Where is the chest thumping bass located? Poll

In which frequency range does the chest thumping bass reside?

• 20Hz - 40Hz

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • 40Hz - 60Hz

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • 60Hz - 80Hz

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • 80Hz - 100Hz

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • 100Hz - 120Hz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John24ssj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Simple question to which there are many answers, so where do you think the chest thumping bass is actually located?

80Hz seems to be that sweet spot for bass, but a large horn loaded speaker will give you that chest thumping bass over a wider range of frequencies.

Many smaller speakers are tuned with a hump around 80Hz as that's where we perceive the "heartbeat" to be most prominent. If you check out the frequency of a bass drum in a military band, they will often be tuned to 80Hz, as it seems to work best to keep everyone in step!

Simple question to which there are many answers, so where do you think the chest thumping bass is actually located?
If there was an option of 50-70
I would choose that. Also the article on YouTube is very good as well. Will
Check out his other videos as well

From someone who reviews and measures subwoofers;

Tactile sensation is mostly felt in the 50 to 125 Hz range (resonant frequency of chest cavity).

I would say 50hz and above, although with some music with bass lines even higher than 120hz I can still feel the bit in my chest. I think it is a function of placement and spl. The feeling for me only becomes visceral above 100dbc in the midbass region.

Where the option for none of the above?

For that snappy chest punchy you need a fast articulate dynamic system, and one of the most critical attributes to that lies in the time domain. Get that bit wrong and the options in you're poll are all a bit superfluous.

From someone who reviews and measures subwoofers;

Tactile sensation is mostly felt in the 50 to 125 Hz range (resonant frequency of chest cavity).
I feel most of tactile responses around 30-40 Hz
Below 25 Hz or so I get that "underwater" pressure effect
40-to about 60 Hz I get the thumping effects

In addition to John Wick movies, I find the Dark Knight to be another great movie to test the chest thumping effects. Pay attention to the bass each time Batman fights someone, I bet it's around the 40-50 Hz area

Actually a better question would be at what volume did the chest thumping bass occurs? I realised I only every listen at -10 on the receiver and might never get that chest thumping bass if I'm listening loud enough???

Prior to watching the video in the link earlier in the thread I'd have said 40-60hz. An extra few db lift at 40hz used to work wonders with my one of my previous Subs (Velodyne DD15).

Actually a better question would be at what volume did the chest thumping bass occurs? I realised I only every listen at -10 on the receiver and might never get that chest thumping bass if I'm listening loud enough???

Ideally you need to wind up the volume a bit or alternatively up the SW level a few db to compensate for a lower listening level.

You should still get some effect at -10db MV though.

Ideally you need to wind up the volume a bit or alternatively up the SW level a few db to compensate for a lower listening level.

You should still get some effect at -10db MV though.
Don't get me wrong the picture frames on the walls shake and the sofa vibrates when bass section come on in the movies but no tactile feedback on the body itself that I was expecting

Don't get me wrong the picture frames on the walls shake and the sofa vibrates when bass section come on in the movies but no tactile feedback on the body itself that I was expecting

What Sub do you have currently?

dual sub setup: BKElec Monolith Plus + XTZ 12.17 Edge

I would have thought it would be possible with those. Perhaps you're getting more low end than higher up the sub range?

I would have thought it would be possible with those. Perhaps you're getting more low end than higher up the sub range?

One thing we have talked with John is he has quite big space with opening. How much that is going to affect it. @John24ssj if you could post a picture that shows the largish room and opening to other space without door.

One thing we have talked with John is he has quite big space with opening. How much that is going to affect it. @John24ssj if you could post a picture that shows the largish room and opening to other space without door.

Floor plan:
Floor Plan.png

Frequency response:
Responce.png

That's a fair size area, mind you, your current response is pretty good though. Have you tried increasing the SW level a few db over what you have now to see if it helps at your -10db MV listening level?

That's a fair size area, mind you, your current response is pretty good though. Have you tried increasing the SW level a few db over what you have now to see if it helps at your -10db MV listening level?
Well I got a mix of music and movies. I did go 4dB hot and it did give a decent boost but kinda had a negative effect on music where bass became overemphasized thus I didnt bother pushing it further. After Audyssey calibration I do get -8dB as the trim thus I do have plenty of headroom I guess but haven't tried to push it that far.

Well I got a mix of music and movies. I did go 4dB hot and it did give a decent boost but kinda had a negative effect on music where bass became overemphasized thus I didnt bother pushing it further. After Audyssey calibration I do get -8dB as the trim thus I do have plenty of headroom I guess but haven't tried to push it that far.

Do you use Dynamic EQ at all? If not, just try switching it on and see what it does to the bass. Try the 0db and -5db level offsets at -10db MV.

Yes I am using Dynamic EQ. And I shall give other options a go

Yes I am using Dynamic EQ. And I shall give other options a go

If using Dynamic EQ then tinker with the Offset but don't increase the SW level from where it was set when running Audyssey. If you want to increase the SW level then turn Dynamic EQ off.

It can get a bit overpowering if you increase the SW level with Dynamic EQ on.

dual sub setup: BKElec Monolith Plus + XTZ 12.17 Edge
Looking at the subs you're using, I'm not entirely surprised at what you report. While the monolith is (was?) famous for being quite musical (usually how people describe a particular punchy subwoofer) it's still a ported sub. Your also running 2 ported subs.

For the most articulate sub bass reproduction you need a very clean subwoofer that times very well. Even the best well designed ported subwoofers ihnerantly move away from what is technically considered the required to meet this criteria. Essentially, the bass needs to be accurate and not be time smeared in any way. Having more that one sub in play makes that more difficult, and a port essentially acts kind of like a sub in its own right. This means your system effectively has 4 sources of sub bass, all with their own individual profiles, and you are trying to get all that to time in perfect harmony, which is no easy task. If there is any smearing in the time domain at all you're going to be moving away from this time domain accuracy goal. Add to this that a lot of ported subwoofers have a tonal character akin to a low Q sealed system, and its quite easy to believe your system is capable of low end tactile rumbles, but might not quite have the real mid bass slam.

Whilst I agree that time domain smearing is bad, and that you want as articulate system as possible, I don’t think this is the issue.

My main speakers for example, DIYSG HT12s are ported to 50hz, and hit very very hard in the midbass, giving lots of ‘slam’. My old ported 21s, hit very very hard, my sealed car sub, also hits hard.

Many people are getting great results and lots of slam using ported subs and mains. Granted there are group delay issues around the tune of ported subs, further worsened by the use of HPF, but EQing sealed subs also introduces group delay. I don’t want to turn this into the ported v sealed debate that has been done to death, with some insisting sealed are better and ported are better. Yes sealed offers the most accuracy, but I don’t believe that is the issue here. I think the main goal for me anyway, is consistent group delay characteristics across the crossover region.

The many club and festival systems I have heard, all use ported or horn subs to achieve that heart thumping midbass, that we often try to recreate in the home. These systems aren’t as accurate as our home systems, but often sound wonderful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom