Where is my Blu-Ray Playback Software?

Jonesy012

Hey guys, just wondering if I can get a little help over here.

Today I went to watch a BD movie on my desktop for the first time since I left for Uni 9 months ago. I don't think I ever watched one on it before as we have a Blu-Ray player downstairs. I tried it because I am prepping it all to go up to Uni with me next year and I have encountered an issue.

There seems to be no software with which to playback my movies even though I bought a BD drive. What?

I thought it must be that the software disk is still in the LG BD/HDDVD player box but it isn't. And further to this, I have found I would need to purchase software in order to make them play.

Unless I am wrong somewhere, how the ?!$% is anybody getting away with this? Even MS own movie player doesn't support BD playback? ***?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm going to be ****** if I need to buy software on top of the drive itself.

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

graham.myers

if you bought an oem drive then you dont normally get the bd playback software. Its usually the retail kits that come with bd playback software and its usually PowerDVD. Also, the one shipped is usually the lite version which only gives stereo not full hd audio. Again you have to upgrade to the full version (£50 ish) to get that.

tis a big con I agree. I usually have to add in TMT 5 (now around £73) for full hd playback to my builds

Jonesy012

if you bought an oem drive then you dont normally get the bd playback software. Its usually the retail kits that come with bd playback software and its usually PowerDVD. Also, the one shipped is usually the lite version which only gives stereo not full hd audio. Again you have to upgrade to the full version (£50 ish) to get that.

tis a big con I agree. I usually have to add in TMT 5 (now around £73) for full hd playback to my builds
I could probably buy a BD player for that and plug it into the monitor. I guess I'll have to make a decision to get the full version as I bought some headphones to watch BD movies and play games. Biggg con.

Thanks guys.

Oh before I wrap this thread up; any news on plans for Windows to bring out Blu-Ray support.

MarkE19

There's no need to spend £50+ for PowerDVD if you only need stereo audio. Just do a search for 'powerdvd oem' to find it available from about £4 delivered.

I would doubt MS would add BluRay playback support to Win7 - XP didn't even get support for DVD, native support was only added to Vista when it was released.

Mark.

Jonesy012

There's no need to spend £50+ for PowerDVD if you only need stereo audio. Just do a search for 'powerdvd oem' to find it available from about £4 delivered.

I would doubt MS would add BluRay playback support to Win7 - XP didn't even get support for DVD, native support was only added to Vista when it was released.

Mark.
Lol really? This must be the most under-handed section of the PC industry. As if you can buy something like a blu-ray player and not get the right software to take advantage of it.

Thanks for the help

MarkE19

I would guess they see it as:
You could buy software on a BD disc and therefore only need a drive to read it, not any software to play it.
If they don't supply it then the drive is cheaper and you have a choice of what to buy.

As I say DVD playback software was never integrated into XP, so another program is needed to play a DVD film but not to install software from a DVD disc. Even buying an OEM DVD burner often gets supplied without any software to burn a disc.

Mark.

pho

MS was a supporter of HDDVD which was a direct rival of Sony's Bluray. Their game console XBOX, also a rival of Sony's PS3, only support an external HDDVD drive for movie playback and never support Bluray after the format war. They don't even have all out support of HDDVD back in the days. There was a saying that MS don't believe in physical disc but content download is the future. If Windows get built in support of Bluray then MS has to pay loyalty fee to its rival for every copy of Windows sold and pump up the price. Don't think that is in MS's to do list.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
OEM software will need to be bought with some form of hardware to be 100% legitimate technically :) (unless someone changed the rules when I wasn't watching)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom