1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where next for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mark.king, Mar 11, 2005.

1. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok this is what I have. Arcam alpha 6 cd player. Audiolab 8000s amp. Moniter audio silver 8i's. For cinema I have added a yamha dsp e800 and I have a pioneer 444 dvd player. I have posted on other threads about wanting to upgrade the dvd player to cover dvd and cd's. Will pay around £2000 for this if it is the right decision. Just don't really know where to start. Would the audilab be ok with more expensive speakers or even els type speakers?

Any idea's that will give me a point o start from would be helpfull. Cheers

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Mark taking your £2000 budget and looking at yhe kit you have in place I would suggest thus :

Toshiba SD-9500 DVD-V/Audio player for sale on Ebay for £399 Buy now from an outfit called MKTelevisions these stunning DVD players are now end of line from Toshiba they were £2000 – Do a search above on the forums for threads about them – the only thing I will say is how many DVD players do you know with Balanced XLR outputs and have 2 digital inputs ?

http://www.wvip.co.uk/images/hardware/DVDPlayers/Toshiba/ToshibaSD-9500.jpg
    http://www.wvip.co.uk/images/hardware/DVDPlayers/Toshiba/ToshibaSD-9500_rear.jpg

£400 of budget spent.

Next new amp, you have a couple of options here : buy second hand (Primare A30.1 or NAD S300 Silverline both XLR equipped) or consider a new device the best thing Ive seen for years spec wise : the TACT SD2175 semi digital amplifer :

http://www.tactaudio.dk/amp_sdai2175.html XLR inputs again. £1100 direct from TACT UK you can home demo. £1100 - £1500 spent.

I would try the above in your system with the 8Is and see what it sounds like, then if your not happy you still have £500 to play about with, ie on a DAC upgrade or £500 on speakers once you sell your current kit. Or keep the Arcam/Audiolab for a second system. £2000 on DVD player to be used with a 8000A is not giving you full potential IMHO.

HTHs.

3. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some interesting things to look into there. It's a 8000s which was much better than the 8000a by the way. Noticed the tosh only has progressive on ntsc. The review of sound quality is not that good either. Sound quality on CD is the most important factor for me

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yeah Mark its sound crud on CD :rotfl: Not to my ears FWIW. I think its sounds great with all its discs : CD, HDCD, DVD-V & DVD-A. I slightly prefer my TAG DAC 20, but could easily live with it as my digital source, go and read the reviews of the £1095 thread on the DVD forum. FWIW £2000 on a CD/DVD player in your system for hifi/stereo use is overkill when you consider the rest of your kit (no offence intended).

Why not consider Amp + DAC upgrade ?

5. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will have to think about this. I do need a new dvd as the cheap poineer is just not good enough. It's ok through my 42" plasma but not enough detail on a projector (borrowed a good one from work) System wise I am not sure. I wanted to upgrade somepart to top class so I can follow with the rest. Thanks for the help.