Where is my problem?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Ivah, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The last few days each time I switched my Panasonic TV on I got "New channels found etc.". I let it go through the automatic tuning process which it said it had completed, couldn't spot any differences but each switch on it went through it again. Last night did a manual update which started by saying channels would be lost. Since then (repeated this morning) can only get C46 stations. I am on Sedbergh transmitter (only one that has ever worked for me although LA2 8QZ search says Kendal, it is off a Kendal feed so that might be the reason) so I should also get C40 and C43. I can't work out if it is a TV fault, transmitter fault or aerial fault. It worries me it was wanting to update but obviously failing although all the channels were working at this stage. I've posted to UKFree without response but it says Sedbergh is OK although it looks like it had issues at the weekend. I posted to Panasonic with no response. Any ideas please?

2. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You should find that there is a menu option to stop those nag messages. It may be something like "New Channel Message" in the "Display" menu under Setup.

You should only need to rescan when there are channel changes that you already know will be of use to you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Turn off the "New Services Message" option within the tuning menu.

4. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - I had found that but I assumed if it was trying to do an update there must be a change so I didn't want to disable it.
    I said in my original post I had done a manual update, I had if fact done a manual trigger of an automatic update. Since then I have done a channel by channel manual update. Ch46 is fine with a good signal. Ch43, the HD channel, has now found all its stations but at low quality. Ch40 has found nothing but looking at the station list, eg ITV4, I have never received them through Freeview.
    I think I need to find out somehow if this signal should be getting to me at a reasonable strength and if so do I need to look at aerial/booster upgrade. This information seems hard to come by with nobody responding from UKFree.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    This is not necessarily correct.

These channel 'nuisance' messages are very common now since the digital change over.
    Transmitters are now more powerful and it is very common to receive duplicate channels from more than one transmitter.

This fools tuners into thinking there are new channels available when in reality they are just a duplicate set so as advised it is usually better to turn these information messages OFF as they are so often spurious.
    ( As it happens this particular message may not be - There have been changes to Film4)

Do you know which transmitter you should be receiving from?

6. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - if you pop back to the top you will see I am on the Sedbergh transmitter, that is a Kendal repeater. I doubt it is interference as I can barely receive even that one (it was appalling when it was analogue). According to Digital UK it transmits on channels 40, 43 and 46 at good quality. According to UKFree 46 covers the common SD stations, 43 the common HD stations and 40 some odds and ends including Film4 (no wonder these repeaters are referred to as Freeview Lite). But according to Freeview I can only receive the common SD and HD stations, which is what I have got back to but with 43 at a lower quality than 46, quality being what the diagnostics tell me not the picture quality - HD is HD. I am trying to find out if this is normal for the edge of the range or can I invest in my receiving kit to improve the diagnostic quality and possibly add the channel 40 stations.

7. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    The new channel message will probably have been because Film4 has just appeared on the PSB2 mux... ch40 ... which is the one you are having problems with.

I note from UKFreeTV that it has moved to ch40 from ch50 (late last year).

Do you have any video recorders, Sky boxes, etc.,. in the aerial circuit before the TV? If so check the RF modulator(s) are set well away from the Sedbergh frequencies.

Also disconnect any hdmi devices (remove both ends of the cables).
    Switch off DECT phones, modems, routers etc.,. and see if it helps with reception at all.

After that we'll need a detailed description or photo of the aerial, where it is, and also any amplifiers (boosters) ... plus ideally your location (but you should not wish to reveal your exact address - but another within 100m may be close enough?)

8. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rodders.
    My postcode is in my first post and there is a bit of a clue in my username if you want to pinpoint a location.
    I only started all this because of the nags having thought I was receiving all that was available, it now seems not. By the way, nothing had been moved or changed until the issue started.
    Before replying to you I decided to check again. HD diagnostic quality on Ch43 had improved so I scanned Ch40 again and behold stations including Film4 appeared, poor diagnostics but a picture.
    Last night I sent all the information to UKDigital but am still awaiting a reply, I would be so pleased if somebody said there had been some work being done on Sedbergh.
    As to my installation. It is a large 25 year old aerial in the loft. It blew off the roof one Christmas and we have had it in the loft ever since! I am thinking of changing the aerial and seeing if I can find a way of upgrading the old brown coax from loft to lounge. It is a divided loft so well away from plumbing. I have a booster near the TV and I use another channel of it to give a signal to a DAB device (Denon M39). The TV is Panasonic TX-P42G30B and has two HDMI devices attached - Panasonic Blu-ray and Humax Foxsat-HDR. We do have DECT in the same room but its base station and broadband router are the other side a 2' stone wall.

9. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    It is worth going through the elimination processes - however unlikely they seem - as if they are the cause they'll be easier to fix!

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/la2+8qz/10/0/vq1imgubrd4u8jvde5gvjjb5s2
    suggests you should get good reception on all channels - but only via Sedbergh. Local obstructions or trees between your aerial location and the transmitter aerials may cause some issues.
    A loft aerial may need adjusting to get equal reception on all frequencies due to 'standing wave' issues... Moving the aerial within a cube of space with sides of 3 ft or 1 m at most .. higher/lower, left/right, fore/aft while always pointing directly to the transmitter may find the sweet spot where all 3 frequencies are received equally.

At 24km from a 100W relay you will need a highish gain aerial plus masthead amplifier... and the losses involved by not being outside (typically 10dB or 1/10th of that outside) may be a big factor in your issues?

Read the aerialsandtv website for a good background on aerial selection / choice.

Do also go over all your aerial plug/sockets/connections to make sure they are undamaged, clean and soundly made - sometimes the simplest things can make the biggest difference!

10. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again Rodders.
    Bought a Labgear 450W High Gain Aerial. Couldn't pull the old brown coax out of the trunking in my wall but using exactly all I had left on a drum of PH100 satellite cable I found a route with my network cables from loft to lounge. As a first try put the new aerial lower down on the same pole as the old aerial in the loft and connected it straight to the TV without using the booster. Switched on and got a depressing "No Signal" for a few seconds then the picture appeared. It was BBC2HD so I checked the quality - Green 10/10!!!! Manually tuned all three channels to make sure I had all the stations and checked the quality of BBC1 from the one group and Film4 from the other - both Green 10. So system perfect, bit worried about tidying up for fear of disturbing something. I had an old circular FM aerial up there too and that works the Denon DAB so I don't need them to share. Digital UK have told me no work has been done on the Sedbergh transmitter so I still don't know what created the instability but at least it has had a happy outcome.
    Thanks again.