1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Purple Cat thread ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by William, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What happened to the Purple Cat thread regarding the PLV-Z2, availability and dead pixel checks ?

William

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    They obviously decided to delete it becasue they were having such a hard time.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Does that mean the starter of a thread can delete the whole thread?

Seems rather an excessive privilege to have. :eek:

4. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is just my personal View

I think "the cat" was after some free advertising/quick sales
    and when the milk turned sour.............

5. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Starkiller,

My thoughts entirely.

Umu

6. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That was the second time the thread was taken down.....the first, which prompted me putting up this thread, ( I see my namesake has posted it again)was due to some remarks by Purple Cat, and another member being tidied up.

I watched all last night if that would be the case again, but no, the Feline had fled, and presumably taken the thread with her.

This thread, also dissapeared when the original Purple Cat thread was restored.....and I'm glad to see it back up again this time by William.

I never did like cat's at the best of times.....dog's I think are more honest creatures, unless you end up purchasing one..... but that leads us back to where we don't really want to go.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    After this - not any more.
    I am disappointed by the irrational and excessive reaction by posters to their dead pixel policy. Which is reasonable IMO.
    And Starkiller's comment was utterly rediculous.

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought some rather cogent and useful arguments for DPCs were put forward by posters in the now defunct thread. In fact, given Mr Taylors shenanigans I thought posters were remarkably restrained. IMO a tough stance should be taken against such underhand attempts at “spin” as it damages the whole credibility of the forum.

As for Purple Cats motives for suddenly appearing on the forum, only they know what they really wanted to achieve but I think in the light of the uncovering of the above mentioned shenanigans Starkiller’s post was not totally absurd.

Edited to get the "kittens" name right :blush:

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I argued the reason why many customers like/want DPCs .. the thread got a little out of hand only because of some of the rubbish posted by their employee, AFAICR.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Stuart

having read all the threads in question I do believe that the forum members comments were not aimed specifically at the dead pixel policy per se, rather the justification that was being offered for that policy.

Surely posters on a forum such this are well aware that anything they (whether an individual or retailer) say (or write) is open to scrutiny and likely to be challenged at every level. Isn't that one of the purposes and benefits of forums? If someone does not like what is being said or the replies that are being given then simply don't post. And I won't even comment on the response from 'their employee'.

To then delete their thread in it's entirety (replies and all) puts the whole thing into perspective me thinks.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Trying to remember the opening post, I think it definitely WAS in large part a publicity exercise saying in effect "look all you people waiting for someone else to deliver WE can" ... isn't that sometimes called in journalist circles advertorial at the very least?

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Spectre,

I was under the impression that the privelege to delete posts was reserved for mods, supermods and admin.............. I guess you learn something new everyday;

I was disappointed to see the thread pulled, tbh - I thought that the motives exposed by some of the posting was instructive, and it would also serve as a warning to others who might consider that kind of stunt in the future.........
    ...........however I understand that intemperate language in posting can have implcations for the forum which fall on admins shoulders.

Sean G.

13. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I don't think they were given a "hard time" and as the original threat developed with the sudden appearance of the "frustrated" (Purple Cat's expression) Mr. Taylor, who was subsequently outed as one of the Cat's kittens, anything said, implied or posted was fair game under the circumstances, as long as it did not breach any rules of the forum, which in my opinion, it did not.

Anyway, if they gained publicity, or if indeed that was their gameplan...to my way of thinking....the cream has turned distinctly sour

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    I think it's totally unfair for a company to state why they don't do pixel checks to be then criticised. There are good reasons for not doing pixel checks and these were given.
    For users to then go on and insult the company is completely out of the question and if I had seen the thread before it was deleted I'm under the impression I would have had some serious PMming to do to get certain members to post in a more responsible way.
    Their original post states it was made for the benefit of the forum members and it is the job of moderators to decide when a post is an 'advertorial' or not and deal with it appropriately. We decided that the post was ok and it is not the place of forum members to criticise the company's motivations in posting.
    Lastly with regard to 'Mr Taylor': having spoken to Jennifer at Purple Cat, I understand that he posted without the knowledge or concent of the management and his job is now in jeopardy for posting under the pretense of being unrelated to the company.
    I've seen emnployees of companies (and indeed management) do this a lot. It's a naieve and rather stupid tactic which usually gets 'outed' and casts doubt on the integrity of the company in question. On this occasion I think it was an employee with strong feelings and bad judgement rather than company policy.
    I'm closing this thread because the opriginal question has been answered. Would posters please exercise the correct amount of common sense and intelligence before making frankly rash and irresponsible remarks in future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.