Where is the fault???

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by bob1, Sep 12, 2007.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I have change things around the last couple of weeks ,the items i have change have been the motherboard and processor.
    So this is what i have
    Msi K8MM3-V motherboard
    Sempron 64 3400+ cpu
    512mb ddr400
    ti4200 graphics card

The graphics seem fine ,i don't play many games but i do like a bit of ut2004 ,if i play this it all seems fine for the first 10/15mins and then the graphics all go funny ,things start to disappear and then it just crashes in the end.
    Could this be the graphics card at fault or something else,i don't really want to spend money on the graphics if its not that.

Thanks.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,762
    Not sure if your system is up to the job.

Unless I am completely wrong (and I often am/are etc!) here it looks like you have a decent CPU but with a very small amount of ram and a very very old graphics card?

Although this link:http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/page7.html
    shows that the ti 4200 can run it. So maybe you have other problems??

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    The graphics card and ram is the same as the one in the old system and it ran it ok and never faulted ,i have just tried the original ut and it hardily runs unless i run it in GL mode, the on board graphics runs that fine ,ut2004 is very poor as you would expect using the on board graphics.

4. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Just a couple of things you can check and do, uninstall all graphic card and motherboard drivers, disable the onboard (if motherboard has it) graphics, do a google for driver cleaner, install and run in safe mode to get rid of any driver files that may be left on your system, then re-install motherboard drivers followed by the graphic card drivers, this might work it might not but it gives a base to work from.

Curly

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I have erased the harddrive plus reformatted put the drivers back and and its better, but it still isn't any good, while playing a few strange things happened but not the same as before ,it just crashed in the end :confused:, i'm on the verge of getting a new graphics card but don't want to spend money for nowt.

I don't suppose anyone knows why my new sata dvd drive won't let me put windows on,it boots up says windows is checking harware and does nothing,i have to open my case and put an old drive on an ide cable, a few more days of this and it going in the bin:suicide:

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I seem to have solved the problem, i hope ,the card was sat on the desk in front of me and for some reason i took the heat sink and fan off , the silloicone heat grease had gone hard and crusty even with lumps in, i have cleaned it off and put some fresh on, seems fine so far, i tested it for about an hour without any problems.