOJ!)
    so bear with me :)

7. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow that was fast
    got the cable today
    just plugged t in and it works . (after working out i had to set the projector to rgb scart instrad of rgb) waiting till the sun goes down to check the difference in PQ as i have no blackout blinds yet and (sods law) after 2 weeks of no sun its a bright sunny day.

8. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0