Where is the killer launch title?

JonStatt

Going right the way back to the PS1 launch, Wipeout was considered the killer launch title....I put more hours into that than many games I bought subsequently. I was blown away by it at the time.

Subsequent console launches had titles rated way up too.

The Wii has lots of GOOD titles, maybe even very good, but it seems to be lacking the EXCELLENT titles. Fortunately the novelty value of the new control mechanism is peaking our interest and that in itself is enough for me right now.

Nevertheless I am surprised there wasn't one launch title, that had graphics at least on par with Resident Evil 4, gameplay to rival the best Mario games, immersion and game length to match a Zelda, and full use of the new control mechanism to ensure it brings something new to the table.

Anyone else agree?

Don't get me wrong...I love my Wii and am playing it a lot. I just would have thought there would be one killer title that could be identified as the first King of Wii.

Jonathan

D

Deleted member 65413

Have you even heard of The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess?

One of the greatest games ever made, certainly the greatest ever launch title. What a strange post. You looking for a game that looks as good as RE4, and the lenght of Zelda, yet you have it sitting on shop shelves.

SoleFever

Novice Member
Well IMO Zelda is one of the best launch titles you could have asked for on any system.

lentini

what was the PS2 'killer' launch title?

what was the 360 'killer' launch title?

what was the PS3 'killer' lauch title?

err....?

JonStatt

I have Zelda. I think its very good...I don't think its excellent in terms of its graphics. Good art direction yes..but not RE4 graphics by a long way.

Jonathan

SoleFever

Novice Member
I have Zelda. I think its very good...I don't think its excellent in terms of its graphics. Good art direction yes..but not RE4 graphics by a long way.

Jonathan
I think zelda looks very good but to each his own i suppose .It's not all about graphics though is it, last time i checked people brought games for Gameplay not graphics.And that's what Zelda is all about ,Gameplay and IMO it goes far beyond excellent in that department.

JonStatt

what was the PS2 'killer' launch title?

what was the 360 'killer' launch title?

what was the PS3 'killer' lauch title?

err....?
I believe Kameo and PGR3 were considered killer launch titles for the 360.

I can't recall the PS2 launch titles now. As for PS3, I think it doesn't have any good ones either. And that could be its undoing!

mrdixon

Banned
Sorry but Zelda is the title your looking for.

The graphics are actually beyond what i was hoping for and so far it is my 2nd fav zelda, OOT being the no1 still.

addyb

Distinguished Member
I agree Zelda is one of the best launch titles to ever come out for a system. When i got my 360 there were no killer games at launch IMO

JonStatt

I think zelda looks very good but to each his own i suppose .It's not all about graphics though is it, last time i checked people brought games for Gameplay not graphics.And that's what Zelda is all about ,Gameplay and IMO it goes far beyond excellent in that department.
In the reviews of Zelda in magazines etc, the graphical quality is listed as a negative. I agree gameplay is the most important. But a Killer Title would normally have nothing listed in the negatives, or very small. For Zelda, reviews include comments such as

"graphics and sound sometimes go from nostalgic to dated."

Please understand, I love my Wii...I was just curious on whether people feel the killer title is missing from the Wii launch.

Jonathan

mrdixon

Banned
And all we were saying is yes we feel there is a killer title.

I have to say so far the line-up seems to consist mainly of mini-game based fun games. Its probably a really smart because i'm having enough fun to last me for months so hopefully by then a few more 'proper' games will be out.

Not to bash the mini games, i do love my mini games, but it would be nice to be able to get some serious full on gaming on the go.

bigdaddysokol

Standard Member
I'm not a Wii owner but I can see where you're coming from. I think 'killer apps' have been missing from the Wii, 360 and PS3 launch lineups. I wonder whether this isn't, in part, due to the premature launch of Microsofts latest console (premature in that intial consoles had a tendency to self-destruct :( ). IMO Nintendo and Sony must have felt the need to launch as soon as possible after seeing the 360 make its entrance in 2005, despite its patchy availability and performance in the first few weeks. Perhaps neither company actually wanted to bring their consoles to market when they did - the PS2 was hardly becoming unpopular and Ninty seemed to be dominating the handheld market. By rushing to launch (just my opinion), development time may have been sacrificed, meaning that we'll have to wait a while longer until groundbreaking games arrive.

I'm probably totally off the mark but ah well ;)

leicesterlad

Novice Member
I think it's a bit different this time with the Wii.

The BIG selling point for launch is the control system not necessarily any particular games.
I think it was obvious we were going to get Zelda or Mario as launch titles as they are Nintendo mascots really.
To have the games we have got AND the amazing control system, I think we've done pretty well.

Imagine what we'll be doing with the Wiimote in a years time......:eek:

D

Deleted member 65413

I think Zelda looks stunning! I must be in the minority.

samat2001

Novice Member
Graphics are a bi-product - gameplay is where it's at. Tetris was the killer title for Gameboy - no complaining about graphics there. Zelda has the playability and gameplay of some of the greatest games ever - don't know how you can think this is anything other than a killer title.

BTW - The 'Killer' titles for the PS2 at launch were considered to be Tekken Tag Tournament & Timesplitters.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I agree Zelda is one of the best launch titles to ever come out for a system. When i got my 360 there were no killer games at launch IMO
and IMO there still isnt one, sorry i love my 360 but i havent played a single game on it that has kept my interest to keep playing till the end.

as for Zelda, the only reason someone hasnt found me dead in my chair like a hong kong guy hooked on gameboy is because of that darn component cable, i was hooked on Zelda TP since i started playing it but refuse to go back to it till i can get that darn cable!

it does feel good to get engrossed in a game again to the point of not wanting to stop, and IMO only nintendo/rare/square can do that. infact i havent been this hooked since Zelda WW

djjimbob

I thought Super Monkey Ball was a killer launch title on the Cube. (Got 9/10 in EDGE). The graphics on that were "functional" to say the least.

Can't believe Zelda is being dissed for not having enough graphical flare.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Well considering that Zelda has a gamesranking score of 95.4% i'd say that's a killer enough launch title for anyone to be honest.

Also, like has been mentioned, the Wii's real killer app is it's controller and the future promise that brings!

The 360 had a load of decent games on it (I really enjoyed Kameo, PGR3, COD2 etc.) but whilst they were all good I wouldn't say that they were Killer launch titles. The level was consistantly good though and that's more important IMO than just one killer title. Looking slightly ahead, i'm sure that Mario Galaxy and Metroid 3 will be killer games as well.:)

jim_is_ere

Well considering that Zelda has a gamesranking score of 95.4% i'd say that's a killer enough launch title for anyone to be honest.

Also, like has been mentioned, the Wii's real killer app is it's controller and the future promise that brings!

The 360 had a load of decent games on it (I really enjoyed Kameo, PGR3, COD2 etc.) but whilst they were all good I wouldn't say that they were Killer launch titles. The level was consistantly good though and that's more important IMO than just one killer title. Looking slightly ahead, i'm sure that Mario Galaxy and Metroid 3 will be killer games as well.:)
so cas have you gone on bought a wii? ;)

cheers

Jim

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Killer launch titles are a rarity for just about every system. Recently there was Halo for the Xbox, and before that there was Super Mario 64 for the N64, but just about every other console launch has never showed the true worth of the hardware - so don't panic.

That said, Zelda could turn out to be just that title, but only time will tell. I'm very impressed so far.

KingOfGondor

Novice Member
i'd agree with ssx for ps2, thqats what i got at launch and was amazing, admittedly Timesplitters was good but i didn't actually own it

secombe

Novice Member
Zelda, obviously. Probably the highest rated launch game ever made, considering 75% of Wii owners have bought it I would say "killer" sums it up pretty well.

I'm in the Wii Sports camp though, this seems to have surprised a hell of a lot of people (I know two people who bought at launch and haven't opened Zelda yet because they can't stop playing Wii Sports.) and in my opinion is one of the better games I've played in the past 5 years. The depth is incredible when you really get into it, I've put 15 hours in so far (more than many normal games last from start to finish) and have still hardly scratched the surface of Training Mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett