Where is the 300hr low contrast proved?

I

itsallgood

Hi guys.

After ages we've finaly got our new plasma, havent had time to set it up today.

But i wanted to know about the first 300hrs of having the tv on low contrast.

I've read about it a lot on here, but its not mentioned in the manuel, so my family dont belive what i've read on a forum :(

Is there any offical reccomendation of having the settings on low contrast and "cinmea mode" for 300hrs???

How could i best explain to them that its really worth doing?

p.s the tv is the px60

Many thanks

I bought a Hitachi 7200 in April and was very careful with it in the first 200 hours or so, putting on the low settings, zooming out logo's etc and I have never had a hint of retention, let alone screenburn.

I got my PX60 three weeks ago and have had the settings up high since day 1.. again, I haven't had a seconds' retention.. so I don't know what the definitive answer is......

settingsxz6.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAW: CFC, your settings are searingly high ...A very quick run through THX optimiser is what you need to do, you may be surprised at where that has your settings.

Yikes....... I'll run the THX optimiser!...now!

Thank you MAW: I've just run the THX optimiser thingy on the Incredibles DVD, and although there is a fair bit of leeway, it led me to the following... which I find a little dark TBH, but the colours do seem better saturated..... Might be a case of living with it for a while.

settings2wi3.jpg

CFC, your settings are searingly high, I'd get retina burn off that. What we find, setting up a plasma every couple of days minimum, is that set to realistic levels eliminates the need for low contrast and brightness. A very quick run through DVE, or the THX optimiser is what you need to do, you may be surprised at where that has your settings. If you cannot run your screen at that level without retention, it's not fit for purpose (TV watching) and should be returned.

Your screen can take it, but the picture will be better for it. Another tip, mate. sky services-setup-picture settings, on screen icon timeout, set to 'on', save settings, backup. The red dot will magically disappear after 2 mins.

God i never knew there was a setting for that damn red dot!!

It annoys the hell out of me!:mad:

I've just set it to turn off now! Thanks!:thumbsup:

CFC, your settings are searingly high, I'd get retina burn off that. What we find, setting up a plasma every couple of days minimum, is that set to realistic levels eliminates the need for low contrast and brightness. A very quick run through DVE, or the THX optimiser is what you need to do, you may be surprised at where that has your settings. If you cannot run your screen at that level without retention, it's not fit for purpose (TV watching) and should be returned.

Hi MAW,

I was wondering, as you've mentioned DVE, would you happen to know if it would be best to pick up a copy on DVD or HD DVD?

Many Thanks.

EDIT: I thought that the HD DVD was already released in the US but I was mistaken.

Your screen can take it, but the picture will be better for it. Another tip, mate. sky services-setup-picture settings, on screen icon timeout, set to 'on', save settings, backup. The red dot will magically disappear after 2 mins.

Er thought it was 30 seconds. which is even better

It's fairly complicated, and takes some time. THX optimiser is free with every THX disc, gives you a 5 minute setup that should give you safe and realistic settings. Nowhere near as thorough as DVE, but hey, it's free and it works.

It's fairly complicated, and takes some time. THX optimiser is free with every THX disc, gives you a 5 minute setup that should give you safe and realistic settings. Nowhere near as thorough as DVE, but hey, it's free and it works.

Is the THX optimiser on the monsters inc dvd or the latest starwars,these are the only THX discs i have.

I read reviews on that DVE, and its supposed to be very hard to use -- it gives you the tests, but dosnt tell you what to do with them.

Anyway, any site i can show offically about this low settings for 300hrs burn-in thing that everyone on here reccommends?

Many thanks

I read reviews on that DVE, and its supposed to be very hard to use -- it gives you the tests, but dosnt tell you what to do with them.

Anyway, any site i can show offically about this low settings for 300hrs burn-in thing that everyone on here reccommends?

Many thanks

Im currentley running my ph9 in on -20 settings and am at about 35hours (BTW think its 200hrs most recommend, not 300) but wouldn't mind getting it to its correct setting for xmas.

I'm interested that MAW thinks I should be able to run it out of the box set up with DVE. My brain would tend to agree, if the DVE sets it to -5 say, whats in the screen that would suddenly go into meltdown over those 10 to 15 points difference? So is this 200 hours thing just an urban myth? Is there actually a case of someone on here who hasn't run in the screen and now has problems compared to someone who has? Is it something left over from 4/5 years ago when plasma screens were maybe more prone to screen burn?

To be honest, unless someone has some citations on this, it does have all the hallmarks of a classic fear based urban myth!:rolleyes:

OK, so this is from panasonic november2004, in how to treat your plasma back then - Im assuming this has come on since then for panels such as my ph9:

Plasma Break-In
Like a fine new automobile, the performance of a plasma TV can be
optimized by allowing a break-in period. By properly following these simple
break-in instructions, you should be rewarded with long-term enjoyment of
your plasma TV.
Plasma phosphors are most susceptible to image retention in the first
hundred hours of use. The panel becomes considerably less sensitive to
burn-in after this period.
Very often, televisions, including plasma, are shipped from the factory with
the contrast control at a high setting to provide a bright picture under typical
dealer showroom lighting conditions. In your home, the room light levels are
usually one half or less than that in retail showrooms. The contrast control
may need to be lowered in your home for comfortable contrast levels that do
not induce eye strain.
When the plasma is initially installed, videophiles say it is best to do the
following:
y Make sure the display is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely
fills the screen (there are often three or more settings from which to
choose). The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the
“Just” mode.
y Turn down the picture control (contrast) to 50% or less.
y Briefly engage the 4:3 mode to confirm the side bars are set to mid-gray
(there is usually an adjustment in the Set Up menu that takes the
sidebars from black to gray) to minimize the chance of burn-in.
y Return the set to a “full screen” (Just, Zoom, Full) position during the
first hundred hours of use.
y During the first hundred hours of use it is best not to view the same
channel for extended periods. This should prevent channel logos and
other fixed images found on some channels from being retained.
y Avoid any static images (video games, computer images, DVD title
screens, etc.) during the hundred-hour break-in.

After the hundred-hour break-in period, during the next nine-hundred hours:)eek: ):

y Continue to retain the picture setting at 50% or less.
y Limit the use of 4:3 aspect ratio mode (traditional picture size that does
not fill the entire screen) to 15% of viewing time.
y Limit the use of static images (computer, video games, etc.) to less than
10% of viewing time.
After one-thousand viewing hours, panels are much less likely to experience
image burn-in.

Cheers for the link DorKnight,

I read it, but damn 1000hrs! i thought the 300hr was longn enough.

That was 2004, so hopefully they are better now and dont take aslong.

I asked choddo2006 about the 1000 hours, I think that if it's run in along the lines outlined for the 200/300 hours then you should be OK.

My 42PX60 arrived yesterday and I will be pretty anal with running it in for the first 200 hours.

I had a 42" Panny W5 before my Pioneer 507XD and I've run neither in what so ever. I find the very idea ludicrous. And I worked in the plasma/lcd repair industry for 6 years.

I calibrate my TV's using the THX optimiser when I buy them and leave them at that.

Even Panasonic don't tell you to do it. They specifically state "videophiles suggest". Nowhere do they actually say do this or your telly will break.

They specifically state "videophiles suggest". Nowhere do they actually say do this or your telly will break.
Which is probably why they're also not actively publishing that material anymore, to avoid scaring off potential punters who worry that they genuinely will burn in their expensive new screen.

I've noticed on the website they just say:

Screen burn

Why does it matter?
Screen burn, or ‘burn in', can occur with some TVs if you leave a particularly bright image element, like a channel logo, on screen for too long at a time. What happens is that the phosphors can eventually ‘tire' where that logo is located, leaving a permanent shadow of the bright picture element behind. Obviously this is a very undesirable situation – especially as there's no real way of getting rid of burn in once it's occurred.

Myth
Plasma TVs are seriously prone to burn in.

Fact
In the early days, plasma TVs were susceptible to screen burn. However, this issue has been largely eliminated thanks to greater use of built-in screen-saving systems and major phosphors improvements.

Example
You can now play computer games or watch logo-heavy channels (e.g. CNN) on a plasma TV without worrying about various static image elements being on the screen for a long period of time.
Taken from: http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk though it's the 2004 White Paper which contains the other info.

Which is probably why they're also not actively publishing that material anymore, to avoid scaring off potential punters who worry that they genuinely will burn in their expensive new screen.

Dont get if you mean its false or simply not openly discussed anymore?:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom