• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Where is the support for Panasonic 735 WiFi ??

Panasonic BWT735 satisfaction poll.

• I think quite a few changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not buy a Panasonic BWT735 again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machloop

Having owned a BWT-735 for about twelve months now I am concerned with the absence of any new apps for the wifi - why are they not pushing any updates ? The lack of apps for ITV-player, demand4, demand5 etc. is a real negative against this feature. I am sure that technically these machines are fine, well built using good quality bits but the software in this machine has an air of being a 'work in progress' by a gang of cowboys. Or am I the only dissatisfied customer ?
What improvements would you like to see ?

MAX1210

Having owned a BWT-735 for about twelve months now I am concerned with the absence of any new apps for the wifi - why are they not pushing any updates ? The lack of apps for ITV-player, demand4, demand5 etc. is a real negative against this feature. I am sure that technically these machines are fine, well built using good quality bits but the software in this machine has an air of being a 'work in progress' by a gang of cowboys. Or am I the only dissatisfied customer ?

ITV, Channel 4 and 5 have signed exclusive agreements with other brands. Samsung are the only brand to have itvPlayer and 4oD on their TV's and BluRay players for example.

Panasonic have found a loophole for 2014 though. They have got the Freetime app on selected TV models this year, but we won't see that on Panasonic PVRs or BluRay products just yet. This maybe due to a rights issue.

Machloop

ITV, Channel 4 and 5 have signed exclusive agreements with other brands.

That does seem weird as obviously these catch up services are available free to anyone with a computer, tablet or netbook etc. and they provide these channels to drum up more business. But nothing surprises me much about viewing services anymore. I'm sure that if a TV company can screw a few extra quid out of manufacturers they will. But if Panasonic just give us an internet browser app customers can access what ever they want.

MAX1210

That does seem weird as obviously these catch up services are available free to anyone with a computer, tablet or netbook etc. and they provide these channels to drum up more business. But nothing surprises me much about viewing services anymore. I'm sure that if a TV company can screw a few extra quid out of manufacturers they will. But if Panasonic just give us an internet browser app customers can access what ever they want.

That's not true either. On the outgoing Panasonic TV range, the web browser on the basic models doesn't support flash therefore no video playback, and on the higher end models that do support flash on the browser, itvPlayer does work but 4oD and Demand 5 don't, its comes up with sort of "digital rights issue"

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Even if rights issues could be overcome it would not make any difference.

Panasonic never 'retrofit' any features onto a machine. The only exception being features that are not ready, but are advertised as part of the feature set at point of sale.

If you want additional features with Panasonic devices you have to buy the 'next model'.

Machloop

Panasonic never 'retrofit' any features onto a machine.

But Panny do issue updates to the wifi service in the form of new apps. I see that they have released another new app for the 735 this week. They should write and issue apps to get us catch-up tv.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAX1210

But Panny do issue updates to the wifi service in the form of new apps. I see that they have released another new app for the 735 this week. They should write and issue apps to get us catch-up tv.

The last app to be launched was on 11th March 2014 (Safari for kids) which was released by a 3rd party. Panasonic themselves don't write many apps, they certainly can't write the catch up ones, that would be down to the broadcaster, who as mentioned previously, are in exclusive tie ins with other brands.

ptb2014

Novice Member
I've had an issue playing one particular Blu Ray. How do I go about updating the firmware on my recorder? In the hope this might fix the issue

I have just worked out how to do this vias my wireless router. However the disc has taken almost 7 minutes to show anything. I get a green flame telling me the unit is linking to my wifi. This lasts around another minuted before I finally get the disc top menu. As I am not downloading the movie I do not understand this. Anyone got any isdeas

Last edited:

ptb2014

Novice Member
One simple thing, why cannot I put the list of recordings into alphabetical order other than when in copy mode? Then of course I'd like the ability to record more HD channels, but that is down to broadcasters rather than Panasonic I think. A connection to the Freesat on my TV enabling me to at least record those channels in HD, if not the Sky channels which I can only record at SD.

MAX1210

I've had an issue playing one particular Blu Ray. How do I go about updating the firmware on my recorder? In the hope this might fix the issue

The last software update for this machine was Oct 22nd 2013 to version 1.10 - what version are you on? To update, simply make sure your machine is connected to your network and go into system update in the setup menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom