Question Where next with Q Acoustics Concept(s)

Onlythesound

Not sure if this is a true question but here goes: As a great fan of the Q Acoustics Concept 20s (I’ve owned 2 pairs, so they must be doing something right) I can’t help wondering where QA will go next with their more affordable adventures into creative solutions for better sound. The Concept 20 and 40 models, whilst not meeting approval by everyone, certainly did something different and the company liked it enough to carry it forward to the C500 which got a Reference status award here. But the latter 2 models are quite long in the tooth now and can be had heavily discounted across many shopping sites at the moment.

Does anyone know or have an inkling where QA are likely to go next with Gelcore etc. Do we think they see the 3010i, 3020i & 3030i series as sufficient to push business forward or will we get a ‘ Gelcore mark 2’ series of affordable speakers to titillate our sonic tastebuds soon?

password1

Well the 3000i range are still popular so I won't be surprised if they continue with the range for at least another year.

It looks like the active 200 and 400 might be the new trend with lots of different connectivity options.

My opinion is that the concept 20 and 40 range are underpriced for where they sit.

I see the concept 20/40 sit between the 3000i range and concept 300/500 but a lot closer priced to the 3000i speakers.

If QA launch replacements for the concept 20/40, then that may draw sales away from the 300/500 because concept 20/40 replacements would need to be an improvement in sound quality. Improving the 20/40 might make their replacements too close to the sound quality of the 300/500.

I think concept 20/40 replacements would need to command a huge jump in price.

thepilot

Would like to see the following:

Centre speaker cable of carrying the C300/C500 when used in a HT environment (i.e. a new Concept speaker)

A new range that sits between the 3000i and the Concept range.
i.e. a new 4000 or 5000 series - that sits in the region of the KEF R or the Dali Optikon series of speakers to bridge the gap of the 3000i series and the Concept.

Agree with @password1 as far as the Concept 20/40 being underpriced though many have and will continue to take advantage of the low priced speakers. You'd expect a speaker of this age to be timing out soon but everywhere I know still has stock.

If they want to continue to play in the HT market - the 7000i series could do with a revamp, and some ATMOS upfiring speakers to compete with the Monitor Audio Bronze AMS would be welcome. The others I know are KEF which start to broach on pricey.

Subwoofers - something ported. I am not a huge fan of the Q B12 having heard my dads many a time. I feel for a 12" sub, it should carry a lot better than it actually does.

Onlythesound

On another thread there was a discussion about the 300s vs the 500s and I guess the former are what I aspire to (in my not too distant future! Not sure about those stands tho! ) but I agree, the C20 and C40 range replacement would need to come in at the 5-600 and 12 - 1500 range respectively. The 3000s clearly seem to be doing well so I can see further iterations in that price bracket. It’s interesting to see that they’ve discontinued all of their soundbars too. Is the Jury still out on the new active 200/400 range I wonder?
Anyone out there from Q Acoustics able to let in on the company’s plans? 🤔

bogart99

£220 for a pair of Concept 20s must make them one of the few times the word bargain is justified. Good looks combined with an excellent performance means that QA have their work cut out to come up with a replacement at around the same price range, if in fact they feel they need to.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Not sure if this is a true question but here goes: As a great fan of the Q Acoustics Concept 20s (I’ve owned 2 pairs, so they must be doing something right) I can’t help wondering where QA will go next with their more affordable adventures into creative solutions for better sound. The Concept 20 and 40 models, whilst not meeting approval by everyone, certainly did something different and the company liked it enough to carry it forward to the C500 which got a Reference status award here. But the latter 2 models are quite long in the tooth now and can be had heavily discounted across many shopping sites at the moment.

Does anyone know or have an inkling where QA are likely to go next with Gelcore etc. Do we think they see the 3010i, 3020i & 3030i series as sufficient to push business forward or will we get a ‘ Gelcore mark 2’ series of affordable speakers to titillate our sonic tastebuds soon?

I asked last year from QA and the person said new cheaper Concept range will come at some point, but not soon. Clearly they are missing modern looking product in that 400-500£ price range so hopefully we see it this year. 3000 range came 2015. 3000i range came 2018, so next will be 4000 serie perhaps later this year or 2022.

No Atmos upfiring speakers coming as they don´t believe the concept of upfiring "bounce". The 7000i satellite range will continue as being lifestyle range they get updated often 10years between or more if they keep selling good. Hifi ranges are the more popular ones and they get updated more often to create new hype. The 3070 sub is to be discontinued, not bad idea seeing amp issues etc.

No larger center channels in plan, but he passed my "wish" to forward so who knows. I think they can gather some data from Mission as they now offer two center channels on LX II range which is direct competitor.

As for Concept vs. 2000i/3000i range here is one reply after chat:

With regards to the Concept 20, they do share the same driver as the 2000i series although there was a slightly different finish applied to the cone. As you have rightly mentioned, a lot of the performance in the Concept range comes from the cabinet design and technology implemented such as Gelcore.

The crossover components were also a step up from the 2000i to Concept and also, the Concept 20 can be bi-wired whereas 3000i cannot. The HF driver is also larger in the Concept 20 at 25mm as opposed to 22mm in the 3020i, so you should find greater dispersion coupled with lower distortion from the cabinet in the Concept 20.

password1

Ive always read that the concept 20 and 2020i share the same drivers but assumed the different coloured cones were lighting.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom